"I Need to Think About It"

We're missing the conversation prior to this point. How open are they to changing their insurance?

There are always people either in the market or out of the market. Just because someone tells you you want to know, doesn't mean their really interested. Who knows what they have going on in their life right now.

The other thing a lot of people forget to think about is, saving people money, while nice, isn't always a huge priority and moving has a cost. You could call me up out of the blue and legitimately believe you could save me $200 per year on my car insurance, but unless it's a "sign here and we're done" sort of deal, chances are I'm not going to get around to doing it anytime soon. Home inspection, I can't begin to imagine what people think that involves.

Let them think about it. You can't talk a green cherry into being red. Even though there are people who like to think they can.

The leads I work are either internet leads, walk ins, or call ins. The last two I consider solid prospects as they are being up front. I think everyone would agree internet leads can go either way. I have many of those very open to switching and those that swear on the bible they didn't fill anything out.

I'm lost on this moving has a cost thing. When I give someone a quote, that's the price. So it would be a "sign here and we're done" deal. I'm unclear on how it would be any other way.

I was just talking with my coworker, and it's agreed even saying things like inspector or talking about it any other time besides the absolute last thing, would not be in my best interest.

The leads I work are either internet leads, walk ins, or call ins. The last two I consider solid prospects as they are being up front. I think everyone would agree internet leads can go either way. I have many of those very open to switching and those that swear on the bible they didn't fill anything out.

I'm lost on this moving has a cost thing. When I give someone a quote, that's the price. So it would be a "sign here and we're done" deal. I'm unclear on how it would be any other way.

I was just talking with my coworker, and it's agreed even saying things like inspector or talking about it any other time besides the absolute last thing, would not be in my best interest.

Time equals money. So you have to deliver enough value to overcome the time lost in switching.

Vol got it exactly.

As for the rest of your dilemma, this might help a little. It's all about learning to read people.
I just googled the test and did one quickly. Test stated I'm a strong S. Mostly true. Maybe it's because I'm in my second month and I'm just overly eager to get sales I'm missing the little things such as taking time, being patient, and letting things unfold on their own.

Steadiness: People with high "S" styles scores want a steady pace, security, and do not like sudden change. High "S" individuals are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced

Mr. prospect,

There isn't anything to think about at this point because we don't even know if you're approved or not. See, I am the guy/gal that helps you apply for this. The company is the one that thinks about it and decides whether or not you're even qualified to get this coverage. The fact is, not everyone is approved for this.

Let's get this application over to see if you are qualified or not. Just like a job application, when you sent it in, you weren't guaranteed the job, or even a call back. Same thing? Does this make sense?

Start writing the application.

We get this a lot as an objection which isn't a big deal as it's going to happen. For me, I have been getting this response not after closing, but during a different part of the conversation which seems to shut the door. As an example, here is a conversation I just had.

prospect: We pay about $400/m for both cars and the house.
me: our coverage is __ for __ your payment for the auto is $173/m. Tell me about your house...
prospect: house stuff....
me: Sounds good! We'll have an inspector confirm the sq. ft. of your house, garage, etc. Does that sound good?
prospect: I need to think about it....

IMO, you're transitioning too boldly to having the inspector come over. I think you need to soften it up and let the prospect feel more respected and in control.

I would say something like "The next step in the process to secure this rate, is to have our inspector come over and give your house a 'once over'. His name is Joe and he's a really neat guy. He just needs to confirm visually what you just told me.

Which time of day is usually better for you - mornings or afternoons - to have Joe come over?"

Notice that you're indicating what's next. You're virtually introducing 'Joe' (I hope you can do that) and you're asking about a good time of day... which implies giving permission, instead of just asking for permission flat out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Crap. I responded to an old thread.

Last edited:
Mr. prospect,

There isn't anything to think about at this point because we don't even know if you're approved or not. See, I am the guy/gal that helps you apply for this. The company is the one that thinks about it and decides whether or not you're even qualified to get this coverage. The fact is, not everyone is approved for this.

Let's get this application over to see if you are qualified or not. Just like a job application, when you sent it in, you weren't guaranteed the job, or even a call back. Same thing? Does this make sense?

Start writing the application.

If I am talking to someone dumb enough for this one to work I would prefer not to work with them.

Last edited:
Back