Introduction and Beginning of My Journey

Danielsfuture

Hello everybody I want to say that I have been reading the information in these forums for quite some time and I think its time I come out of the insurance forum closet. There is so much good information on these forums, although most is just experienced posters derailing threads which imo is quality entertainment.

I figure I should give a strong intro where I leave out nothing so that my intentions and history are out there. This way I think Ill be able to get the best advice possible from readers.

Reader Beware! Wall of text incoming.

My name is Daniel and I am interested in becoming and independent multi-line insurance agent/producer. I like to think that I have aspirations of one day opening my own agency. I hope to one day become a one stop shop being able to actually take care of and quote the best prices for my clients. One day I hope to sell and understand a large variety of products of which to offer my clients. I do however understand that I need to start somewhere and expand my knowledge over time.

Semi-recent history about myself:
I am a 27 year old graduate from the University of South Florida with a degree in Criminology. I had aspirations of going to law school when at the last minute decided that it was not the career for me. I have no debt because I worked my butt off and paid for everything myself. After college I was living in Sarasota near my family. I started working in a few restaurants to make some money. After a while I found myself working in a fine dining establishment. I realized that I felt very comfortable up selling and loved the rush of when I sold an expensive bottle of wine. I knew that a career in sales was right for me. My father is a successful financial adviser and after talking with him one night I decided to check out insurance. I was offered a job with prudential and farmers but ended up turning them down. Turns out I was turned off by how they just wanted me to sell out my family and friends on the 100 list and I did not want to sell out my family and friends unless I was 100% sure that I could take good care of them. This in the end turned me off of insurance and I ended up taking a look at an MLM company. I started selling products for Melaleuca. While I did pretty well selling their products I started to feel bad that I was selling the overpriced products that they had to purchase a minimum every month. I felt like I was taking advantage of the people I sold to and bewitching them into selling under me. So I stopped selling and looked to a different type of business, vending. I had a bit of money saved up just sitting in the bank and I was looking for something productive to do with it. I started a small vending operation mostly selling and pitching my healthy vending machines to Gyms, YMCAs, and schools. Things were looking great. All while I was selling melaleuca and servicing my vending machines I was still working at the restaurant keeping my sales verbiage sharp. A close friend of mine was working for a PEO and they were looking for a guy to do their workers comp. They offered to train me up and help me get started. This was my second look at insurance this time I got to see the inside of the business working directly with multiple carriers and their adjusters. I found myself opening and managing workers compensation claims for 20,000 employees in 20+ states. Each state had different carrier coverage. I would train the client companies staff on how to properly open and file a workers compensation claim and acted as a middle man when getting it to the carriers. After working for this company for only 5-6 months I got news that I would eventually need to move to Minnesota because my now fiance would be going to school at U of M for her masters in Occupational therapy. (getting married December 28th). This brings me to the present I am now an unemployed 27 year old living in Hastings MN who needs to get a move on with his career because I am getting married soon and am hungry to succeed!

To the insurance part!
After recently talking to a retired state farm agency owner of 25 years and reviewing endless information in this forum I have decided that Independent Agent is the way I want to go. I had no idea that one could be an independent agent until recently selling and quoting multiple carriers to find the best price for your clients is right up my alley! I want to eventually be a one stop shop opening an agency that specialized in multiple types of insurance and build a book of business that I can be proud of. But I need to start somewhere. I am getting ready to go knock on doors of surrounding agencies but I am nervous that they wont give me the time of day being green. So my current plan unless advice on here tells me otherwise is to get a job at a restaurant (do what you know) and study for the licenses during the day. I feel like I will be more attractive to an independent agency if I already have and paid for my licenses. Or maybe it is possible to get a different job at an agency while i study and sit on my tests. Id rather not have an agency pay for my licenses if they do that because I want to be attractive to them for hopes of securing a decent contract. Should I be emailing resumes/cover letters or walking in the door handing them to agency owners. I know the pitfalls and turnover of being an insurance agent as well. But I think that I have a very strong family tie/ family friend network that will allow me to get quite a few great referrals. I know how to market myself and set appointments. One thing that worries me is that I will need to get licensed in multiple states MN, FL, and prob OH. Would this be a problem? Another issue seems to be that we may move back to Sarasota after my fiance Colleen finishes school 3-4 years from now. Would my business that I do in MN follow with me to Florida to allow me enough time get started back up in a different state? Or would I need to start over from scratch. I wouldn't try and sell my friends/family then because I would want to be the one to service them and take care of them.

I am hungry to learn and get into the game. If you took the time to read all of that I thank you very much. I am willing to find any books/online training and soak everything and anything up. I am a fast learner and a hard worker. I want to know the products that I am selling inside and out, but I also want to know in my heart that I am selling a competitive product. That I can say to my grandmother confidently, "Id like to give you a quote when your insurance comes due I think I can save you some money."

If I cannot find work now at an agency and have to go to work in a restaurant again while I study for my licences. Which should I start with knowing that I intend to hold as many as I can. Maybe start with P&C, the L&H, then go for my series 6/63.

I probably left some stuff out but if any questions pop up ill keep updating. Any advice helps! I have very little financial obligation in the next 3 years and minimal expenses so I am pretty sure I wont be apart of the 92 or so percent that wash out of insurance. I am highly motivated by money and once I see the check come in it will only fuel my fire. I just want to be able to provide my future children with a decent education and a junker car when they turn 16.

Chasing the dream. Thank you for your time!

-Daniel
:idea:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Come on, fellas, one at a time. Plenty of me to go around!

Last edited:
Here's your problem (that you don't yet see):

You are assuming that licensing = competency.

It doesn't.

You need to LEARN the business from someone or somewhere so you can learn "what stupid is and stupid does".

The majority of licensing classes are glorified IQ tests. Can you cram to pass an exam? Many people can, but not everyone.

And these forums do not replace the need for having a solid method of training and learning, so don't assume that this forum can do that for you.

Is your father going to help train you?

If so, is he going to train you on HIS level... or on YOUR level?

Will he teach you to take over his practice in a succession plan?

He might be your best mentor to actually LEARN this business... because that is what you need right now.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were going to go knock on ins agents doors...EXCELLENT!
I would add to that cold call agents that may be farther away from you. This will show the agent 2 huge traits...
1. You aren't afraid to cold call.
2. Your phone voice and how you present yourself.

Both valuable assets to any agency.

Go for it, and Good Luck!

Here's your problem (that you don't yet see):

You are assuming that licensing = competency.

It doesn't.

You need to LEARN the business from someone or somewhere so you can learn "what stupid is and stupid does".

The majority of licensing classes are glorified IQ tests. Can you cram to pass an exam? Many people can, but not everyone.

And these forums do not replace the need for having a solid method of training and learning, so don't assume that this forum can do that for you.

Is your father going to help train you?

If so, is he going to train you on HIS level... or on YOUR level?

Will he teach you to take over his practice in a succession plan?

He might be your best mentor to actually LEARN this business... because that is what you need right now.

Sorry but you seem to have misinterpreted my intentions for getting my licenses before getting experience. I understand that licenses are a cram and easy and that will absolutely not be a problem for me to pass those tests. However I am at the point now where I am actively searching for this "experience" somebody to show me the ins and outs. I am looking for somebody that will give me a chance and I needed advice for how I could best go about finding somebody like that. I was just wondering if having my licenses already would make me more attractive to the type of person I am looking for.

On a side note my father is a financial adviser who also writes a few of his clients life policies. He is always there for me for guidance but I want to grow into insurance and not stocks. I am sure one day when he retires that he will point me in the right direction to possibly service some of his clients.

Thank you for your response :)
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were going to go knock on ins agents doors...EXCELLENT!
I would add to that cold call agents that may be farther away from you. This will show the agent 2 huge traits...
1. You aren't afraid to cold call.
2. Your phone voice and how you present yourself.

Both valuable assets to any agency.

Go for it, and Good Luck!

Thank you for your advice! Why cold call agents that are farther away from me though? Why not the independent agencies that are right around the corner.

I read on one of the getting started forums somewhere that a great way to see which agencies are hiring is to get in touch with one of the sales managers for a local insurance school. The post said that they reach out to the agencies and will know when one is looking for somebody. But I cant find any local schools around 55033 by the twin cities, everything seems to be online now. Anybody have any contacts. If anybody gives me a local contact that ends up progressing my career in any way I will buy you pizza! (take that to the bank)
you wil do great in this biz

Straight to the point and positive! I do very well with positive reinforcement than you for your comment and taking the time to read my story!

Last edited:
Here is one idea. Call up the Minneapolis NAIFA association and describe your situation. Ask if they know anyone who may be a good source and willing to point you in the right direction. It may be a dead end or you may get lucky. Have your wife ask the other people she knows who they have as their insurance agent, ask your neighbors as well. That should get you started.

P.S. Be glad you were not in Hastings a few years ago when they were repairing the bridge into town.

Here is one idea. Call up the Minneapolis NAIFA association and describe your situation. Ask if they know anyone who may be a good source and willing to point you in the right direction. It may be a dead end or you may get lucky. Have your wife ask the other people she knows who they have as their insurance agent, ask your neighbors as well. That should get you started.

P.S. Be glad you were not in Hastings a few years ago when they were repairing the bridge into town.

Thank you! They just built a new bridge that opened yesterday. I'll try asking the naifa. Wonder what type of person I am looking for at the naifa? My only real expense coming up will be a small rent of 600 bucks plus car loans and cell phone bill. I just need to clear that much money for a month. Other than that ramen noodles will be ok for me!

Looks like my thread is slowing down. I knocked on some doors today and have an appointment with an agency owner tonight ill update later with how it went!
Well I went out today and knocked on quite a few places doors. Some did only life, some did only p&C, but the last one not only peaked my interest the most, he offered me a spot. Its a independent insurance agency that does Auto, Home, Life, Health, Commercial, Specialty Lines and Annuities. The agency has over 50 years experience between their 3-4 agents/2CSR's. The agency owner offered to mentor me and provide me with all the basics. Flexible schedule work as much as I want and as hard as I want from home if I want. Knowing me ill probably be the one to turn the lights on in the morning and the one to turn the lights off at night. They have quite a few carriers that he says he is able to offer people very competitive rates. All the support and training I need for free. Most important though I can grow my own book of business 100% no buyouts no catches. He was a stand up guy and a straight shooter. I think i will be ok on commission only at first maybe get a night job to supplement.

He will offer me support in whichever line or niche I fit in to or focus on. I think I will start out with P&C then go from there. I still need to check some of the commission/contract stuff on forum to see where I stand. But I am green and will need to be trained so the contract is 50%split + bonuses. (didnt get into bonuses will have to find out soon what he means by this) Then as my book of business grows that rate goes up. He said that if I had a million in premium it would be a 75% rate.

I feel like I am getting into something good here, but I just wanted to document my adventure in this thread if anybody still stops in.

Thanks for tuning in.

Last edited:
Looks like my thread is slowing down. I knocked on some doors today and have an appointment with an agency owner tonight ill update later with how it went!
Well I went out today and knocked on quite a few places doors. Some did only life, some did only p&C, but the last one not only peaked my interest the most, he offered me a spot. Its a independent insurance agency that does Auto, Home, Life, Health, Commercial, Specialty Lines and Annuities. The agency has over 50 years experience between their 3-4 agents/2CSR's. The agency owner offered to mentor me and provide me with all the basics. Flexible schedule work as much as I want and as hard as I want from home if I want. Knowing me ill probably be the one to turn the lights on in the morning and the one to turn the lights off at night. They have quite a few carriers that he says he is able to offer people very competitive rates. All the support and training I need for free. Most important though I can grow my own book of business 100% no buyouts no catches. He was a stand up guy and a straight shooter. I think i will be ok on commission only at first maybe get a night job to supplement.

He will offer me support in whichever line or niche I fit in to or focus on. I think I will start out with P&C then go from there. I still need to check some of the commission/contract stuff on forum to see where I stand. But I am green and will need to be trained so the contract is 50%split + bonuses. (didnt get into bonuses will have to find out soon what he means by this) Then as my book of business grows that rate goes up. He said that if I had a million in premium it would be a 75% rate.

I feel like I am getting into something good here, but I just wanted to document my adventure in this thread if anybody still stops in.

Thanks for tuning in.

I would ask for a 60/40 split to start.

Back