Is Aflac worth working for?

Phillip Dinh

I accepted a job offer but did not sign the final documents yet. This sales job would have good upward mobility and it's very likely I can reach a 30/hr salary within 4-5 months.

On the other hand, I was pitched by an Aflac Regional Director, it was a video conference and he kept overselling the company for over an hour, but he made some good points but did not really explain exactly how I would be prospecting. I'm told that they get leads by "adverse selection" and there is a "71%" conversion rate with the leads. Also, he talks about how having Aflac insurance can only be an asset like there would be no cons at all, he literally did not give a single con. He also pitched that I would be making around $100k first year and am guaranteed to make a lot of money per quarter because I have a trainer helping me and their bonuses are contingent on me hitting certain thresholds.

I am very skeptical of all these claims. Also, what would the sales training be like? Is the trainer going to encourage me to sell to my "warmest market" (friends,families, people I do business with)? If they are going to encourage this, then I need to know now so I can stay far away from them. If I were to type Aflac on my maps, I could see literally 25 Aflac agencies within a 28-mile radius, so this seems to be profitable, but also very competitive.

Anyway, should I try my hand at the Aflac agent position? Also, do all insurance recruiters pretend that we're handpicked candidates? I have never been rejected from an insurance position that I applied for. Regardless of my skepticism and probably tons of Aflac posts in the past, I wanted to create a new one because maybe things have changed? I don't know, can someone educate me or give their two cents please.

Aflac agencies? More likely aflac agents going into and out of the same businesses you will be calling on. You will split your commission 50/50 with any manager who 'helps' you with a sale. Many managers will insist on being the 'writing agent' on business you gather. Can you make 100K? You might be the ONE that succeeds. More likely you will go broke like the other 100 agents who have failed in your area. AFLAC is a great product but churns through agents monthly

I know a few AFLAC agents that have done quite well. But I know more who have failed within a few months. It also sounds like your area may be oversaturated.

No. I left after 6 months. There is a 99% chance you will make less than $100k in your first year unless you are personal friends or family with the HR manager of a very large company.

$30/h is double what most 1st year aflac agents make if they figured it out into hourly pay.

Most aflac offices prospect by going door to door at businesses.

"Adverse selection" leads are not really a thing in this industry. And the term itself makes no sense. The term refers to one party having a piece of critical information that is not disclosed for some reason or another. Its usually a negative thing for an insurance carrier.

Long story short. This "manager" is full of crap.

Last edited:
That is true of almost all life and health insurance agents.. Not just AFLAC.
True that. I failed out from a couple of companies myself before finding my niche. I never tried AFLAC, but I worked with Colonial Life, who are virtually identical, for about 6 years. I think that was the hardest gig of any I’ve tried. Having virtually no business connections, as @scagnt83 suggested, made it nearly impossible to make decent money. I only lasted as long as I did because I was writing individual insurance (mainly FE) on the side.

True that. I failed out from a couple of companies myself before finding my niche. I never tried AFLAC, but I worked with Colonial Life, who are virtually identical, for about 6 years. I think that was the hardest gig of any I’ve tried. Having virtually no business connections, as @scagnt83 suggested, made it nearly impossible to make decent money. I only lasted as long as I did because I was writing individual insurance (mainly FE) on the side.

Imo, Colonial is easier to make it vs. Aflac. Especially if you are an enroller and not an "opener" or whatever they call the salespeople who open up the group initially. Enrollers just show up and talk to employees, so there is at least the guarantee of some money. Enrollers who are willing to travel and have good numbers can make real money. Ive known some who travel all over the country and pull in over $100k per year. Openers have no guarantee of money, but they can also enroll the group if they wish and make even more money.

Plus Colonial's products are far better than Aflac, or they used to be at least. Ive brought in Colonial on groups of mine in the past. I would never bring in Aflac to one of my groups... its overpriced crap.

Back