Is Aflac worth working for?

That is seldom beneficial.. Most have an axe to grind or seek to put the blame for their failure on someone else..

Disagree heartily... if that were the case why would anyone listen to someone on here... plenty of sharpen objects being flashed around on a daily basis. And why in the world would an older agent discourage someone from speaking to another who has been there done that.

If an agent can't navigate potential crap shoveled over by another agent, how in the world are they going to meet people in the field and learn how to use a shovel.

Warning: Sales folks are often the most easy sale.

@Phillip Dinh... if you are serious about getting an answer to your questions, make sure you do your research. Part of that may very well be an interview with a past Aflac agent. Some may call this an "exiting interview" done quite frequently in the real world. And as this is a Profession and not just a JOB... I would strongly suggest you dig deep.

Additional: I worked with a past Aflac agent very closely. He and I would meet on a regular basis. His reason for leaving was unfulfilled promises. We entered the field of the Indy about he same time. His skill set was poor and he was out in about 4 years. Nice guy just wasn't really his fit.

I accepted a job offer but did not sign the final documents yet. This sales job would have good upward mobility and it's very likely I can reach a 30/hr salary within 4-5 months.

I don't even have to read the rest of your post (although I certainly understand your skepticism of being 'oversold' on this.)

This is a business... not a job. Don't do it. You have a salary mentality rather than a hustle to create value and do deals mentality. I can't remember the last time I thought of my earnings in an "hourly wage"? I close individual deals and each one takes its own period of time... and I work far more than 40 hours a week.

Make sure you "interview the interviewer" because YOU are the one taking the risk with your reputation, income, connections, etc.

I can't remember the last time I thought of my earnings in an "hourly wage"? I close individual deals and each one takes its own period of time... and I work far more than 40 hours a week.

I would challenge you on this statement. I get your point about mindset, this isnt about the OP. But I feel an experienced agent should absolutely be thinking about that to an extent.

Your time is your most valuable asset after knowledge.

"How much did this task earn for me over the past hour" is an extremely valid question for an agent to ask themselves.
Or
"is this task something that directly contributes to my business earning money"

Part of what Im getting at is, can that task be effectively outsourced at an hourly rate lower than what your money making tasks make you??

The other part of my point is about taking on clients. Or even the types of cases you work and niche you work in. Its not all about money of course, but that is the main reason we are doing this right? I find that very few agents really breakdown their activities, even the focus of their practice, to that level. And it can really be eye opening when you do.

Absolutely. I guess I'm more engrossed in serving and selling than I am in wondering how much my time has been worth?

In an LDS talk by one of our past leaders, Gordon B. Hinkley was talking about a time when he was on his mission feeling discouraged. He wrote to his father about it.

His father responded: "Forget yourself and go to work."

Sweet Is the Work: Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th President of the Church

I'm not saying you're wrong at all. Just different.

Run and run fast. I called for Aflac back in the day. Aflac product is good but their infrastructure is a mess. The agents work independently so they have no way of telling who just got called. The Aflac districts that work as team do much better. but still.... you could have 5 Aflac guys call the same business in an hour... its a good carrier to offer along with other supplemental markets like Colonial etc... I sure as hell wouldn't lead with it, they rubbed business owners the wrong way for years and got an awful rep.

The reality of making money with Aflac is that they pay you quickly when you enroll a business and submit applications and you only need a few applications from the employees to generate a nice check, the trick is finding the business willing to take on Aflac. One of my friends showed me a stack of Aflac business cards from agents who had called on his shop. I saw that as an opportunity because he had not signed with anyone yet. I wrote 7 of his employees and the business owner plus a second business in the same building. The downside? My manager made me split the business 60/40 with her, yes, made me split business with her. The employees did not really understand Aflac and would present their Aflac card at a physicians office or ER and then quit Aflac participation. The second business I wrote that day had the owner decline, thinking his employee wife would pick him up on her application, and the wife did not. He then had medical stuff done for a pre-existing condition and Aflac turned him down for his claim. His entire business quit the program and I had a real nice chargeback. Great products but over-saturation of old agents, new agents, managers, etc.

Are you providing unbias information or are you sharpening something. :laugh:;)

LOL. Just speaking from experience on that one!

I was literally talking about this just last week to my significant other. Pretty sure I used that exact phrase then too.

Dont get me started on just the overall need of their main products vs. other products that most people do not have already. The main products agents are told to push are Accident/HI/Dental/Vision/Cancer. "Does the employee have adequate life or di?? Who gives af?! Those products arent competitive so we dont push those hard!"

Aflac has sold countless supp policies to low income workers, taking away valuable dollars that could/should have been used to purchase basic Disability & Life Insurance.

The cancer policy isnt/wasnt that bad of a product, assuming you have all your other insurance in line already, which most people they enrolled did not.

Back