Lee/Internet Leads Done Right

Hi Guys! My first post here and I thought this would be a great spot to provide some value. Full disclosure, I am not an agent. I have been in digital direct response marketing for over 15 years. I have generated millions of dollars in ad revenue from verticals ranging from big brands (Disney, Kraft, etc), dating sites, diet and weight loss supplements, eCommerce and now we are moving to lead generation. I am putting my feelers out there first to really understand the market beforehand. My best friend is going through the process to acquire his medicare license and I am going to work with him to generate quality leads so he can focus his attention on closing his client.

My First Impression About Lee

I actually called Lee and him and I spoke a bit. He definitely seems like he has the experience under his belt. He will set you up with everything nuts and bolts including a landing page to collect your leads. He will also show you how Facebook works and you can run your own ads and generate your own traffic. He handles all the technical knowhow and he is a one-man shop which makes him easy to directly get ahold of.

Things To Consider Running Facebook Media Campaigns

You need to ask yourself where will your efforts be utilized the most efficiently that will yield you the greatest success. I imagine it can be very stressful when you just want to focus on working with your clients, but first need to also become proficient in media buying. Both are full time professions. Sure, you can throw up a few ads and without optimizing your campaigns back into a $15-20 CPA and this might work. A few challenges you may encounter include:

• How much time will running media campaigns take you?
  • How will you compete against other higher performing ads if Facebook is not giving you the highest quality click traffic because you are losing bids for a low Clickthrough rate (CTR)?
  • Are you going to set up a re-targeting campaign(s)?
  • Are you split testing your creatives, demographics and interests?
  • Who will make new creatives for you?
  • Who will create new copy for you?
  • Are you building lookalike audiences?
  • Are you familiar with Facebook's ad policies?
  • What happens if your Facebook account gets restricted?
  • Are you optimizing your landing pages?
  • Are you measuring user on page activity and Google Analytics?
  • Do you think your time is more valuable trying to balance media campaigns or doing what you know best?

There is A LOT that goes into media buying. It is also expensive. The deal I have worked out with my friend who is obtaining his medicare license is he is going to fund the media campaigns and we are not charging a dime. There is no risk to us since it is his test budget. We will custom code/develop his custom landing page and launch/manage the ad campaigns. After we have some data we will be able to see the lead quality and either back into a CPA or charge a percentage of ad spend and scale from there. My problem is I am not sure this model is sustainable enough if we want to scale our leads. If he only can handle 10-20 leads per day and we want to scale to 500/day this is where publishers have issues since they have nowhere to send their additional traffic.

Advantages and Disadvantages Working With Lee

I would say the biggest advantage of working with Lee is you get full control and transparency. You will also be delivered everything including a lead form page, hosting, domain registration, and other technical set up. The downside is you are now shifting focus away from your business to manage ad campaigns. Also, I am not sure if you have the ability to make changes to your page if you want to split test other versions and optimize your funnel. This may be for more advanced media campaign. Although Lee claims managing Facebook campaigns will require minimal time, I am certain you will not be fully maximizing the potential of running your ads putting in minimal time. One of the most important pieces of your business is only getting minimal time. The alternative of buying leads from other sources can be scary because of the risk of not knowing what you will get or where it is coming from again losing transparency and control, but if you find a solid source that you can trust it could prove to be mutually profitable partnership.

Pay Per Call

Another strategy is Pay Per Call. Rather than generate leads, the user is directed to a landing page and they click a "Call Now!" button. This immediately directs their phone to call a number that is re-routed to your phone. There are endless ways you can create funnels and that is both the fun and headache of being a media buyer. Does the campaign target high quality leads on its own through the creative and ad copy that you can directly send the call without screening? Do you pre-screen the user with a checklist of questions? Do they get sent to a preliminary call center who transfers the warm leads to you to close?

I hope this helped shed some light on the digital media aspect!

Back