Lighting a Fire Under Your Prospects.

The line about non-competes being invalid is great unless your former employer decides to sue and make an example of you. I had a 2 yr non-compete when I left my last corp job. They sued me 23 months later. Took over a year to settle. Cost me $20k in legal fees before they agreed to drop it with prejudice.

The $20k was just the tip of the iceberg. Probably lost another $50k in commission income because of the time involved in fighting it.

The line about non-competes being invalid is great unless your former employer decides to sue and make an example of you. I had a 2 yr non-compete when I left my last corp job. They sued me 23 months later. Took over a year to settle. Cost me $20k in legal fees before they agreed to drop it with prejudice.

The $20k was just the tip of the iceberg. Probably lost another $50k in commission income because of the time involved in fighting it.

I completely agree and said as much earlier. Perhaps you should have spoken with Gooner's attorney and counter sued. :goofy:

I completely agree and said as much earlier. Perhaps you should have spoken with Gooner's attorney and counter sued. :goofy:

Lol, what's funny is my attorney is closer to Bob than he his to me. The case I was referencing was a large settlement with a business partner from a preschool. Corporate then tried to enforce the clause in our franchise agreement, it cost me $500 for the letter and the threat of the counter suit, but they dropped it.

And I was making a general statement, obviously every situation is different...as you acknowledged most no competes are usually found invalid. My first point to Bill was that the commute to another city seemed goofy for a no compete...now violating a no solicitation clause is a wee bit different

This is what my former manager at Dixie and the recruiters did, absconded with all kinds of client files and proprietary information. They asked for a war, got one, and lost.:err: Always thought non-disclosures, non-solicitations, and non-competes were all kind of the same thing. Guess not. Always learning something new here on the forum. Thanks fellas!

Noncompete in the insurance world....You sell a P&C agency and as part of the sale includes a Noncompete stating for a period of time and for a geographic region you will not sell certain insurance products in not competing with the agency you sold to..... no solicit means soliciting existing customers were as Noncompete means not selling to anyone even someone that had never heard of your previous agency.

Lol, what's funny is my attorney is closer to Bob than he his to me. The case I was referencing was a large settlement with a business partner from a preschool. Corporate then tried to enforce the clause in our franchise agreement, it cost me $500 for the letter and the threat of the counter suit, but they dropped it.

And I was making a general statement, obviously every situation is different...as you acknowledged most no competes are usually found invalid. My first point to Bill was that the commute to another city seemed goofy for a no compete...now violating a no solicitation clause is a wee bit different

They are even harder to enforce in Ga - Right to work state, but as you stated non disclosures are the bees knees and usually always enforceable.

Back