Magnet for my car door

Does anyone hear use a magnetic sign to hang on their car door, advertising your services?

I’m thinking of doing this, so I’d love to read any feedback on this topic from you all.

have a great day out there!

I thought about doing this a few years ago and ultimately decided against it.

How often do YOU see a magnet or number on a work vehicle and say, "I gotta call them for x?" For me, never.

However, I have called a number to complain about the driver.

Will it work? Maybe over time.. Will it be worth the hassle? Not in my opinion.

I don't even tell people what I do unless they ask. My marketing is all about them coming to me ready to do something.

I thought about doing this a few years ago and ultimately decided against it.

How often do YOU see a magnet or number on a work vehicle and say, "I gotta call them for x?" For me, never.

However, I have called a number to complain about the driver.

Will it work? Maybe over time.. Will it be worth the hassle? Not in my opinion.

I don't even tell people what I do unless they ask. My marketing is all about them coming to me ready to do something.
The door magnet will not do good things to the paint, especially if parked in hot sun.
Ditto, the above about prospecting. Have an automated or other client keep in touch system for more referrals, and a website, as now referrals are looking up the person. I am now getting a few contact requests from my website mentioning which client referred them. Mostly phone calls, though.

Does anyone hear use a magnetic sign to hang on their car door, advertising your services?

I’m thinking of doing this, so I’d love to read any feedback on this topic from you all.

Are you paying for business use on your car insurance? If not you would have to tell your insurance company about the business use (using your car for advertising is business use) and pay a higher rate.

If you don't, and you have an accident, you are likely to get a letter saying "You never told us about business use, We would have charged you more money. You concealed a fact material to the underwriting of your policy. Coverage denied, policy rescinded back to inception or the last renewal, here's a refund of your premiums."

If there is any dirt on the surface of the door (you removed the sign for the weekend and replaced it Monday morning) that magnet sign will have a tendency to fly off whole you are driving. I had 2 do this before I stopped paying to replace them.

Back in 2007 going into my 3rd year U65/life/ancillaries. I thought it was funny. I bought 6 signs at about $30 each, slapped two on my car.

First time out with signs on, I made $1200 of a u65/life deal....a local well known Real Estate guy called when I stopped at a light within first 15 minutes down the road. He bought by the end of that week and turned into a long time client and referral base. First day, I thought WOW! this is cool. It got funny bc I took the other four and put them on passenger sides of friends vehicles where they wouldn't see them right away. We got a good laugh after they found them...I know unprofessional, but I like to have fun. Other agents in our Mi office put signs on their cars too, but it wasn't really that great based on their feedback.

I never did get more deals off the car signs directly that I remember, but that one deal and referrals that came over the years from the one guy was awesome. Signs paid for themselves and we had fun with it for a few months. I didn't keep them on long, but it was fun for a bit.

Why not? give it a go...you never know until you know. Everyone is different and leads come in all shapes and sizes.

(Caveat, NOT an agent)

There was another thread on this awhile back, and an alternative suggestion was made about putting something in the rear window of the vehicle.

I think if you are sitting in two lanes of traffic (or possibly 3 if you are in the middle between the left turn lane and the outside lane) infomation decalled onto the back window will be more visible to you than a sign low down on a car door would be.

have a great day out there!

I have done this a couple times in the past. But as far as I know, I only ever got one sale directly from the sign. I was in an apartment complex parking lot when one of the residents who was walking by saw it and asked me to come see him about life insurance. (He’s still a client.) I don’t think anybody ever actually called the number.

Are you paying for business use on your car insurance? If not you would have to tell your insurance company about the business use (using your car for advertising is business use) and pay a higher rate.

If you don't, and you have an accident, you are likely to get a letter saying "You never told us about business use, We would have charged you more money. You concealed a fact material to the underwriting of your policy. Coverage denied, policy rescinded back to inception or the last renewal, here's a refund of your premiums."
Very important point! When I used signage in my vehicle, I did get my car rated for business use for that very reason. I’m not sure whether I’m still paying for business use. It’s been several years since I used a magnetic sign. I may do it again someday, in which case I’ll make sure.

The magnets will probably never make someone call. At best, it might make your business more recognizable, meaning they see the name and realize they have seen it before and that might make them call. It's more of an indirect thing. Either way, they say that advertising is good in all forms.

The last time I had car signs, I did it mainly to build brand recognition in my debit neighborhoods. My business cards, calendars, football schedules, and other giveaway items are tied in together with my agency name and logo.

I don't know maybe its me but door magnet signs seem unprofessional to me

I think its because the most times I have seen them
and its many, Its been for things like that vitamin scam thing like 15 years ago or some other nut multilevel thing's

usually on a broken down van driven by a hairy man with unkept long beard
or a 300 lb woman with animal hair all over her clothes,
all with fast food wrappers falling out the door when they open it

Last edited:
Back