Mega Strikes Again NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARKETS

Re: Mega Strikes Again(Mega Health Insurance) NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARK

Straight out of mass.....booya......

Insurance firms settle Mass. allegations | Business news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

BOSTON — Texas-based Health insurer HealthMarkets Inc. and two subsidiaries have agreed to pay $17 million to settle allegations of unfair and deceptive marketing in Massachusetts.
Attorney General Martha Coakley said on Monday that the firm and its units — Oklahoma-based MEGA Life and Health Insurance and Tennessee-based Mid-West National Life Insurance — will be banned for at least five years from selling their products in Massachusetts. They're allowed to renew existing plans with individuals and small businesses through 2012.
Coakley says the companies used deceptive marketing to convince self-employed people and small businesses to buy health plans with limited benefits, failed to provide benefits mandated by state law and denied health plan membership based on existing conditions.
HealthMarkets said Monday it is committed to ensuring that it complies with the agreements with Massachusetts authorities.

I am so not suprised to read this. I remember a few years back when I was with Mega they had some high up guy running around the country trying to drum up business by giving each office a pep talk. When he came tro Denver all he could talk about was what an incredible job they were doing in MA compared to us and that the plans they were selling in MA was "air" compared to ours. This guy was actually touting the fact that they sell plans that are lighter than air. I walked out of that North Korean style political indoctrination training camp thinking what the hell have I been selling this whole time and who have I been selling for?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All confirmed:

National Association for the Self-Employed

Look at the bottom - NASE has broken away from Mega and now represents carriers from Assurant to Humana to GR. I was told today - very reliable source - that they will be adding all national health carrier by Jan of 2010.

The UGA field force according to this source will be independent and represent all carriers. The "NASE/MEGA" model is no more.

WOW, what a great way to scare off any potential new clients. Just the name alone is guilt by association...

I'm glad that in Colorado we don't have to sell ass plans with ass required insurance carriers....

hehe, I said ass.....

Last edited:
Re: Mega Strikes Again NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARKETS Scam

I just came from a Mega/Healthmarket meeting and recruiting attempt. I am a displaced executive from the trucking industry looking to get into the medical insurance field. Thanks for all of the postings on these guys. It was very helpful in deciding to not get involved with them.

In other news, my old UGA division just went belly up. Kaput. Done. Out of business. My thoughts? Buh bye.

I thought they were able to market other carriers now? I would have assumed it would have helped them grow?

I'll tell you how I now personally that they get at least some of their agents to go and tell flat out lies to people - I was one of them. I was 33 yrs old looking for health insurance for myself and my son. I was an outside sales rep for a local lumber yard. Dude from Nashville, TN drove to my town (3 hours one way) to come meet with me, well while there he gave me the whole song and dance about how I should sell insurance. Long story short that was Feb by mother's day i was on my way to Nashville to take the insurance class and test. I was an agent under them for about 7 months - i never made a dime, as a mater of fact i had to pay them back for every thing they gave me. The GPS i supposedly won in one of their contests was charged back to when when I left. I had never had any experience with insurance except listening at my parents table about life insurance when the agent would come and talk to them. Things never seemed "right" when I started asking hard questions, guess what? I NEVER got answers, NEVER. I realized this was a shady company and they were a bunch of con artists. My mother kept telling me to hang in there with insurance that it was my "calling" because i do have a heart that wants to help people. In the process I almost lost the home i had just purchased that prior November....well a year later the Monday after Thanksgiving I was running an appointment with the Humana Marketpoint Manager in Memphis TN. Bottom line to my story is, it took me 2-1/2 yrs to pay back money that MEGA said I owed them. I had no choice but to repay almost $6,000. MEGA and their affiliates are why so many people hate insurance agents. Their quote was "Kill Mom and Mane the kids"

Yeah their contracts you are not vested in commissions until many years pass...so even though your clients might still be on the books since you are no longer eligible for the commissions all the advances charge back....Terrible policy.

What did you accomplish..............

Needless to say, I learned the very hard way but i am not a lot more careful in what i get into. I've busted my tail in the last 3 yrs making a good name for myself and i'm very proud to say that I have accomplished that. I'm so grateful for people willing to give me the opportunity to prove that i'm different.

Back