Moderator for Politics and Religion Group?

Unfortunately, without moderation, the religion and politics forum has degenerated into a pile of defamation.

Even this thread, outside the religion and politics forum, has been linked into the defamation occurring on that forum. Consider this posting

Who is robert barney? Never seen him post here...

An interesting question and comment. Clearly senior-advisor already knew the answer. At first glance he would have you believe that he knows nothing about the religion and politics forum, but he posts there routinely. Even so, he cast this bait out in this thread, and found this willing accomplice:

He's got Compulife. He mostly posts in the Politics and Religion Forum. Very controversial.

Senior advisor comes back with this:

He has a grandson that he is very close with, right?

This is where defamation takes root. And it grows with this comment:

I believe that's what I've heard. Seems like he's pro-gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

which generates this comment:

Well at least he is a pro at it...

By way of background, for those who wonder what these two are happily discussing, this began regarding the position published by liberals at the Religion and Politics forum, that anyone should be allowed to marry anyone else that they want to marry. I firmly disagree. In response to that position, I posted the QUESTION: "Should a man be allowed to marry his grandson?". Note, sex had nothing to do with the question, there would be some interesting estate planning advantages if a grandson could legally become a spouse. If you don't understand the tax logic, you probably are in the wrong business.

Of course the liberals wanted to make it all about sex, which it wasn't. Like kids in a playground, it was only a matter of time before the liberals accused me of wanting to have sex with my grandson.

Hence the commentary that you see above.

This is how defamation roots and grows. It become actionable, when someone takes the defamation and tries to negatively impact a person's business, which has been done in the posts above.

It would seem that senior-advisor-indiana and goillini would like to cause my business some harm by raising the topic in this thread, and connecting my business to it.

And this is happening in a thread that Sam has visited, and apparently a thread that Sam and his moderators have no interest in moderating. In fact Sam publishes, after all the back and forth about who I am and my alleged interest in my grandson, the following:

There is no official moderator of that forum, and we do not plan on changing that. All of our moderators technically have access to moderation tools for that forum,. and they are free to get involved at their discretion, but as a general rule, there are no rules there.

None of this is a problem until someone posts something that is actionable, at which point litigation is likely to ensue, and then Sam will be named in the lawsuit.

It won't be a happy day for Sam.

Further, this thread contains an open admission to the fact that Sam is providing a forum for the publication of defamatory comments (in the Religion and Politics forum) and is committed to doing nothing about those comments, regardless of what is said. That will make him a party to any legal action, and there is no amount of fine print in the world that will exempt him from legal responsibility.

And whoa to those who have been given moderator responsibilities. They have accepted those responsibilities, and they too have stood aside and allowed the publication of defamation. Consider this post, earlier in this thread.

I have mod powers for this section but never go there......

So the people responsible for providing a forum for opinion, have staked out their positions quite clearly. They REFUSE to stop any defamatory publications, and they don't even want to know what is going on.

Do you really think that's going to stand up in a court of law? The owner and moderators of this forum have all have adopted a completely indefensible legal position. They chose to provide this forum, and they have chosen to take responsibilities as moderators. That makes them responsible, PERIOD.

If it was my forum, I would take action. Failing to do so, in the view of the friendly advice provided here, deepens the hole.

And those of you who post "anonymously" will discover there is no anonymity in the face of litigation. Identities will be uncovered, and you will be responsible for your publications.

Unfortunately, without moderation, the religion and politics forum has degenerated into a pile of defamation.

Even this thread, outside the religion and politics forum, has been linked into the defamation occurring on that forum. Consider this posting

An interesting question and comment. Clearly senior-advisor already knew the answer. At first glance he would have you believe that he knows nothing about the religion and politics forum, but he posts there routinely. Even so, he cast this bait out in this thread, and found this willing accomplice:

By way of background, for those who wonder what these two are happily discussing, this began regarding the position published by liberals at the Religion and Politics forum, that anyone should be allowed to marry anyone else that they want to marry. I firmly disagree. In response to that position, I posted the QUESTION: "Should a man be allowed to marry his grandson?". Note, sex had nothing to do with the question, there would be some interesting estate planning advantages if a grandson could legally become a spouse. If you don't understand the tax logic, you probably are in the wrong business.

Of course the liberals wanted to make it all about sex, which it wasn't. Like kids in a playground, it was only a matter of time before the liberals accused me of wanting to have sex with my grandson.

This is how defamation roots and grows. It become actionable, when someone takes the defamation and tries to negatively impact a person's business, which has been done in the posts above.

It would seem that senior-advisor-indiana and goillini would like to cause my business some harm by raising the topic in this thread, and connecting my business to it.

And this is happening in a thread that Sam has visited, and apparently a thread that Sam and his moderators have no interest in moderating. In fact Sam publishes, after all the back and forth about who I am and my alleged interest in my grandson, the following:

None of this is a problem until someone posts something that is actionable, at which point litigation is likely to ensue, and then Sam will be named in the lawsuit.

Further, this thread contains an open admission to the fact that Sam is providing a forum for the publication of defamatory comments (in the Religion and Politics forum) and is committed to doing nothing about those comments, regardless of what is said. That will make him a party to any legal action, and there is no amount of fine print in the world that will exempt him from legal responsibility.

And whoa to those who have been given moderator responsibilities. They have accepted those responsibilities, and they too have stood aside and allowed the publication of defamation. Consider this post, earlier in this thread.

So the people responsible for providing a forum for opinion, have staked out their positions quite clearly. They REFUSE to stop any defamatory publications, and they don't even want to know what is going on.

Do you really think that's going to stand up in a court of law? The owner and moderators of this forum have all have adopted a completely indefensible legal position. They chose to provide this forum, and they have chosen to take responsibilities as moderators. That makes them responsible, PERIOD.

If it was my forum, I would take action. Failing to do so, in the view of the friendly advice provided here, deepens the hole.

And those of you who post "anonymously" will discover there is no anonymity in the face of litigation. Identities will be uncovered, and you will be responsible for your publications.

yea you are right.....we need to kill the whole Politics and Religion Group....like I have said years ago.....it ads nothing to the group and is a cesspool for flaming....and does not add to the forum which is insurance discussions.....

If I may be so bold, I think you're unfamiliar with the law.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of note:

Green v. AOL, 318 F.3d 465 (3rd Cir. 2003).[12]
The court upheld immunity for AOL against allegations of negligence. Green claimed AOL failed to adequately police its services and allowed third parties to defame him and inflict intentional emotional distress. The court rejected these arguments because holding AOL negligent in promulgating harmful content would be equivalent to holding AOL "liable for decisions relating to the monitoring, screening, and deletion of content from its network -- actions quintessentially related to a publisher's role."

Carafano v. Metrosplash.com, 339 F.3d 1119 (9th Cir. 2003).[10]
The court upheld immunity for an Internet dating service provider from liability stemming from third party's submission of a false profile. The plaintiff, Carafano, claimed the false profile defamed her, but because the content was created by a third party, the website was immune, even though it had provided multiple choice selections to aid profile creation.

Blumenthal v. Drudge, 992 F. Supp. 44, 49-53 (D.D.C. 1998).[9]
The court upheld AOL's immunity from liability for defamation. AOL's agreement with the contractor allowing AOL to modify or remove such content did not make AOL the "information content provider" because the content was created by an independent contractor. The Court noted that Congress made a policy choice by "providing immunity even where the interactive service provider has an active, even aggressive role in making available content prepared by others."

In short, the it's not only defensible, it likely is so defensible it wouldn't likely make it past a motion for summary judgement which means it doesn't even get it's "day in court".

Taking a step back, Robert, you've been around for a while. Do you really expect anything positive to come from spending that much time discussing that many controversial subjects as passionately as you do? I used to spend way too much time there and since leaving it alone except for an occasional stop by, it's been nothing but a positive change. Many other users feel the same way; just something to think about.

I think it is these guys
septic-tank-worker-2.jpg

It is part of the Insurance Forum. Which does not make much sense to me. Most of the regular posters there post almost exclusively there or primarily there. It is just an exclusive fight club. No discussion, just peeing on each others shoes.

Not my vote, however if it was I would vote to delete it yesterday.

I don't see how this thread was hurting your business. Looks like you are the one connecting dots for people. Does anyone even know what your business is?

How can you say I post in the religion forum routinely? I probably have less than 50 posts there and that is being very generous.

Looks like Scott has a great idea, get rid of that forum. I guess that would get rid of you too since that seems like the only place you post...

You might want to revisit this post by Sam from 2011 delineating each moderator's specific forum responsibilities.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...ome-our-new-moderators-t36542.html#post465840

Some will be more active in shaping the tone, tenor, etc... others may be more hands off.

Dave020 will be the new moderator of the Individual Health Insurance Forum

ABC will be the new moderator of the Employee Benefits Forum

Arthur Rudnick will be the new moderator of the LTC Forum

DJS will be the new moderator of the P&C and Auto Insurance Forums

Dgoldenz will be the new moderator of the Life Insurance Forum

Robert, I was being sarcastic when I called you pro-gay. I don't go there much either, but from taking a quick glance it was obvious to me that you're anti-gay.

What's also obvious to anyone that reads your posts, is that you're by far the most abrasive poster on The Forum. Seems like you can hand it out but you're too thin skinned to take it.

As far as hurting your business, I'd say that you do that yourself with your posts. Don't be so thin skinned.

I wish Rob Barney's customers all could connect the dots to that part of the forum so they could see who they are dealing with. In my opinion he is a very fortunate man to have such a successful business. I know a lot of people who are more deserving of that kind of success.

Back