My Experience with LinkedIn So Far and Tips on how You Can Get Started

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
A few weeks ago I recently entered the realm of LinkedIn. My expectations were low, but I knew it was something I needed to do. I still haven't really taken advantage of it the way I should probably be doing, but so far it's been really great. I've been able to connect with folks I've done business with over the years, friends, family, an old manager I think very highly of, lots of great things. I find it a bit more complicated than this forum, but I've also been on this forum for years so I might not be a good judge of what a new user might think.

If you are thinking about joining LinkIn, DO IT! You'll already have someone ready to accept your connection (Joshua Stacy | LinkedIn)

Once you join, be sure to add a picture and fill in some details about yourself. Fill in the details. It doesn't matter if you fill everything in, but sell your story.

The next thing you'll want to do is find folks you already know on there to start building your network. They'll make some suggestions and you probably have a few invites pending from other folks that have been trying to get you onboard, so you'll probably have 10+ connections before you know it.

With all that out of the way, join some groups and participate in some discussions. I think that's where I've been the most pleasantly surprised. This forum is a great way for most of us to network and make connections, LinkedIn has millions of members from all industries and areas, all looking to do the same thing you're doing. I've had a great deal of success finding peers to help me with different solutions and have even managed to find some clients on there. I'm not active on there like I should be and I just got started, but already it's a big benefit and I really should have started it earlier.

Hope this helps. If you do join, don't be shy about adding me, especially if this post is what gave you the nudge to do it!

Re: My Experienced with LinkedIn So Far and Tips on how You Can Get Started

good points made. I just entered after parking my securities license. Haven't had time to take advantage of it yet, but I should. thanks Josh.

Back