My personal experience with Aflac

AFLAC is really pushing Dental and Life now. They have updated their Dental plans in many states and they claim it is a way to work yourself into new accounts.

Their dental sounds like the greatest thing to people who purchase it, until they go to the dentist and have to use it. Then all you get is irate callers asking why the insurance isn't paying for all the bill, and why they still owe so much.

Re: You'll weed yourself out.

So Aflac now has scripts, huh? When I was with them, over 10 years ago, there was no such thing. You basically winged it...phone, in person, whatever.

They are great believers of door to door canvassing of businesses. This will lead to requests for other products, like major medical, life.

I knew agents, myself included, who had their accounts switched to another for servicing. Hope this has stopped. Watch your back.

The reason many new Aflac agents don't make it is usually poor support from their DM and the grind of continual prospecting. Ask your DM for some orphan accounts....LOL...they are reluctant to share. Good Luck.

That is so true!! When the revolving door of AFLAC agents leaves, the "RSC" is quick to assign the account to a DM or his/her pet agent. Then, they will set up open enrollment meetings and take any "new employee" enrollments from your groups. They won't even so much as thank you or throw a bone your way for the favor. AFLAC management are as greedy as they come- bottom of the barrel.

Re: You'll weed yourself out.

That is so true!! When the revolving door of AFLAC agents leaves, the "RSC" is quick to assign the account to a DM or his/her pet agent. Then, they will set up open enrollment meetings and take any "new employee" enrollments from your groups. They won't even so much as thank you or throw a bone your way for the favor. AFLAC management are as greedy as they come- bottom of the barrel.

I worked at AFLAC at their Long Beach, Calif office about 7-8 years ago. It was a bad experience. I found the people there to be "cannibalistic", feeding on accounts left over by departed reps and calling over and over on the same prospects. The managers were quick to suck up override commissions and did little in return to help the salespeople. On one multi-state account that I landed on my own, the regional manager took ALL of my commissions on enrollments that were from a state where I was not licensed (illinois). He didn't even thank me, much less give me a gift card. When a rep leaves, the favored reps feed on the accounts that the departing reps had in progress or did not close. As crabcakes said, there is no way of knowing which businesses are already contracted.
Every month, Aflac is opening a new "region" to flood the market even more.
One of their selling points to lure you in is by saying that "only 2% of the market has been penetrated". I'm sure that they are still using that line.

Another unpleasant episode was another account that I self generated that had an outside broker attached to it. That broker had his own preferred Aflac rep and cut me out of the group.

The only good thing that came out of Aflac was membership in their credit union had been paying 4% interest on savings up until a year or 2 ago, when every other bank was paying much less. now it's only paying like 2 1/2, i think.

I hear that the State or City divisions of Aflac are less cutthroat and more lucrative.

One particular poigant experience happened to a co-worker at this same office. He was a very young rich man's son who was making a living of his own. He had a family friend who was a Human Resources Director for a large multi-state company. The HR Director was pitched for AFLAC and agreed to get AFLAC for his employees at the Colorado division. The AFLAC agent flew back and forth to Colo, hotels, etc with the dream of signing up 100s of employees into AFLAC. After signing up many employees at the company, the HR Director was scolded by the VP of HR from back East and told that he didn't have the right to contract with AFLAC without permission from his superior. The HR Director lost his job and the AFLAC agent was tremendously upside down after travelling expenses and chargebacks on the cancelled business that he wrote.

I was appointed with Aflac a few years back. Too many bad experiences, poor upper management, way, way too many newbie agents out calling on my groups and messing things up.

In my area, "Aflac" is a negative. When I market, I specifically look for Aflac accounts, as it's so easy to show them something much better.

Plus, those accounts usually have billing issues, claims problems, unhappy with their 7th new Aflac agent in 5 years...

As a health broker, I want 100% of the commission from my groups, so I partner with a Colonial team here locally.

I have experience with about 8 voluntary benefit carriers, and although Aflac is not a bad company, they are not considered good any more.

My opinion only.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I worked for them for about 6 months. The training was only so-so. So many businesses that I stopped into were upset because I either didn't know they were with Aflac or that an agent had been in yesterday! It was a learning experience for me.

I see that the local DSM is advertising for agents. However, there was no mention of Alac or insurance, only "marketing".

I was talking to an Aflac Regional Manager (RSC) this morning who is intending on quitting and doing something else, and he says the only thing Aflac is #1 at is in declining sales!

They've lost 100,000+ accounts in the last 3 years, kicked out of Walmart which was their biggest group, it hasn't been good lately.

He was quick to point out that most of Aflacs sales are in Japan anyway, only 25% of their business is in the US.

Seems they have been struggling now for the last three years, according to their President.

Something to be aware of though, locally here in Reno the Aflac agents are getting appointments with some health carriers, and then go back into their groups and sell the group health products.

Just another way to screw up the market...

I was talking to an Aflac Regional Manager (RSC) this morning who is intending on quitting and doing something else, and he says the only thing Aflac is #1 at is in declining sales!

They've lost 100,000+ accounts in the last 3 years, kicked out of Walmart which was their biggest group, it hasn't been good lately.

He was quick to point out that most of Aflacs sales are in Japan anyway, only 25% of their business is in the US.

Seems they have been struggling now for the last three years, according to their President.

Something to be aware of though, locally here in Reno the Aflac agents are getting appointments with some health carriers, and then go back into their groups and sell the group health products.

Just another way to screw up the market...

I'm going to call my former AFLAC groups and check if they're still on board with aflac. Also, I'm curious how many Aflac reps have been servicing them? The crappy economy couldn't be helping Aflac right now. When ppl are struggling to pay for other more vital expenses, I can't imagine that buying Aflac products would be that important to them. Back when I sold it (8 yrs ago), some were trying to get out of it then due to the costs. Those were better economic times than now.

I Was With Aflac And Generated 105k 1st Year They Advanced Me 60%+ And Made 70k My First Year No Renewals Great Training And Of Course If You Leave They Are Going To Give Your Account To Someone Else It Needs To Be Serviced...no Ones Perfect But They Pay Claims And Take Care Of Your Clients. I Submit A Claim On A Thursday And On Tuesday The Client Has A Check Coming To Them And You Get All Kinds Of Warm Fuzzies. Bottom Line You Decide To Succeed..if Its To Be Its Up To Me...just The Truth:d They Take Excellent Care Of Your Clients And If That Can't Build Your Enthusiasm Then Get Out Of The Business
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
They Pay Renewals Just Saying The 70k Take Home Did Not Include Any And That Is Good Income First Year With Any Company

Last edited:
Back