Nationwide Vs. State Farm

I lived in Columbus,Ohio for about 20 years (which is the corp. home of Nationwide). Of those 20 years, I was a bartender/bar manager/restaurant manager 15 of those years. I got to know a lot of people with Nationwide, both as agents and employees at the corporate office.

The one recurring theme I noticed was that agents appointed with Nationwide seemed very happy with their agency arrangement. But on the other hand, employees who worked at the corporate office hated their jobs!

Times may have changed within the company since then. Most of my recollection of those conversations go back 10-15 years, and may not be relevant today. But it always struck me as odd how one sector of a company could be so happy, while another sector of the same company could be so unhappy in the same city.

I was hoping someone dould share some info about nationwide. State farm has a lot of info on here obviously. How much is the base? What are commissions? Renewals etc. how competitive are they in texas?

Also the first screener asked about my natural market. Do they require you to wear out, i mean solicit, your natural market?

Don't know about the base but the commissions are 8% new business and 8% renewal.. making it the lowest I've ever seen. I worked as a team member in an office and the management right above the agents seems good. but you will have compliance and upper management come in about once every 2 months to look for something you are doing wrong.

The biggest thing is that YOU OWN NOTHING with SF. They own the book of business, the office locations, the computers, and even the internet leads now... Nothing more terrifying to me than the thought of someone walking in, pulling the contract, taking EVERYTHING, and leaving you with nothing but a mountain of debt!

I wouldn't be an agent for SF if it was the last company on the face of the planet, but that's just my opinion.

Good Luck!

I looked at Nationwide, I think their deal is ok but, I choose to go in another direction. You earn while you learn. Go on their website, get a quote on your auto, to see how competitive they are. Their is a place for captives, Nationwide doesn't have the hate on the forum as the other captives do. It is a two year training plan.

I looked at Nationwide, I think their deal is ok but, I choose to go in another direction. You earn while you learn. Go on their website, get a quote on your auto, to see how competitive they are. Their is a place for captives, Nationwide doesn't have the hate on the forum as the other captives do. It is a two year training plan.

I think that Nationwide is not burning as many people as SF or Farmers is. However, the real question is are they competitive?

I think that Nationwide is not burning as many people as SF or Farmers is. However, the real question is are they competitive?

Being competitive is the main thing. Their comp plan is pretty good I think 17% on new business and 12% renewals. They do give you up to $90k based on your production during training the first 2 years to open your agency. Their rates are horrible around here though but there aren't agents on every corner like the SF and Allstate guys.

I interviewed with all of the major captives after being captive for 3 years and Nationwide is a decent deal if they are competitive in your area. I don't know how the pressure to sell life etc. or management issues compare to the others though.

being competitive today, doesnt mean they will be in 5 months, or 1 year or 2 years

Back