Nationwide Vs. State Farm

State Farm. They hold the most policies in the US for a reason. They're good and they have more advertising than anyone else. You'll get free clients. Nationwide you'll work harder for.

As a former SF agent employee, and agent aspirant, I would avoid them like the plague.

Huge company, great resources at your disposal, competitive rates for good risk people.

ridiculous growth goals, ridiculous start up requirements, ridiculously low amount of commissions paid on the new contracts. Basically P&C gets you nothing, you are supposed to do for the sheer purpose of opening the household to life/bank prospecting.

you own nothing, and after your TICA year if you don't measure up, you lose everything except the $50k+ in debt you are.

Not worth it when there are companies that will give you start up salaries, expense assistance, etc.

I currently am in a sort of independent captive situation, but I am looking heavily at Shelter. If you are in the midwest it looks like a pretty solid company with realistic expectations and start up assistance.

Sorry, beyond the fact that they seem to be very non-competitive in my market, I know nothing about Nationwide.

As a former SF agent employee, and agent aspirant, I would avoid them like the plague. Huge company, great resources at your disposal, competitive rates for good risk people. ridiculous growth goals, ridiculous start up requirements, ridiculously low amount of commissions paid on the new contracts. Basically P&C gets you nothing, you are supposed to do for the sheer purpose of opening the household to life/bank prospecting.

you own nothing, and after your TICA year if you don't measure up, you lose everything except the $50k+ in debt you are. Not worth it when there are companies that will give you start up salaries, expense assistance, etc. I currently am in a sort of independent captive situation, but I am looking heavily at Shelter. If you are in the midwest it looks like a pretty solid company with realistic expectations and start up assistance.

Sorry, beyond the fact that they seem to be very non-competitive in my market, I know nothing about Nationwide.

Did you read what this individual says above!!! What about Shelter? Is it an opportunity? What about American Family?

Last edited:
I have never heard of shelter. Are they in texas?

No, they were but left sometime in the 80's I believe. Midwestern Regional, very strong presence in MO, AR, LA and surrounding states. Used to be MFA Insurance.

Solid mutual multi-line carrier. I can't post links yet but it's www(dot)shelterinsurance(dot)com. If you are in their footprint and looking for an agency position, it's a great company. I'm working towards one right now with them. Solid starting salary+first year commissions, office expense stipend (around 2-3k/mo) and some other assistance. Once you get your feet on the ground and switch to contracted agent, it's your normal "live off the book" type, but you're first few years you get lots of assistance. I scoured the market looking for a company I wanted to be with after I left State Farm, as well as read everything I could about agency contracts etc. This one is great.

I take it american family isnt in texas either.

I am almost done with my business plan and will interview in a couple of weeks at SF.

Yes, both shelter and american family were big in the areas of Iowa and Mizzou where I used to live. I think shelter may have been MFA at one time which was Missouri Farm association. Not in TX.

Anyways, I have noticed state farm is hiring. On craigslist. specifically my agent. I have state farm on my car, but he won't give me the time of day. I send him resumes, e-mails. But, other state farm offices are hiring. I have a P&C license, I need to look into it further, but this forum makes state farm look like a strange cult or something. I am starting to realize the P&C license means squat, they want experience, unlike the L&H, people are more than willing to hire an L&H guy if he fogs a mirror. I'm thinking about going with one of these lower rated companies, the "$33.95 per month" substandard outfits, just to get training.

Back