Need Some Direction/advice/wisdom

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm a new Insurance agent for AAA(captive). I sell membership and P&C. We also offer life and health products, but I've not yet obtained that license (it's on the ever growing list of things to do). Honestly, I feel overwhelmed and under-productive at this point. Luckily, for the first 2.5 years I'm on a salary schedule that gradually gets smaller, until I am commission only. This is the first real sales job I've ever had, so I'm starting from scratch in that regard. I've got a list of books to obtain and start reading, but that does me no good while I'm sitting in the office, trying to find prospects. I've started an Ad in our local Coffee News, wear my name tage everywhere I go, and hand my business card out at every chance. I've also joined the chamber of commerece and will be attending the CNNs (business networking meeting/speed-dating for businesses). I want to start purchasing some leads and doing some cold calling, but I'm not sure where to jump in. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated! I feel like a bum sitting in my office trying to come up with things to do.

Do you have a busy lobby? Are you introducing yourself to each person that comes in?

Does AAA have an incentive program for the other associates to refer members to you? Can you train them in how to refer them to you?

If they'd let you, then you should cold call. You're selling a commodity item and it's much easier to market a commodity where you can save folks money, then create a need (life insurance). Buy a list, pick up the phone, make some money!

Our lobby is busy during the various travel periods throughout the year. Our offices are completely separated from the lobby and the insurance dept. has a lobby desk. Lobby duty is split between 2 agents each day. I will be on the roster for lobby duty starting in January. So, unless I want to step on other agents' toes, the lobby is off limits unless I'm on duty.

As for referrals, we get few from the travel agents. One of the agents had a bad experience and refuses to refer anyone to our insurance. I believe the others are indifferent, so I will ask them about referring some business my way. I'm having lunch with some other business owners over the next few weeks to hash out a mutually beneficial relationship. Trying to work out a deal where I get a $10 off coupon for $5. Using that as an incentive for referrals and helping out local businesses. I advertise the $10 coupon for quotes/referrals and the local business gets customers outside of their usual groups.

As for purchasing a list, I've been reading the sites and scouring the internet. Since I've got a tight budget (first child born in Nov.) I'm going to try purchasing aged leads and learn to cold call that way. I've read a lot of people mentioning using a dialer like mojo, but I think that is a bit beyond my need at this moment.

As for a CRM, would I be better off/more prepared investing in one now, or waiting until I need one to keep track of my HUGE book of business?

Thank you for your help guys and gals.

As for purchasing a list, I've been reading the sites and scouring the internet. Since I've got a tight budget (first child born in Nov.) I'm going to try purchasing aged leads and learn to cold call that way. I've read a lot of people mentioning using a dialer like mojo, but I think that is a bit beyond my need at this moment.

Why not buy raw consumer data? I resell data and could get you a list filtered by age, income, location, and a bunch of other things for $0.02-$0.05/record depending on how many records you're looking for. Plenty of other companies can do it too, but rather than calling on a list you know tons of other folks have been calling on, why not call everyone?

Medicare, I'd be interested, but would need some more information on it. Also, would like some referrences, can't be too cautious in this dan age. Shoot me a private message? I would send you one, but I'm still at the bottom of the tottem pole and don't have that capability yet :( Thank you sir.

I work the Evansville, In area for FE and med sups. You are at a competitive disadvantage with AAA products in the area.

Newby works the Evansville, In. area, even has an office on Morgan Ave. He is an expert on FE, funeral pre-need and trusts in addition to doing LTCi, annuities and other financial services.

The Evansville area is highly competitive and saturated with mailers. I have personally seen no less than 5 seasoned independent agents wash out trying to work that area in the last year or so.

Not to say it can't be done. I also know quite successful agents in that area. None of them work for AAA, however.

We're a pretty small office and St. Louis has a 4 agent cap on the Evansville office. One agent has been here for 14 years and she has a decent size book (I don't know specifically the size), the other 2 for about 3 years, and me. I've been here 1.5yrs and have seen 2 agents come and go. I knew it wasn't going to be easy when I applied for the promotion (sales assistant to agent), but it's a start. I'll learn as much as I can in the next 2 years and then re-evaluate my position and options.

When you say we're at a competitive disadvantage, are you talking about just life and health? I don't know anything about that side, so I've no idea. Nor are either of those our primary markets. We're a membership club that offers auto and home, and then life and health. We are competitive in the P&C arena, though we're limited in that we don't write commercial.

Also, those 5 seasoned agents probably had much higher living and business expenses than I do.

How often are you up here in Eville? Be interested in grabbing some lunch between appointments so I can glean some knowledge from you? My treat of course, as long as it's not Biagi's or Bonefish or someplace out of my price range.

We're a pretty small office and St. Louis has a 4 agent cap on the Evansville office. One agent has been here for 14 years and she has a decent size book (I don't know specifically the size), the other 2 for about 3 years, and me. I've been here 1.5yrs and have seen 2 agents come and go. I knew it wasn't going to be easy when I applied for the promotion (sales assistant to agent), but it's a start. I'll learn as much as I can in the next 2 years and then re-evaluate my position and options.

When you say we're at a competitive disadvantage, are you talking about just life and health? I don't know anything about that side, so I've no idea. Nor are either of those our primary markets. We're a membership club that offers auto and home, and then life and health. We are competitive in the P&C arena, though we're limited in that we don't write commercial.

Also, those 5 seasoned agents probably had much higher living and business expenses than I do.

How often are you up here in Eville? Be interested in grabbing some lunch between appointments so I can glean some knowledge from you? My treat of course, as long as it's not Biagi's or Bonefish or someplace out of my price range.

I was talking about life mainly. I don't do P & C. I was thinking Cavanaugh's for lunch.:D

I'm usually in the Evansville area two days a week. When I'm running appointments, I don't take time for lunch.

Back