New Agent. Looking where to work for WFH AEP.

I do taxes and accounting but I'm looking to actually use my life and health license. From these companies, which one would you pick? SelectQuote, Tranzact, gohealth, and ehealth?

From what I've read, they aren't great but I'm just looking for work until tax season starts. And would just want the experience of working in the industry.

What state are you? The “call-center” experience isn’t the best at all. I have recruited a few agents that have been with SelectQuote and EHealth….! Best way to “get into the industry is with an agency. Even if it’s just for AEP. I’m looking for 1-2 more agents.

I do taxes and accounting but I'm looking to actually use my life and health license. From these companies, which one would you pick? SelectQuote, Tranzact, gohealth, and ehealth?

From what I've read, they aren't great but I'm just looking for work until tax season starts. And would just want the experience of working in the industry.

Neither. I know that's not what you want to hear, but nah...not a single one.

Being in the Tampa area, I personally know quite a few who have been with Tranzact...no one was happy with it. Lots of commission changes and people complaining about not getting paid properly. I also remember getting a lot of business off their agents' mistakes at Humana.

My experience with GoHealth was from a different side of the business acting as a member of Anthem's retention department. I can't say I've seen good things about their ethics in terms of enrolling beneficiaries...it seems like they will say anything to get people on a plan without really knowing/caring if it's the right thing for the client. Their reviews on Indeed seem to reinforce that. The same can be said for SelectQuote and eHealth.

I would say the best bet is to work for one of the major carriers directly. In Florida, Florida Blue and Cigna were hiring seasonally. However, Humana and UHC hire during the time of the season, but tend to hire full time. It's too late in the game for getting on with them right now, though. The major carriers tend to put you through a bit more thorough training, so that takes more time.

I would either sign on independently and hope to get some good training/support/lead reimbursement, or if money for leads isn't where you need it to be just yet I'd wait until next year in April-June and apply at a major carrier if you don't want to pay for leads. If you're ok with paying for leads, go independent with someone. If this isn't your only bread and butter, the residuals alone make it the sensible option. Even with signing on independently, you're at the very last minute for this year's AEP.

Gun to my head, I'd probably go with GoHealth for the options mentioned. They are absolutely huge, and I know they have a lot of traffic. How that traffic is dived up though, who knows...

What state are you? The “call-center” experience isn’t the best at all. I have recruited a few agents that have been with SelectQuote and EHealth….! Best way to “get into the industry is with an agency. Even if it’s just for AEP. I’m looking for 1-2 more agents.

California.

I can't say I've seen good things about their ethics in terms of enrolling beneficiaries...it seems like they will say anything to get people on a plan without really knowing/caring if it's the right thing for the client.

I wrote a fair amount of U65 health insurance with Golden Rule before they were bought. It was a small, well run carrier when Pat Rooney was CEO. They were one of the pioneers of the HSA.

They invited me to join their agent advisory board. I knew several of the HO execs and was mentioned by them in a trade magazine write up. That was really nice and unexpected.

The senior marketing director for individual health confided in me that they had a love-hate relationship with one of the national online agencies. They wrote a lot of business but a high percentage fell off the books in a few months. Client retention was horrible and so was the loss ratio on that block. He said they wished they had never entered into a marketing agreement with them.

I wrote a fair amount of U65 health insurance with Golden Rule before they were bought. It was a small, well run carrier when Pat Rooney was CEO. They were one of the pioneers of the HSA.

They invited me to join their agent advisory board. I knew several of the HO execs and was mentioned by them in a trade magazine write up. That was really nice and unexpected.

The senior marketing director for individual health confided in me that they had a love-hate relationship with one of the national online agencies. They wrote a lot of business but a high percentage fell off the books in a few months. Client retention was horrible and so was the loss ratio on that block. He said they wished they had never entered into a marketing agreement with them.

Yup, that definitely sounds like them...or a number of their cousins, lol.

Those companies are bad juju...I once saw a 'script' from one of their major competitors. One of the first things they teach you to do is to ask for the Medicare ID number upfront. This is before you've even qualified them, much less presented a plan. At this point, you barely know the prospect's name.

That right there was enough of a red flag for me to walk away from the job offer. You absolutely know it's going to be a virtual boiler room environment. I get agents have to make a living, but damn...I don't want to make it like that.

I would also go with neither.

My opinion, best way to be in this industry as a customer facing agent is to not be an employee at all.

You'll find call centers only care about your production (and other stupid metrics, like talk time) and not so much how you help people.

You're already an IC with taxes (I'm assuming) and accounting. Just use your existing client base to market insurance products (like life or Medicare.)

Here's some good news about call centers:

That's hilarious! This was some Deion Sanders, putting the ball up in the air at the 40 yard line while high stepping stunting on them! She couldn't have enjoyed that more if you drizzled it in BBQ sauce. :D

Glad to see reaping what you sow hasn't quite yet fallen to the wayside. Bleep GoHealth and all their wicked knockoffs.

I would either sign on independently and hope to get some good training/support/lead reimbursement, or if money for leads isn't where you need it to be just yet I'd wait until next year in April-June and apply at a major carrier if you don't want to pay for leads. If you're ok with paying for leads, go independent with someone. If this isn't your only bread and butter, the residuals alone make it the sensible option. Even with signing on independently, you're at the very last minute for this year's AEP.

When you say this, do you mean find someone near me who does Medicare and split commissions? Train under this agent? Or something to that sort?

Back