New L&H Agent in Florida

xwsmithx

Florida
Looks like this is a broken record for this forum, but I didn't think it was right to hijack some other newbie's thread. I'm a new insurance agent in Florida, got the L&H license (215) earlier this year, and now I'm signed up as an independent agent with HealthChoiceOne. I still have some of the health insurance companies' paperwork to submit, but some of them want you to have a customer first anyway, and I'd rather concentrate on life insurance. But having never sold insurance before, I'm not sure what to do next. How do I get telephone numbers to call? How do I know which of the 10 or 15 different companies HC1 represents I should steer a customer toward? How do I deal with hard cases who probably won't qualify for life insurance because of their health issues? (I don't guess it matters where you are located if you're doing all your business by phone, but for the curious, I'm in the middle of nowhere, south Florida, but I want to be in western Broward county.)

Looks like this is a broken record for this forum, but I didn't think it was right to hijack some other newbie's thread. I'm a new insurance agent in Florida, got the L&H license (215) earlier this year, and now I'm signed up as an independent agent with HealthChoiceOne. I still have some of the health insurance companies' paperwork to submit, but some of them want you to have a customer first anyway, and I'd rather concentrate on life insurance. But having never sold insurance before, I'm not sure what to do next. How do I get telephone numbers to call? How do I know which of the 10 or 15 different companies HC1 represents I should steer a customer toward? How do I deal with hard cases who probably won't qualify for life insurance because of their health issues? (I don't guess it matters where you are located if you're doing all your business by phone, but for the curious, I'm in the middle of nowhere, south Florida, but I want to be in western Broward county.)

You do not need to be INDY until you know enough to be INDY. Find an agent, agency, or company that will give you some training.

Give me a Call and I'll see if I can help.

Xrac: Part of the reason I decided to go into insurance was because it was something I could do independently. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, but I just don't get hired, and on the rare occasions I do get hired, I get fired rather quickly. And then I didn't want to be subject to a quota, so I didn't apply for a job with any of the big insurance companies. It may take me a while to learn the business as an independent, but at least no one can fire me.

Gimp: Are you familiar with HC1's line-up of life insurance companies?

Part of the reason I decided to go into insurance was because it was something I could do independently. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, but I just don't get hired, and on the rare occasions I do get hired, I get fired rather quickly. And then I didn't want to be subject to a quota, so I didn't apply for a job with any of the big insurance companies. It may take me a while to learn the business as an independent, but at least no one can fire me.
Trying to go "independent" with no background or experience is as near to a guaranteed failure as is possible. You don't even know what you don't know.

Xrac: Part of the reason I decided to go into insurance was because it was something I could do independently. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, but I just don't get hired, and on the rare occasions I do get hired, I get fired rather quickly. And then I didn't want to be subject to a quota, so I didn't apply for a job with any of the big insurance companies. It may take me a while to learn the business as an independent, but at least no one can fire me.

This is a sales job. If you don't produce no one will keep you around. Even you won't keep you if you don't produce something. If they won't hire you there is probably a reason. It may be that you are not suited to this business.

Xrac: Ah, no, you misunderstand... No one will hire me for ANY job. I haven't even bothered to apply for anything in insurance because I've spent years applying for jobs without getting hired. No point in going through that again just because it's a new field. The only reason I can offer is that I have a real problem with taking orders, and I guess managers pick up on that in the interview. I couldn't get hired as a lawyer, store manager, or production control manager way before I ever decided to get into insurance. My last job (telemarketer, hired sight unseen) I lasted two weeks, until I told the manager I wouldn't do his job the way he's doing it.

Moonlight: That's why I posted on here.

Xrac: Ah, no, you misunderstand... No one will hire me for ANY job. I haven't even bothered to apply for anything in insurance because I've spent years applying for jobs without getting hired. No point in going through that again just because it's a new field. The only reason I can offer is that I have a real problem with taking orders, and I guess managers pick up on that in the interview. I couldn't get hired as a lawyer, store manager, or production control manager way before I ever decided to get into insurance. My last job (telemarketer, hired sight unseen) I lasted two weeks, until I told the manager I wouldn't do his job the way he's doing it.

Moonlight: That's why I posted on here.

No offense but maybe you need something besides a job or career. What will you do when you don't like what the insurance company tells you?:err:

Well, I've been trying for years to start my own business, but it's tough when you have no money. I figure as an independent agent, if I don't like one insurance company, I can do business with another one, and if I don't like a client, bye-bye.

Do you folks recommend talking to the insurance companies directly to learn more about their products and figuring out which company to recommend to which client? Or is there a better way?

Yes I am. I was contracted with them at one point.

----------

Do you folks recommend talking to the insurance companies directly to learn more about their products and figuring out which company to recommend to which client? Or is there a better way?

Depends on the company. Most will direct you to your upline for assistance?

Back