New to This

find a couple IMO's among the many active on this forum that offer independent contracting rather than captive. They will try to contract you with several different insurance companies. I would recommend that you start with just Mutual of Omaha and Assurity Life. Those companies combined offer everything your new licenses will allow you to sell. Contract with each company through a different IMO which will increase your chances of finding a good one.

Wear out a couple pairs of shoes and make tons of calls before you start spending money on leads.

Your income will be slow to come at first, don't stop each day until you've sold something to someone. Keep in touch with this forum and be careful of the advice you choose to follow.

Good luck, I hope you make it.

Hey Ken I am new to this as well and currently studying for my life/health exam. Some insurance companies put you on the hook for purchasing their proprietary software. I understand starting off is not easy but looking for one or two of the best insurance companies with good reputations and good pricing to be an agent. I say that, in this still day and age times are tough and if I can save $200 on a policy v. another company and still get quality service, I'd rather work for the one good pricing and service. Joe

Joe. It cost me around 1200 all told to get started. That included my E&O insurance, classes, my LLC and everything. Then your just paying fur leads and running your business. We have good products and I do feel good about what I am doing. You can PM me or ask here. I'm usually available and I love helping.

Wow. This is really similar to my story. I was a massage therapist for eight years and left in 2009 for Aflac. Ended up leaving them (lack of training left me broke) and went to Farmers. Now I'm toying with the idea (95% sold) of going independent. At 30 I'm tired of bouncing around and want to settle down with my own business, have my wife work with me part time, and make my world fit me.

What's best to sell? Some people have massive success with P&C, others with L&H. I think having a good portfolio of both is ideal, but if you don't, get someone who's strong where you're lacking and pair up with them. I suggest starting with what you're most comfortable explaining.

Finally: remember to show clients benefits, not features. Price, coverages, etc. are features. Benefits are the intangibles: the time with their family, the easing of their minds, how happy they are when their car/body/house/family is all patched up.

SingingSabre, please explain the inspiration for your avatar.

Back