Newly Licensed, can I submit apps while traveling out of the US?

TiffanyAZLife

The apps would be for US citizens in states that I am licensed in and just wanting to know if there would be any issue on submitting an application with Life Carriers if I am outside the US (specifically in Mexico)? Thanks, everyone!

In theory, there shouldn't be any issues.

However, one part of the application is WHERE the application is being signed (City/State). Even though you're licensed for the states of residence where your clients actually live, this may cause some issues.

Best to contact your primary company and find out from them.

The apps would be for US citizens in states that I am licensed in and just wanting to know if there would be any issue on submitting an application with Life Carriers if I am outside the US (specifically in Mexico)? Thanks, everyone!

If you're doing FE tele-sales there would be no issue with Sr Life. I assume other carriers would follow the same practice.

Don't you have to be licensed in the state your in and the state the app is taken because of the potential of different laws?

Don't you have to be licensed in the state your in and the state the app is taken because of the potential of different laws?

Nope. You have to be licensed in the state the owner (not the proposed insured) of the policy resides in. I contracted a tele-sales agent that lives in Washington State (Sr Life is not in Washington state) and she was doing tele-sales in the states she has her non-resident licenses in.

Maybe Jeff Root will chime in. I remember him saying that he wrote business in the U.S. while he was in Europe for a while.

We won’t know until after the fact. I have asked carriers & state insurance dept this question in regard to where the sale is occurring when done by phone or video. Everyone just seems to guess, but I have still not found anything in writing for certainty. Common sense would say you must be licensed in the state you are physically sitting in & carrier licensed in that state and you would need to be licensed & the carrier licensed in the state the owner of the policy is physically in at the time of the sale/application.

It would be nice if there was something formal in writing. However considering there are 50 states and each have their own insurance laws I’m certain there would be no formal consistency

There's a lot of good answers to your question. My understanding is that you need to be licensed in the state(s) in which you are selling AND that the signatures (producer & customer/guardian) need to be signed in the state(s) that you are licensed in.

If you have tech capabilities in which it is an electronic signature compared to a "wet" signature, that might be different.

You got a lot of good answers but it really boils down to the insurer(s). Please contact the carrier(s) so that you know for certain, otherwise you can find yourself in some "hot water" and at the minimum re-do those contracts to satisfy the insurer(s) and perhaps state insurance guidelines.

Back