Ninety-Two Percent of All Agents Fail - Why?

Not sure where you learned to calculate odds, but using your numbers...

If 80% fail, 20% succeed, the odds are 4 to 1 against.

If 92% fail, 8% succeed, the odds are 11.5 to 1 against.

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I didn't divide it out when I posted, and I just don't care enough to go and edit. But maybe I will.

Still though, you're like my dog when I point at something for her to go get - you're looking at my finger rather than what I'm pointing at.

The point of what I was saying is that no matter how you state the odds of success in this industry, it's heavily stacked against you. Everyone thinks they will be in the successful group, but, at best, cereris paribus, 3 people out of every 4 that think they will be successful starting out in this industry will end up failing.

What you do to be that 1 out of 4, or 20 out of 100, or 8 out of 100 that will NOT fail, is all that matters.

They "fail" because there are to many agents fighting for an ever shrinking market. Insurance sales are becoming more and more automated (eg. via the internet). Forget all the non-sense about sales experience, working hard, having a niche and other things you've read, the field is saturated with agents and automation is going to make things worst and worst with time.

Actually this makes it even easier for a sales professional to succeed.

First, those that fail can't stay in business.

And secondly . . .

Have you ever gone shopping and encountered a "bad" sales person and you said either to yourself or out loud "is there anyone else I can talk to?"

That's because you want to speak to someone more knowledgeable than yourself when you shop for something you don't know too much about, you want an expert, then you'll trust that person and make a purchase or decision.

It's no different in any other sale, insurance or otherwise.

People shop for two things, expert service and value.

They "fail" because there are to many agents fighting for an ever shrinking market. Insurance sales are becoming more and more automated (eg. via the internet). Forget all the non-sense about sales experience, working hard, having a niche and other things you've read, the field is saturated with agents and automation is going to make things worst and worst with time.

Frank, all of your fans want you to post a daily schedule that a new agent should follow to be successful. Number of appointments/ calls etc.

Matt

Rob Liano has it right.

I went into the insurance business because I knew that

1. Billions of dollars of insurance is sold every year.

2. The vast majority of Agents are inept at selling.

At first, I didn't know much about insurance. But, I knew how to find and make appointments with prospects who were ready, willing and able to buy insurance.

It was easy to find knowledgeable veteran agents who would do the research, design the cases, and present them to my prospects. Then, I closed the sales.

Those veteran agents were willing to do all of the work for a small percentage of the commission. That's because they were unable to find many of their own qualified prospects or close their own sales.

The agent that will prospect can be very successful early in their career if they will team with an experienced agent. Just be the bird dog and let the experience agent do the shooting. You both benefit and prosper. 50% or 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing. The added benefit is that by watching and listening you are receiving on the job training.

A lot of agent don't make it because they get into this business for the wrong reasons to start with. They think they can do little work and make a lot of money. Some think this is a job and not a career and some don't care about helping people and solving problems.

If you want someone else to do all the work for you, pick another career.

Back