One Month Doing Cold Calling

I had a client on the east coast - NJ best insurance agent in the world. Worst cold caller in the world :)

He would give off a "creepy vibe" over the phone his own words. however you get him in front of of a business owner they are walking out with a group health plan.

If you find it hard to sell over the phone. (talk to fast what ever it may be) Just set up appointments for yourself face to face, everyone is a little different. (depending on your product) might not be worth it to meet everyone in person.

Just keep in Mind that may not be the problem. maybe you need more product knowledge.

I would suggest slowing down the dials as well. there is no reason you need to dial 500 people. Its about quality on every call over mass calls.

Happy to see people helping btw - we got yo back soooon

Last edited:
Whow! 500 calls per day. You need to stop and reevaluate everything you are doing. Just set appointments in your local area and sell some f2f. Learn the products and then start over with your telephone sales. It sounds like you need to establish basic sales skills before you do anything else.

You're problem is simple. You're probably selling product but not you're not searching for pain. People aren't interested in insurance. People are interested in saving money. PAIN. ask you prospect how they rate their agent on a scale from 1-10, wit ten being a perfect score. Ask them if there was one thing their agent could do better for them what would it be. PAIN PAIN. if there's no pain there's no sale. Do you see where I'm going here? Get the prospect to talk and your ratio will improve drastically. I promise!

If your dialing that much the question should be short such as do you need life insurance? No=Click. Someone will yes. If nothing is working now try it for a couple hours.

If your dialing that much the question should be short such as do you need life insurance? No=Click. Someone will yes. If nothing is working now try it for a couple hours.

Yep, with that many dials dont even bother say bye or have a nice life. CLICK!! NEXT!!!

John some things shouldn't have to be said. Just as I am assuming he is DNC compliant. Way Back in the day I was told to try it and it worked as I set a few appointments that way. It didn't take over 100 calls as I was using a phone book but it did work.

You probably are just flat out awful on the phone to be honest

But no one will be blunt with you & tell you that

I'd imagine you are more cut out for an order taker type gig

Really And how exactly did you come to this conclusion?

Honestly been in and out of phone sales for many years

I have seen salesman new to an industry and have horrible results till they made a small tweak and bam big results

I have had the same issue

I do well with the leads that I use but when I tried cold call with Medicare
I had a ruff time

I don't need to cold call because I do well with other types of leads

However In the future I will give it another go
why because I want to be able to train telemarketers in the future

I know my issues are just about a few tweaks and Ill get results

that's why I am checking this area of the forum

But to say some one just is terrible and needs to get out based on a bad first month is horrible

----------

You do realize that this is the 21st century don't you? Who in their right mind would give a complete stranger their SSN over the phone? Set appointments and sell face-to-face.

I get SS all the time for Med Supp
and did the same when I sold Maj Med

I've always sold over the phone

getting SS is not an issue

You probably are just flat out awful on the phone to be honest

But no one will be blunt with you & tell you that

I'd imagine you are more cut out for an order taker type gig

I don't know about the "order taker" part, but I agree with the rest. You need phone training. You have dedicated an entire month to cold calling, which is impressive without any results, so you have thick skin and tenacity. Now you just need someone who is successful to model. Have you thought about working for a telemarketing company for a while to get the experience?

Whow! 500 calls per day. You need to stop and reevaluate everything you are doing. Just set appointments in your local area and sell some f2f. Learn the products and then start over with your telephone sales. It sounds like you need to establish basic sales skills before you do anything else.

Quality and preparation are key. If you don't have a plan going in to the call then you're just burning leads.

Thats a lot of leads to call. My guess is that you are focusing either the number of dials or just the act of dialing itself. My advice would be to get off the dialer and slow down. Focus on a much smaller number of leads and on each call itself. I'm not familiar with the final expense product but I did sell life insurance back in the day for Pru and never made more than 25 dials a day and was very successful. On average, I would make 1 appt for every 25 dials and called almost exclusively at night after 6pm. When I switched to LTC insurance, I called the senior market and called between 9-12. I called 60 people a day to book my 1-2 appts a day.

Main thing I always focused no matter what product I was selling was to be myself, have a conversation, believe in myself and my product and give them a reason to see me. There needs to be a reason for them to see you. Put yourself in their shoes... what would someone have to say to you for you to agree to see them?

Anyway, that's my advice. Hope it helps!

Back