Overcoming Objections

So what would you say?
I would look at my "process" to examine where my mistake occurred.
The first thing I would ask is sir/ma'am what is it that you need to think about?
Too many Tom Hopkins books man. It's not 1985, it's 2013.
Many people are concerned (although won't admit it) due to financial reasons or a previous bad experience. It can be several other things: misunderstanding of the product, misplaced product recommendation not meeting their needs, they could just be people that take a long time to make decisions, they could not feel comfortable with you, they think what they have "isn't broke" so no need to fix it, don't feel like looking at this now, etc.
All this stuff is fixable...but it needs to be done during the process - not afterwards.
You need to understand and empathize with them. Follow up with them... many agents don't follow up after the immediate short term. This is an opportunity to really build a relationship. People buy from people they like, but you do need to educate and evaluate them.
Most follow up is a waste of time...someone hoping that someone "changed their mind". Educate them? The old axiom is true: if you "educate" them, you'll earn a teacher's wages. You're there to sell! (unless you want to fail out of the biz broke)

MLM, what do you recommend for new agents with regards to sales processes? Are there certain authors/trainers that have stood out more than others?

Well this thread started with a list of them but how about this one:

I need/want to think about it.

Moonlight is exactly right. You screwed up somewhere. You screwed up in one of two (or both) of these places:

1) You failed to listen.
2) Your recommendation isn't good enough to justify the pain in switching or buying your solution.

If you failed to listen, then you need to ask more questions up front to be sure you understand them... enough that THEY feel understood.

Maybe you didn't explain your recommendation back clearly enough to show that you listened. "This policy features 'x' because you told me that 'x' benefit was important to you."

If your recommendation isn't worth it (in their mind), they may just say "I'll think about it". This will happen less if you're asking good questions, they feel understood, and you are repeating back THEIR words as to why you're recommending what you're recommending.

- I need to think about it
- I already have insurance
- I thought it was free from the government
- Is it free, I can't afford anything
- I need to talk to my children
- My credit union has insurance, I need to see what they have
- I'm shopping around

I'm new to this and sure could use some help with learning how to best overcome objections.

Are these objections are coming up when setting appointments or when closing?

If they are coming up when setting appointments, then you are likely "selling" prior to meeting. You should be focusing on the appointment and keeping it short and sweet. The only sale to be made here is the appointment itself.

If these are coming up when closing, then your presentation needs work. My sales process is making several "mini sales" and removing any objections along the way. In this manner I find the actual close to be easy and natural.

One of my favorite Jeffrey Gitomer lines . . . . people hate to be sold but they love to buy.

Commit that to memory.

Back