'I Already Have Insurance' and Other Stupid Objections

Usually receive them well if they knock on the door... Get rid of them as quick as possible if they call on the telephone.

since most of my calls are service work, someone would have a better chance at my door, too

Hate telephone cold calls but I am never rude to the people who walk up and knock on the door. I never let them in the house but I am not rude to them.

What type of insurance are you selling? That will determine what answer you use to overcome their objection of "I already have insurance."

We have a broad range of insurance to offer. This thread is also intended for everyone around here.

There are no stupid "objections", only stupid agents.

Then what does that make many insurance carriers who have spent decades and countless capital debasing the field into crap with their moronic advertising campaigns? In two days I have run into several business owners with no business owners policy who have been in the business for years, but I bet they could tell me all about the pike gecko and flo rida's discounts.

Last edited:
I don't cold call, but it doesn't mean I don't get similar objections when calling people. One way to engage them is to ask, "Other than price, what is the ONE thing you do not like about your present coverage?".

We have a broad range of insurance to offer. This thread is also intended for everyone around here.

Yes, but it definitely matters. For example, if you're selling life insurance, and are told "I already have insurance" your follow up questions can be:

"Is it through your job or individual?"
"Is it term or permanent?"

That leads you to a different conversation and gives you opportunity. But those questions aren't the same follow up questions I would use if I were prospecting for other lines of insurance.

I don't think objections are stupid. It's a way to learn. When I first started making cold calls we had a canned speech we were supposed to use. I found it worked better by just asking questions & letting the prospect tell me their story.

"I already have insurance." Not really an objection but I usually just say Great! When was the last time you talked with your agent or reviewed your policy. This at least usually gets them talking. Then just take it from there. Sometimes they really do have a policy and there is no need to press any further.

Latest posts

Back