Overweight life ins

Sometimes telling a client the truth is the hardest part of this job.
100% agree.

As you know, there is a big difference between telling an obese client "here's your rate fatty" vs. "Great news, I have the perfect strategy for us. You're going to be a standard rate based on your height and weight but because your health is so good, we can likely improve those rates down the road if you stay that way. XYZ company will offer THIS if you dropped 50 lbs and didn't pick up any health issues along the way. If you don't, you don't care because you still have your insurance. If you do, your rates get better. You'll be good either way!"

You can do this with smokers too. They may or may not quit but either way, they have their insurance which is the most important part of this exercise.

You also have to be sensitive to each client. Some know they're overweight. Others just are "big-boned" or "muscular" in their head so I try to tailor my approach accordingly.

6'2" 295 is not as bad as some of you are making it out, especially if he's in good health. I placed a guy that was 6'6" 350 a table A, with Protective a couple of years ago. He was a college president, so that probably didn't hurt, but still..it's not as difficult as yall are making it out to be, and slapping people for being a little overweight.

6'2" 295 is not as bad as some of you are making it out

Lol. From my Drs office, a 6"2 male healthy weight is 144-195, so he is 100lbs over the healthy category, placing him in the very obese to morbidly obese. In all fairness, I don't agree with these BMI & CDC charts, but 100 lbs over would never place someone in a preferred class unless there is 2 or 3 levels better than preferred

I am looking to get life insurance for a client with the following info:

Height 6'2
Weight 295
DOB 9/1/69
Non smoker
Health fine

Everything I see would rate him at a standard rate based on his weight. Do any of you know of a company that would consider him for preferred with that build if everything else checks out?

Try Liberty Bankers.

I already told the client they will be getting a standard rate up front. I feel my job as an agent is to always do my due diligence. If I can come back afterwards and say wow I was doing research and I found this company and I convinced them to take you at a preferred rate! I would say then it becomes a 98% chance of making a sale.

My mentor taught me to never take the insurance companies at their word, the answer is almost always no the first time but if you keep digging you may find a different answer.

Back