Penguin 2.0

no i mean gross you have to spend money to make money

At the risk of being "that guy", "profit" is net. "Gross" is revenue. You don't have a "gross profit". Profit is after expenses (net), gross is before expenses.

So you grossed over 50k in revenue?

.... From a website I created in 12 months. Want my free Ebook?

Sure, but that's not the point. You're saying you had a "gross profit". Did you read my comment? The point is you didn't have a "gross profit", you had a "gross revenue".

Gross profit = Net sales - Cost of goods sold

That means:

$50k = what the website made me - the cost of building/maintaining the site

hahah i guess that makes you the guy.... just not the guy you thought you were :D.

Learn something new every day.

From your reference, your "gross profit" is the net sales (revenue) minus cost of good sold. You didn't have to pay for the insurance itself, so that wouldn't even enter into the equation.

(for those interested enough to care, but not interested enough to click the link)
Net sales = Gross sales - (Customer Discounts, Returns, Allowances)
Gross profit = Net sales - Cost of goods sold
Operating Profit = Gross Profit - Total operating expenses
Net income (or Net profit) = Operating Profit – taxes – interest

The real question I think most folks wanting to learn about your story is how much of the $50k you actually got to put into your pocket. In an earlier post you mentioned spending a significant number on advertising, something to the tune of $30k if memory serves (which it might not). Only because you've been sharing these numbers, how much net income did you actually generate from your efforts? Obviously that's a question most folks wouldn't want to answer, but that's the question most agents seeing your story are going to want to know the answer to.

I guess JW didnt like your questions.

Seems that way.

If he owns the site he claims he does (which I have no reason to doubt), he's done a great job doing things himself. I won't share it here because he has wanted to keep it more private. The site gets good traffic and seems to be well favored by Google, even after updates. He's also spent a lot of time and energy really learning the ins and outs of how SEO optimization works. One thing he may be dismissing too readily is the residual income of his efforts.

Whatever the case may be, I think this has been a pretty interesting thread. This last update hurt me a bit, but I'm sure it'll work itself out. Going to probably be investing heavily in PPC soon which is probably the most (expensive and) stable way to grow.

Seems that way.

If he owns the site he claims he does (which I have no reason to doubt), he's done a great job doing things himself. I won't share it here because he has wanted to keep it more private. The site gets good traffic and seems to be well favored by Google, even after updates. He's also spent a lot of time and energy really learning the ins and outs of how SEO optimization works. One thing he may be dismissing too readily is the residual income of his efforts.

Whatever the case may be, I think this has been a pretty interesting thread. This last update hurt me a bit, but I'm sure it'll work itself out. Going to probably be investing heavily in PPC soon which is probably the most (expensive and) stable way to grow.

I just find it odd that he is quick to comment on other peoples sites/situations, but is never willing to disclose his own.
Why exactly would he want a sales site to be private? And whenever his situation is brought up he usually just says how great his site is and then deflects all other comments/questions.
Im not saying he is lying, I just find it odd is all.

But it really makes you wonder when someone talks about this great site making loads of money but then wont disclose the site.

Last edited:
I just find it odd that he is quick to comment on other peoples sites/situations, but is never willing to disclose his own.
Why exactly would he want a sales site to be private? And whenever his situation is brought up he usually just says how great his site is and then deflects all other comments/questions.
Im not saying he is lying, I just find it odd is all.

But it really makes you wonder when someone talks about this great site making loads of money but then wont disclose the site.

There are a number of legitimate reasons to not share his URL publicly(PM me if you want it). They range from as basic as not wanting to try to filter out where the traffic is coming from to not wanting folks to replicate the link profile. On the extreme side someone could see him talking about how great his site is doing and torpedo his site with negative SEO because they think it's funny.

Back