Primerica #2 provider of term insurance in "North America"

The problem is, naive investors only measure gains against their original investment, and not against the lost gains had they gone a different route. An extra 1/4 point in fees can add up to 10's of $1000's over the life of an investment. It's easy to calculate using "The Rule of 72". which is actually a double-edged sword and cuts both ways.

Not sure what that has to do with:

mutual funds, which are the equivalent of a Herbalife F1 milkshake to healthcare

Of course mutual funds will have varying underlying management expense. That doesn’t change the fact that mutual funds are a viable investment vehicle used successfully by millions of people.

Of course mutual funds will have varying underlying management expense. That doesn’t change the fact that mutual funds are a viable investment vehicle used successfully by millions of people.

And that's an odd statement to me.

If they were so successful, why did so many lose in 2008 and require Nancy Pelosi to waive RMD's in 2010... and again in 2020?

The last 20 years have been abysmal and would've worked better not "buy and hold", but strategically time the economy (not time the market) to invest when values are low, watch them rise, take their profits, and keep their liquidity for the next opportunity.

Not sure what that has to do with:

mutual funds, which are the equivalent of a Herbalife F1 milkshake to healthcare

Bicycles also transport millions of people daily. So what color is your Schwinn?

And that's an odd statement to me.

If they were so successful, why did so many lose in 2008 and require Nancy Pelosi to waive RMD's in 2010... and again in 2020?

The last 20 years have been abysmal and would've worked better not "buy and hold", but strategically time the economy (not time the market) to invest when values are low, watch them rise, take their profits, and keep their liquidity for the next opportunity.

The last 20 years have been abysmal? Really? You pointed to two periods over 240 months that had downturns. In reality, there was a third period in that time with a downturn (2000-2002). But even with that, over the last 20 years (05/01/2000 - 04/30/2020), the S&P 500 has an annualized return of 8.88%. That's hardly abysmal. And no, I'm not saying everyone should invest in an S&P 500 fund/ETF. There's so much more to a portfolio than one index. I'm just pointing out the return of the market in general over the time period you mentioned to show that it hasn't been abysmal.

As for strategically timing the economy, if a person can do that, more power to them. Keep in mind, anyone approaching retirement should probably limit equity exposure. Especially if they are going to need that nest egg to meet their expenses.

It's obvious we disagree on investing in the market. I try not to get emotional about investing and just look at data. If a person doesn't have a stomach for the swings, then they probably shouldn't invest in the market. It's really that simple.

Bicycles also transport millions of people daily. So what color is your Schwinn?

Is this really how you back up your arguments? It isn't very convincing. You haven't made a single argument that backs up your original comment. But I'll play along. The person with the bicycle gets to travel farther and faster than the person who walks. Which means they have a better chance of getting more accomplished.

Is this really how you back up your arguments? It isn't very convincing. You haven't made a single argument that backs up your original comment. But I'll play along. The person with the bicycle gets to travel farther and faster than the person who walks. Which means they have a better chance of getting more accomplished.
To cavemen, even a square wheel was an improvement???

You've convinced me toolbelt, investing in the market is terrible. Quick, somebody dig John Bogle up out of his grave and tell him he's an ***.
Investing isn't terrible. And doesn't Vanguard have an ownership interest in a well known MLM that sells mutual funds? Hmmmm, doesn't sound biased to me!!!!

Back