Professional liability question

devilscream

Hi all

I've got the following fragment in my insurance:
"We agree to pay on your behalf all sums which you become legally obliged to pay (including liability for claimants' costs and expenses) as a result of any claim first made against you during the period of the policy arising out of your professional activities (...)".

Let's say I am providing my services to my Client.
My Client is providing his services (I am my Client's sub-contractor) to another Company.
What happens if that Company makes a claim against my Client? Does my insurance cover such a case, where my Client's insurance turns out not "big enough" (i.e. the liability limit of his own insurance is exceeded)?

I just want to understand what does "claim first made against you" means.

Best regards,
Daniel

Based on only that sentence you quoted the answer is no, your insurance would not cover your client's own professional liability, only his.

However, if a customer of his sues him the customer is likely to sue you, too, and then your policy would cover you but only for your own liability, or provide you with a defense.

As for your second quote I'm guessing you have a "claims made" policy and not an "occurrence" policy.

This like will explain the difference:

https://www.thehartford.com/business-insurance/claims-made-vs-occurrence

I suggest you sit down with your agent for a more thorough explanation of your policy.

Back