QMB+ with no Medicare?

azmedsupagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a client who shos they have QMB+ however when I have the carrier do a check to find the MBI they are telling me his social is not found in the CMS system and has no mbi. I am completely stumped. How can someone be a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary with comprehensive medicaid benefits and not have a Medicare number?

I have a client who shos they have QMB+ however when I have the carrier do a check to find the MBI they are telling me his social is not found in the CMS system and has no mbi. I am completely stumped. How can someone be a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary with comprehensive medicaid benefits and not have a Medicare number?
They can't. Your client may be confused about what he has. Alot of my clients don't know the difference between Medicaid & Medicare.

yeah... thats what I though. However Humana and UHC are both confiming he is qmb+ and doesnt have a medicare number. I have no idea how... hes t65 in august and has been drawing ssdi for decades so you figure if he was going to have Medicare it would be showing up by now. Especially since hes showing QMB+... Ive been doing this for 15 years, never seen this happen.

I once had a snp client tell me he owned a private jet so you can't always go by what they say .lol.Do you know how much he makes on SS or if he has SSI? If he has SSI or income below SSI level he could be one those people who don't have the 40 quarters and was never enrolled in Medicare.

How long you been selling Medicare ? I’ve written 400 duals in 20 months . That’s a basic question . 10-1 says he gets paid on the 1st of the month . He’s on ssi and not ssdi . He doesn’t have the work history and doesn’t have Medicare . Most like that are under age 65 . At age 65 he’ll get part B . Some states will allow the Beneficiary to get part A if they apply . If he’s under age 65 he’s sol getting Medicare

Last edited:
How long you been selling Medicare ? I’ve written 400 duals in 20 months . That’s a basic question . 10-1 says he gets paid on the 1st of the month . He’s on ssi and not ssdi . He doesn’t have the work history and doesn’t have Medicare . Most like that are under age 65 . At age 65 he’ll get part B . Some states will allow the Beneficiary to get part A if they apply . If he’s under age 65 he’s sol getting Medicare
Ive been selling Medicare for over 15 years. Not sure you even made a point here, you just kind of listed off obvious things that have little to do with my question or made total assumptions like "hes on ssi and not ssdi".

Like I said, I have confirmed using the DSNP eligibility tool with humana and UHC that he has QMB+, I also asked that same carriers to look up his MBI and they found none. By definition, qualifying for QMB+ means you have medicare, however in this case it appears he does not. Its very, very strange. Im going to continue checking for his MBI, the only thing I can think of is there is some kind of delay between his qmb showing up and his MBI showing up.

Ive been selling Medicare for over 15 years. Not sure you even made a point here, you just kind of listed off obvious things that have little to do with my question or made total assumptions like "hes on ssi and not ssdi".

Like I said, I have confirmed using the DSNP eligibility tool with humana and UHC that he has QMB+, I also asked that same carriers to look up his MBI and they found none. By definition, qualifying for QMB+ means you have medicare, however in this case it appears he does not. Its very, very strange. Im going to continue checking for his MBI, the only thing I can think of is there is some kind of delay between his qmb showing up and his MBI showing up.
What you need to do is make a 3 way call with your client and Medicare and then you can get the information you need.

That’s 200% incorrect . I run into 5-10 people a week that are Medicaid only . If you become disabled , little to no work history and lower income you go on Medicaid. How you know there on ssi is if they get their ss check on the 1st. Those people will never get Medicare under the age of 65 . Usually when they turn 65 they’ll get part b only . They didn’t have the work history for part A. Some states will allow them to apply for part a and pay for it . If you become disabled, middle to upper income with a work history you become eligible for Medicare in 24 months . Depending on how much your ss is and if you derive other sources of income you might be able to get Medicaid .

yeah... thats what I though. However Humana and UHC are both confiming he is qmb+ and doesnt have a medicare number. I have no idea how... hes t65 in august and has been drawing ssdi for decades so you figure if he was going to have Medicare it would be showing up by now. Especially since hes showing QMB+... Ive been doing this for 15 years, never seen this happen.

If he has had SSDI for decades he would have have been enrolled in Medicare two years after he started drawing SSDI if he had 40 quarters.I believe they still won't automatically enroll him in Medicare at age 65 without the 40 quarters.He has to proactively enroll and take a leap of faith that he will get the Medicare Savings Program to pay 1000.00 or so that unsubsidized Medicare cost for those without the 40 quarters.

If he has had SSDI for decades he would have have been enrolled in Medicare two years after he started drawing SSDI if he had 40 quarters.I believe they still won't automatically enroll him in Medicare at age 65 without the 40 quarters.He has to proactively enroll and take a leap of faith that he will get the Medicare Savings Program to pay 1000.00 or so that unsubsidized Medicare cost for those without the 40 quarters.

They will not auto enroll a Medicaid only person in Medicare part a . I run into so many over age 65 with part b only . Sometimes it takes people years of going banc and forth to get and sometimes they never get . Honestly they don’t need it . It’s for all the extra benefits they want

Back