Recently licensed and looking for honest IMO to be successful

Jd we both know few agents have a chance to make it starting with very little money . Of course there’s exceptions .Selling is very mental . . . . When your desperate to make sales customers can feel it and get scared away .Even Scott says they need to have other jobs . Another thing you can’t teach and few have is desire and hunger. It’s the reason few make it in this business . I remember when I first started in fe . I had just started and winter was approaching . I knew daylight hrs would be less for door knocking . I switched to more appts after 5 and knocking on weekends. Nothing would stop me from succeeding .

It seems to me that every top producer I know or that I have discussed their story with, started from nothing.

I have seen well funded agents try to do this business and they seem to be the ones that fall out first.

Of course if someone could come into this business well funded and a plan B in place makes sense on paper. But in reality it just doesn’t work like that.

What I’ve seen is the agents that have to make it, make it at a far higher percentage.

There is no easy button. Everyone is searching for it. And some recruiters push the easy narrative. They will use someone like me as an example, “look at JD, he’s in the field 2 days a week and writes over $200K every year”. Implying I only work field days. They completely ignore that the real work is the non field days. I had to tell my prior IMO to stop doing that.

I’ve been really lucky with my choices. My first IMO was really focused on teaching agents to sell life insurance back then. I say then because that’s not their focus today.

My first FMO for Medicare sales was training focused back then too. They are not now.

My first FE IMO was training focused but especially so if you were under one particular RD, which I was. An RD I met because of this forum.

I would not have made it at my first FE IMO had he not been my direct upline. I butted heads with the marketer from the start. Looking back it was mostly my fault. But regardless of fault, it happened. I was taken off the lead program.

Only because of Travis Tubbs did I stay. Only because of Travis Tubbs did they let me stay.

Travis has a way of approaching this business and looking at this business that no other FE recruiter/trainer I’ve ever run across has. It is a true holistic approach. Everything matters. EFWC. If an agent comes into FEX and follows what Travis teaches to the letter, they will be successful.

I say I’ve been with only 2 FE IMO’s and technically that’s true. But really only one since Travis was my RD at the other one.

I just went with him when he started FEX. Mostly loyalty at that point. I’m a loyal person. Travis stepped up and was loyal to me so I was loyal to him when he started a new venture.

Travis’ pitch to me was very simple, “I’m outta here. I’m starting an IMO focused on agents first and I would like you to join us. (At that point there was to be 3 owners), I know you are well established here and successful here and I will not be mad if you chose to stay.”

It took me a minute or less to say “I’m in”

I have now worked with Travis for 15 years. He is one of my best friends in the world outside of insurance and my best friend in insurance.

I have seen agents come and go. The ones that have gone have been for a myriad of reasons. The ones that have stayed have one thing in common, they all listened. They all took the coaching and applied it. They didn’t fight the system.

I did the same. It wasn’t Travis’ system. For me it was the Hudgen’s system. We had hard copies and cassette tapes. I was still showing horses then. I listened to those tapes going and coming. My wife heard them so much she could do the Hudgen’s presentation. I learned it word for word. And put it in practice word for word.

I did that because they knew how to sell life insurance and I didn’t. I hated parts of it. But I followed it anyway. And it worked. I sold life insurance. As I got better and over time I removed the parts I hated and made it more of my own. But to this day I still use some of it.

The agents I see that immerse themselves in the system at FEX make it.

I tell agents that chose other IMO’s now to do the same. Go all in with that IMO. Follow what they teach or don’t go there.

I get calls, emails and texts regularly about getting referrals. I do get what seems to be a lot of referrals. I do not ask for referrals. I’m a firm believer referrals are earned.

When I start telling these agents everything I do to earn referrals they balk. Especially when I start telling them I deliver all policies. “I’m not gonna deliver policies, what else you got?”

It goes kinda like that on the rest. They want the referral easy button too.

This is hard work. It’s mentally taxing. And even if one can do the work, many cannot run a business. They can’t make their own schedule and stick to it. And the family has to be on board.

It’s a wonderful career. It just doesn’t fall in your lap though.

Jd we both know few agents have a chance to make it starting with very little money . Of course there’s exceptions .Selling is very mental . . . . When your desperate to make sales customers can feel it and get scared away .Even Scott says they need to have other jobs . Another thing you can’t teach and few have is desire and hunger. It’s the reason few make it in this business . I remember when I first started in fe . I had just started and winter was approaching . I knew daylight hrs would be less for door knocking . I switched to more appts after 5 and knocking on weekends. Nothing would stop me from succeeding .

I started by putting my leads on a credit card. I had a little bit of savings in the bank, but I knew my wife wouldn't let me blow through our savings on leads. So I put my leads and all other business expenses on a credit card, and I went to work.

I made minimum payments on the card for the first few months. Then, I joined FEX. I was able to get consistent leads there. I was also producing a lot more, and I was doing so consistently. After a few months at FEX, I paid off my credit card in full.

That's how I started. I don't know how many agents start that way, but I would tell a hungry new agent it's okay to use credit cards at the beginning if needed.

My whole approach is to find the person's WHY?. Educate them them on what's available to satisfy that WHY ... my goal is mainly to just have them enunciate their WHY ... I need them to say out loud what they want.

This is the key to "closing" sales. You don't need a book of "100 Sure-fire Closes" to sell anything.

Ask more questions to sell more stuff: FE, "life insurance" (lol if FE isn't life insurance what the heck is it?) annuities, LIRPs, etc. JD starts right off with a question to get the prospect to say out loud what his or her "why" is. You can't give it to them, they have to say it for themselves, otherwise they are on your why, not their own. If you say it, it is either no sale or a chargeback. If they say it, they are likely buyers and likely will keep it.

If the prospect doesn't want to fix what your product will fix, they will not buy it no matter how many fancy schmancy "closes" you memorize.

@jdeasy does with 5 leads what these young FFL youtube poser whippersnappers brag about doing with 1000 leads.

OP, make this easy on yourself: If you want to be a success in FE, contact FEX and get on with it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
So now were advocating starting a business with little to no savings and using credit card debt ? As I said a few will make it doing that but most won’t . It sounds like if you have some savings you’re a fat cat and won’t be hungry to succeed . Your mind must be conditioned for success. This month in a 14 day period I worked 13 of the days . I wrote 41 mapd , 7 fe and 6 hip plans . I drove over 2k miles . Of those sales I replaced at least 25 agents who were lazy and didn’t stay in touch with the clients . An agent either has self motivation or he doesn’t .Writing x amount of business means squat . $300 k of fe business is meaningless . What did one net after lead cost , chargebacks , appt setter ,gas , car exp’s etc . The only person that banks big dollars on gross premium are the fmo’s .

Last edited:
So now were advocating starting a business with little to no savings and using credit card debt ? As I said a few will make it doing that but most won’t . It sounds like if you have some savings you’re a fat cat and won’t be hungry to succeed . Your mind must be conditioned for success. This month in a 14 day period I worked 13 of the days . I wrote 41 mapd , 7 fe and 6 hip plans . I drove over 2k miles . Of those sales I replaced at least 25 agents who were lazy and didn’t stay in touch with the clients . An agent either has self motivation or he doesn’t .Writing x amount of business means squat . $300 k of fe business is meaningless . What did one net after lead cost , chargebacks , appt setter ,gas , car exp’s etc . The only person that banks big dollars on gross premium are the fmo’s .

From someone that has no idea about writing $300K in FE in a year.

I get it. You had to get out of the FE business. Giving away free MA plans works for the moment.

You can be a buttboy for CMS. Not my style.

And no one is advocating anything. Just giving facts. Well, some are. Some just spew BS off topic.

My reservation with buying leads, a few have mentioned to just run up my credit cards $6-8k and grind it out for 90 days and I should be ok.

The best way to not run up your credit cards $6-8K, is to have $6-8k saved up in the first place! Short of that, there are HELOC loans or other bank lines of credit with much better interest and terms than a credit card! But you don't want to start out without consistent lead flow. If you do, just realize going in... you're going to just limp along spending 95% of your time prospecting to generate leads that the mailhouses or Zuckerberg would be doing for you! I know all about this because I've been limping along for years!

If I were starting over today from scratch, I would get on a reduced comp contract with subsized direct mailer BRC leads (not B leads!) like Dave Duford (Rearden) offers and work my way up to street level comp!

But that $601 comp (varies among states) for "New to MA" makes it worth it though! ;)

Not to me it doesn’t. I had almost 1000 MA clients. I haven’t written one since Feb 2009 and never looked back.

Only person at FEX that’s written more MA plans than me is Travis.

I’ve written one since he has. He’s never looked back either.

But if one feels it’s worth it then go on with it.

Not what this thread is about though.

Not to me it doesn’t. I had almost 1000 MA clients. I haven’t written one since Feb 2009 and never looked back.

Only person at FEX that’s written more MA plans than me is Travis.

I’ve written one since he has. He’s never looked back either.

But if one feels it’s worth it then go on with it.

Not what this thread is about though.

The "Gubment" can crash the MA party for agents at anytime. Just like what happened to individual health agents when Obamacare was enacted. But folks will always have a need for life insurance to cover a cremation or burial. And FE agents for the most part, can live without fear of goverment interference apart from the states!

From someone that has no idea about writing $300K in FE in a year.

I get it. You had to get out of the FE business. Giving away free MA plans works for the moment.

You can be a buttboy for CMS. Not my style.

And no one is advocating anything. Just giving facts. Well, some are. Some just spew BS off topic.

Actually i did 275k,347k and 393k k fe in successive years . I know several other agents who’ve also down those type #’s . The world your in with fex is very small Jd. I use 3 different fmo’s to place my business and had 10 carriers i placed good business with .You thrive on being patted on the back and admired . I could give 2 shits about that . I care about deposits .The reason i got in mapd was the renewals . I got tired of bs nothing renewals and being on the hamster wheel. Wether I work in the month of April 1 day i got 5 fig renewals hitting my account . You’ve been in fe what 15 yrs? You’re lucky if you have $5 or $6k renewals .Obviously you jumped out of mapd because retention is 1000 times tougher than fe . Your right its free but free means they can switch 3 to 4 times a yr. Jd how much of that Kskj Business you’ve done over the yrs was business you rolled from your book?Kskj rates have a 5 yr spread vs other carriers . In kentucky you can’t contest replacement claims in first 2 yrs . I’m willing to bet it was a truck ass load.Love you Jd

Back