Selling Final Expense Face-To-Face | Pros & Cons

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
As a new agent, you need to decide whether or not you will exclusively focus on selling final expense in-person or over the phone.

While I think both methods absolutely work, today I focus on the good and the bad of selling final expense on an in-person basis:

1. Easier to build rapport and trust. Ultimately, you the agent ARE the product! And the final expense sale is made based on whether or not the prospect trusts and likes you. Selling in person - seeing you in the flesh - is easier for most of our prospects to buy in and trust you than it is over the phone, where one lacks the natural advantages of a face-to-face interaction.

2. Higher conversions. Simply put, having the ability to physically be in-person - whether prospecting at the door or running an in-person presentation - will convert more leads into sales than if sold exclusively over the phone. Unlike final expense phone sales agents who cannot door knock their leads, the face-to-face agent can, which greatly contributes to higher lead to presentation conversion rates.

3. Easier to learn. New agents with little to no business-to-consumer sales experience will have an easier time learning the craft of selling final expense on an in-person basis. Phone sales take more time and skill; in addition to mastering the script, a telesales agent must practice and develop other skills, like tonality, pacing, inflection, and be better prepared to handle objections, as they are much more commonplace than in the world of in-person final expense sales.
Now, the drawbacks of selling final expense face-to-face:

1. Windshield time. There's definitely an inefficiency argument to make about face-to-face sales. Most of your time is behind the wheel, traveling to each appointment or door knock opportunity. And in addition to racking up thousands of miles on your vehicle, there's no guarantee your appointment or door knock will answer.

2. Dangers of in-home sales. Make no mistake, selling in people's homes comes with added risk. I had one prospect threaten to kill me (I closed him anyway). One of my lady agents had the client lick her neck in appreciation of her services at the conclusion of an awkward hug. A pit-bull recently bit an agent of mine on a pre-set appointment; dogs have bitten me 3 times, and one time a pit-bull jumped up to my legs, jaws ready to maul my crotch into pieces. If you're worried about your safety, or not prepared to defend yourself, face-to-face may not be for you.

1. Dangers of in-home sales. Make no mistake, selling in people's homes comes with added risk. I had one prospect threaten to kill me (I closed him anyway). One of my lady agents had the client lick her neck in appreciation of her services at the conclusion of an awkward hug. A pit-bull recently bit an agent of mine on a pre-set appointment; dogs have bitten me 3 times, and one time a pit-bull jumped up to my legs, jaws ready to maul my crotch into pieces. If you're worried about your safety, or not prepared to defend yourself, face-to-face may not be for you.

The guy that threatened to kill you...is that the biker when Don/Petey was with you (temporarily)?

Maybe we should wear the old steel cups like we wore playing baseball to protect our crotches from getting mauled into pieces by pit bulls. OUCHIE!!!

Last edited:
The guy that threatened to kill you...is that the biker when Don/Petey was with you (temporarily)?

Maybe we should where the old steel cups like we wore playing baseball to protect our crotches from getting mauled into pieces by pit bulls. OUCHIE!!!

No, it was another prospect. Guy from Alabama deep in the woods.

Seems like a bait post but I'll play.
If a new to FE agent asked me about selling FE my response would be;

Do you want to make a great living for you? Or do you want to make money for your upline?

If they want to make money for themselves then I would tell them to go face to face.

If they want to make the upline money then I would tell them to go to telemarketing.

Cons of being a telemarketer;

More communication is visual than most realize.

Client acquisition is much, much higher.

Limited companies with a full telesales program. And the ones that do are usually the higher priced companies.

Much more difficult to review current coverage and thus replacement opportunities are limited.

Much less likely to get multiple applications in one call.

I would surmise much less referral business. But that may be wash? Most face to face agents aren't getting referrals either.

Basically chained to desk all day, everyday making calls.

Cons of face to face:

I really can't think of any at the moment.

The only cons I can think of would apply to either method.

Being a telemarketer for life insurance whether outbound or inbound calls has to be the single worst way to work in this business.
An agent is better off drinking the kool,aide served by Lincoln Heritage or Senior Life and hitting the streets face to face.
Marketers pushing telesales will tell you otherwise to get the override.

Sitting on your arse all day on the phone is terrible for your health,quick way to become obese.

No face to face human interaction with the customers who buy from face to face which can be entertaining,heart warming.

Have you ever heard of anyone making a happy fullfilling career as a telemarketer ?

Have you ever heard of anyone making a happy fullfilling career as a telemarketer ?
I know a few but not many. Takes a unique mindset to enjoy it.

There's a lot of guys on here that do it like I do. I'm 98% virtual and have been for over 10 years. Only do F2F when I want to.

There are those on here that say it can't be done but that's bullshit. Term, UL, WL and everything else. If it's insurance you can sell it over the phone.

I know a few but not many. Takes a unique mindset to enjoy it.

There's a lot of guys on here that do it like I do. I'm 98% virtual and have been for over 10 years. Only do F2F when I want to.

There are those on here that say it can't be done but that's bullshit. Term, UL, WL and everything else. If it's insurance you can sell it over the phone.

I'm only talking FE here. And I specifically said "FE".

And I know a few that do sell FE successfully over the phone. This thread was about what to say to new agent considering his path.

I stated what I would say to that agent. And why.

I'm only talking FE here. And I specifically said "FE".

And I know a few that do sell FE successfully over the phone. This thread was about what to say to new agent considering his path.

I stated what I would say to that agent. And why.
And I was responding to Noah. Not you.

Back