Seminar worth it?

jack3454

Super Genius
Ive been thinking about doing seminars to get medicare clients. Its out of my comfort zone, but if It will help my business Ill do whatever. I talked to someone who only does seminars, and he explained how he does turning 65 lunch/dinner seminars where a person gets a mailer for a complimentary lunch or dinner and a short medicare presentation. The company that does this handles all of the mail send outs as well as the RSVP system. They also give you tips on how to do the presentation and they have databases of who to mail to. This company charges .75 per mail piece, and they mail around 3,500 mailers so about $2,600. On top of that he pays $15 per meal so an additional $525-675 for the food. All in he spends about $3200. He said he gets about a 1-1.3% response rate to the mailers so in the end he will get about 30-35 people to attend the dinner and not everyone becomes a client.

Its not cheap so I'm hesitant to sign up to do this. Im thinking I probably can do the same thing, find a venue but with no food (provide water and maybe snacks), send out mailers (not sure where to get demographic lists to target turning 65), and hopefully people show up.

For those who do/have done seminars, what are your thoughts?

Ive been thinking about doing seminars to get medicare clients. Its out of my comfort zone, but if It will help my business Ill do whatever. I talked to someone who only does seminars, and he explained how he does turning 65 lunch/dinner seminars where a person gets a mailer for a complimentary lunch or dinner and a short medicare presentation. The company that does this handles all of the mail send outs as well as the RSVP system. They also give you tips on how to do the presentation and they have databases of who to mail to. This company charges .75 per mail piece, and they mail around 3,500 mailers so about $2,600. On top of that he pays $15 per meal so an additional $525-675 for the food. All in he spends about $3200. He said he gets about a 1-1.3% response rate to the mailers so in the end he will get about 30-35 people to attend the dinner and not everyone becomes a client.

Its not cheap so I'm hesitant to sign up to do this. Im thinking I probably can do the same thing, find a venue but with no food (provide water and maybe snacks), send out mailers (not sure where to get demographic lists to target turning 65), and hopefully people show up.

i would start with whatever company you wrote the most of and have them help sponsor seminars by paying for mailers, venue, newspaper ads, etc. Also ask your FMO if they are willing to help with cost. The ones I’ve done were mainly for current clients during AEP so had no trouble filling the seats and some brought family and friends that became clients. I just served coffee, water and cookies. Be careful with meals. If you are new you may not get much help from the carriers yet. They paid for everything for mine but have a lot on the books with them.

Seminars can be a great source of leads. Since you mentioned that it's out of your comfort zone, I'm guessing it's the public speaking part that's uncomfortable for you. Have you considered partnering with another agent who is more comfortable with the speaking part?

i would start with whatever company you wrote the most of and have them help sponsor seminars by paying for mailers, venue, newspaper ads, etc. Also ask your FMO if they are willing to help with cost. The ones I’ve done were mainly for current clients during AEP so had no trouble filling the seats and some brought family and friends that became clients. I just served coffee, water and cookies. Be careful with meals. If you are new you may not get much help from the carriers yet. They paid for everything for mine but have a lot on the books with them.

Yeah I’m pretty new so I’m not sure if Ill get a lot from the carrier but thats a good idea Ill ask and see, it can’t hurt. My FMO said they’d help but I haven’t figured out exactly what they’d help with, I’m waiting for someone to get back to me on that.

Yeah the coffee and cookies sounds better. I just think paying for those mailers then on the hook for the food, its just a lot. If it works for people, thats great. Just hoping I can fill some seats. Thx for the advice

Seminars can be a great source of leads. Since you mentioned that it's out of your comfort zone, I'm guessing it's the public speaking part that's uncomfortable for you. Have you considered partnering with another agent who is more comfortable with the speaking part?

No, I haven’t thought about that and its a good idea. I think after one or two times Ill be good on my own, just not sure where to start honestly. I’m going to ask my FMO and carrier rep if they can maybe send someone out with me. Thanks for the thought

No, I haven’t thought about that and its a good idea. I think after one or two times Ill be good on my own, just not sure where to start honestly. I’m going to ask my FMO and carrier rep if they can maybe send someone out with me. Thanks for the thought

Helps a ton if you can have carrier sales manager with you that has the necessary videos that need to be played to be compliant. And he went through the actual benefits of the plan and I just introduced them and then added info where I could. Just have everything written down that you want to touch on and it will go smooth. I was nervous as shit the first year but now am very comfortable with it. As long as you know your stuff you will be just fine.

I dont think a meal is necessary honestly. Ive been to those dinner seminars (non medicare) and got wined and dined and never used their services to this day. You would probably get a good number of clients either way.

I would do coffee, donuts and water if it were me. But getting people there, you’d need to have a mail house design a flyer and get a demographic list and mail it out. Pick a senior center (or even maybe a hotel meeting room). Maybe someone has experience with that stuff on here can chime in.

Last edited:
I haven't done seminars in a while, so maybe someone can help me remember, but isn't providing a meal uncompliant?

Pretty sure you can't provide anything more than "light snacks".

That being said, I have done hundreds of seminars over the years, and never provided anything more than a bottle of water for the customers.

Most of them were shocked when I actually started talking about Medicare. I've literally had people say midway through the presentation "wait, you don't want to talk to us about our 401k's?"

You will get a higher response with providing food, but you will also get more plate lickers. Provide value, sell yourself not the product, and close some deals!

You don’t need to do food. I do libraries. I spend $1k a month and get about 30 to show up each month.
Design a mailer. Contact your local libraries. I do 3 dates a month and mail around 2k people.

You don’t need to do food. I do libraries. I spend $1k a month and get about 30 to show up each month.
Design a mailer. Contact your local libraries. I do 3 dates a month and mail around 2k people.

Lol 1.5% response rate in metro Orlando with direct mail? Maybe 5 years ago

Back