Should You Go into Debt for Leads?

It's hard to tell someone that it won't be worth it or that you're a knucklehead to go into debt to try and get into this business. Businessmen go for broke EVERY DAY around the world because they believe in themselves. The smarter ones research profusely and make a calculated decision before jumping in. This still does not ensure their success of course. Tech start-ups are the boom recently and more of those people will go belly-up than make it. BUT for those who make it, they WILL probably tell you it was all worth it. Throughout my career I have seen MANY agents put it all on the line and go for broke. Some ended up broke and some are lifers in this business. I believe there are a few key ingredients to giving yourself the best shot if FE is the way you want to go. I had an agent from Florida fly out to train with me this week here in Texas, and we had this very conversation while sipping on a few imports along the Riverwalk. 1) Money (Whether you already have it, whether you need to sell things to get some or however you get it, you have a MUCH better shot of surviving the initial onslaught of the first 9 months with some. If it means maxing out a cc, then so be it). Agentguy5 has his own interesting story of how he got started. I'll let him share if he wants to. 2) Strong work ethic (got to have that hard-working drive and a competitive spirit is a plus to be one of the very best in my opinion. BUT this is an essential ingredient, especially during the first 9 months). 3) Good people skills (Being able to connect with people is an ingredient that rarely gets discussed, that I feel is important. I believe you will find good results when you have the type of personality that when you are with the client they feel they have known you for years). 4) Being coachable (I've seen TONS of agents with potential come and go. They already knew it all, so much so they failed out). 5) Good area to work (I didn't think there was an area in ALL OF AMERICA that could challenge me until I met Chicago. As good as Doug (Agentguy5) is, he too, met a challenge that humbled him called Miami). There are areas around the nation that are not conducive to certain agents for various reasons. The good news is MOST of America is filled with GREAT FE areas. 6) The IMO (picking the wrong IMO out of the gate can be a death sentence before you ever get started. Without even knowing you can be done before you ever begin). 7) Able to handle rejection (I've been rejected more than MOST people on this forum BUT I have proven to take a lickin and keep on tickin). Can't take it too personnel, it's just business. Now, you can have MOST of these ingredients and still fail. You can have a few of these ingredients and still make it. BUT I believe the more ingredients you have from the list above will help you THRIVE instead of SURVIVE!
thanks for sharing this information very much needed here

Petey, I love it when people say to me ... "You're not like any insurance agent I ever met." I say, "Thank you. That is a great compliment!"

Petey, I love it when people say to me ... "You're not like any insurance agent I ever met." I say, "Thank you. That is a great compliment!"

The trick is to "convey" this feeling to the client. It's important to leave the client's house with them feeling like we are "different".

Back