So - I've Received Notification that my Pre-ACA Policy is Cancelled

I would imagine sooner than later that many carrier's will cancel their grandfather plan's due to lack of participation and premium's going into that block of business to pay claims.

Nothing unusual here. Carriers have been doing this for years.

Assurant/Time/Fortis/Time was notorious for that. BX the same. Humana, Coventry, KP, Aetna.

All have closed blocks of business at some point and migrated existing clients to the next closest plan.

That's the way the game has always been played. Nothing changed just because Mr. Hope and Change came along and rewrote the rules on health insurance.

Am I the only one that mis-interpreted the law when they said that if you were grandfathered, you would not have to change your plan? Is it me? The original statements said that if you were in a plan pre-ACA being signed, that you would KEEP your plan. There were never conditions applied to it - they seemed to state that the carriers had to maintain the plans in grandfathered status even though they couldn't be marketed anymore . . . .

1) He lied.
2) Nothing in the law says the carrier must continue offering the plan. (I think I said this earlier).

I had clients with World that had pre-2010 plans.

Poof!

Clients with Celtic.

Poof!

I think I will let someone else respond after this. Apparently my explanation isn't sinking in.

ok, I just thought the rules meant something. Guess I was wrong. We can leave it here. thanks for your responses.

I can tell you it is either:

1. You changed your plan over the last 4 years, like raising your deductible that made you lose your grandfathered status. Every carrier is treating this differently.

or

2. Coventry (Really Aetna now) made a corporate decision due to the small block like everyone is saying, and am sure it's in anticipation of the eventual merge. Many carriers closed their GF business.

"You can keep your current plan" (unless current carrier discontinues).
"You can keep your doctor" (unless doctor is not a network provider).

Am I the only one that mis-interpreted the law when they said that if you were grandfathered, you would not have to change your plan? Is it me? The original statements said that if you were in a plan pre-ACA being signed, that you would KEEP your plan. There were never conditions applied to it - they seemed to state that the carriers had to maintain the plans in grandfathered status even though they couldn't be marketed anymore . . . .

No, you didn't mis-interpret the law, but like Somarco said this has been done forever when a carrier closes a block of business. The reason is not enough premium going into a particular block to cover claims and it's due to people dropping those plans a long the way, dying or turning 65. I told my gf clients from the beginning they could keep it and then I emphasized for now until the pool get's so slow it's unaffordable for the carrier to keep the plans in force.

Remember the state's have a role in this also and most I believe as Florida has to have money in reserves to cover claims and when they don't the state will either recommend or the carrier will ask to close and migrate policy holder's to another plan.

Must add what YA said if anyone changed their plan what so ever it is no longer a gf plan.

Well, I guess I'll have to notify my clients who are grandfathered that it doesn't matter at all . . . .

As I recall, the date you purchased the plan does not matter....as some carriers automatically made changes to the plans after the ACA date, thereby removing the Grandfathered clause. Aetna moved a lot of people to the "Value" plan.....and it is no different than the client calling in and altering the benefits after the ACA date. Most of my clients, to save money over the years, may have raised deductibles, etc........so, same impact.

I seem to recall that Coventry did something similar when they moved $20 copays to $30 copays a while back. So...it boils down to when did your plan last get amended....even if you had no say in the matter. Else, real grandfathered (un-altered) plans are still safe, by law (supposedly).

Back