So - I've Received Notification that my Pre-ACA Policy is Cancelled

This has hit home for us as well. I am on BCBS, the wife on Coventry, she got her letter as well. She had that plan since before Obummer was even a senator, never changed anything, not even the bank account it drafts from, and she gets Dear Johned.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is that we were not told anything, we were left in the "what the hell" zone when we started getting these calls from clients, then get home and get our own letter. All of the calls we got Friday and Saturday were from folks on non-grandfathered plans.

After Coventry was purchased by AETNA, their consumer and agent friendliness & respect started going down the toilet. Since Coventry-Aetna is so callous in their handling of these important matters, I hope none of the cancelled members decide to stay. With no more Pre-X, they're free as a bird to choose whatever carrier they want. Let's hope every one of them leaves Coventry-Aetna on 1/1/2015.
ac

Opinion here....The state DOI commissioner may have a challenging situation

In my opinion, it's not challenging to throw away angry letters...

Everyone's hands are tied on this, nothing can be done, the decision was already made and enacted after it was approved.

Carrier submitted for plan termination within rate filing for 2015 months ago, DOI approved it, carrier executed the termination. Laws and procedures were followed, and once this ball is rolling, it's not stopping. Of course, the letter you received is valid notice within the time period specified by law.

It's like appealing a death sentence at the funeral.

Don't forget your CAT plan option. Lot cheaper than bronze plans in some areas.

https://www.regtap.info/reg_librarye.php?i=590

Thanks for this.

Tried to call the marketplace to ask about this guidance, but they want all sorts of personal information just to "supposedly" answer the question, when I knew that she was going to be unable to answer it - she sounded really stupid. So . . . .

Called Coventry & read directly to her from the guidance here & on the hardship form related to cancellation & she had no answers. She told me to contact my broker rep, who I guess I will call next. Bottom line - they don't want anyone to get a catastrophic plan - why would they when they can increase my premium by $200/mo over what I pay now by giving me an awful bronze plan of theirs that covers very little? They've just doubled their revenues on the backs of all of their cancelled people. . . .

Called Coventry & read directly to her from the guidance here & on the hardship form related to cancellation & she had no answers. She told me to contact my broker rep, who I guess I will call next. Bottom line - they don't want anyone to get a catastrophic plan - why would they when they can increase my premium by $200/mo over what I pay now by giving me an awful bronze plan of theirs that covers very little? They've just doubled their revenues on the backs of all of their cancelled people. . . .

At an insurance company website, saying "yes" to the screening question regarding "involuntary plan termination" opens the door to whatever plan the website presents to you in the quoting process. If a Catastrophic plan is shown, you're eligible.

I wouldn't even consider staying with a company that screwed me however.
ac

At an insurance company website, saying "yes" to the screening question regarding "involuntary plan termination" opens the door to whatever plan the website presents to you in the quoting process. If a Catastrophic plan is shown, you're eligible.

I wouldn't even consider staying with a company that screwed me however.
ac

From what I've seen from various national companies Catastrophic plans are very similar to Bronze with a premium that is about 10-15% lower, how can that make any difference in a decision as to keeping coverage or not?

A Catastrophic plan certainly wouldn't be half the premium of a Bronze plan, it's just not happening because the benefits are too similar.

I just checked on Coventry plans in Kansas, I believe that is the OP's resident state. Here are all of the plans: http://www.coventryone.com/web/grou...idual_c1/documents/document/ppoksmo3-tier.pdf

Rates for this Bronze Copay 15 plan in Kansas City, which seems pretty good and would be better than anything that is Grandfathered, ranges from $167 (29 year old) to $412 (62 year old).

Those rates seem pretty reasonable to me, so what is the problem?

Last edited:
It also would have been more honest to say if you like your plan you can't keep it. It would have been more honest to say if you like your doctor you can't him/her.

It would have been more honest if Obamacrap wasn't designed to fail to force us into single payer.

Lots of honesty issues here.

I understand your pain but if you are low enough income you should be able to receive a subsidy on the new, improved high priced plan and higher out of pocket costs.

Rick

Is America Embracing the 10 Tenets of the Communist Manifesto?

and

Congressmen: Yes, Obama Is Using Cloward-Piven Strategy to Collapse the System | The Daily Sheeple

From what I've seen from various national companies Catastrophic plans are very similar to Bronze with a premium that is about 10-15% lower, how can that make any difference in a decision as to keeping coverage or not?

A Catastrophic plan certainly wouldn't be half the premium of a Bronze plan, it's just not happening because the benefits are too similar.

I just checked on Coventry plans in Kansas, I believe that is the OP's resident state. Here are all of the plans: http://www.coventryone.com/web/grou...idual_c1/documents/document/ppoksmo3-tier.pdf

Rates for this Bronze Copay 15 plan in Kansas City, which seems pretty good and would be better than anything that is Grandfathered, ranges from $167 (29 year old) to $412 (62 year old).

Those rates seem pretty reasonable to me, so what is the problem?

I currently pay $250 for my plan - Bronze plan they would migrate me to is $430. You think that's great? Pay for it. I asked about Catastrophic & was told that Coventry won't offer that for 2015 (big surprise), but I would be welcome to try & get one with another carrier . . .

Also, just FYI - I wrote to the White house about grandfathered plans being discontinued and asked "what gives?". They sent my "inquiry" to HHS in Washington state. A gal called me & when she couldn't answer my questions, hung up on me. . . .that's their idea of "outreach". Wow! I guess they feel they can act in whatever inappropriate way that they please, since there are no consequences to their actions. We pay for her health insurance & her retirement, yet she found my questions to be so distasteful, that she just "hung up" .. . .stunned & amazed.

Back