Start Cold Calling...HELP?

kimkim587

Hi so i decided I want to start cold calling but need advice where to start. Is it best to buy cold call list $250 for 3,000 contacts? What have you guys used? I just made the transition direct writer to broker I have multiple appointments with the best premiums. Can compete with most as far as price and quality. P&C insurance. Any tips how to start cold calling? In California by the way.

Thanks Kim

you can try salesgenie, lexus nexus, or dust off that good 'ol yellow pages. If you are looking for cold calling, it doesnt get any colder than the yellow pages and its free!!!

I agree with the Yellow Pages suggestion. The thing with buying contacts is you are unsure of their quality. Picking from the Yellow Pages might be time consuming but will save effort in the long run. Im new to this so don't take my advice as solid but just my experience so far.

My issue with the phone book, is you then have to scrub it for dnc, then research to find out the right contact. Otherwise you'll never make it past the gatekeeper.

The saying is "time is money" my time is worth more on the phone then it is doing the legwork before I can even pick it up.

I agree with the Yellow Pages suggestion. The thing with buying contacts is you are unsure of their quality. Picking from the Yellow Pages might be time consuming but will save effort in the long run. Im new to this so don't take my advice as solid but just my experience so far.

On the yellow pages you don't have to scrub against the DNC because it's all business contacts which are exempted. White pages, entirely different story.

There are a few other problems with the yellow pages, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad plan, it just has it's downfalls:
-You can't sort by employee size
-You can't focus on specific geography
-The businesses are all sorted by industry alphabetically, so if you want a cross section of many different small businesses, it may be extremely time consuming
-One of the biggest time savers in cold calling is using a dialer like Phone Dialer Software Lead Management (four outbound lines, $99/month with affiliate/promo code "AML") or Mojo Selling Solution (three outbound lines, $149/month + $25/month for recording recording). If you're using a dialer, you need them in a CSV file to load it up and the yellow pages doesn't work that way. If you're not using a dialer you're going to be making many less calls and it will be more difficult to stay organized.

Again, the yellow pages aren't a bad place to start and it's tough to beat a source of leads that will get delivered to your doorstep for free that is sorted by industry type, but as is usually the case, there's a "catch".

If business is a sole proprietor they can be listed on dnc. Faster to scrub than to look up each entity individually through the state.

Anyone can call and register their phone number on the DNC, business or otherwise, but there is no obligation on the part of any marketer to scrub against it.

A business is a business is a business and the FTC (which regulates the DNC) has zero jurisdiction over business to business transactions. Whether it's a sole prop, c-corp, s-corp. llc, or any other version of a business, it's a business. For that reason you can still robo call them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back