Start Cold Calling...HELP?

While I appreciate your expertise in this area, I don't think you're considering the possibilities. For instance, as a sole proprietor I chose to have my office phone under my personal name. The savings on the monthly cost vs a business plan far exceeded the tax benefits available if I had gone with a business line. Now that I've switched to voip that's no longer the case.

I still advertised in 3 print and online directories in the yellow pages. I was listed on dnc and my information was removed when the list was scrubbed.

If you look back at fcc decisions and directives for the last 24-36 months you'll find similar circumstances. In those situations they have been quite clear, the wish of the individual that owns the service trumps the "it's listed as a business so that means it's fair game" mentality.

I still advertised in 3 print and online directories in the yellow pages. I was listed on dnc and my information was removed when the list was scrubbed.

If you look back at fcc decisions and directives for the last 24-36 months you'll find similar circumstances. In those situations they have been quite clear, the wish of the individual that owns the service trumps the "it's listed as a business so that means it's fair game" mentality.

If you have a dissenting opinion I warmly welcome any supporting information you have on your position. The reality is that it really is as simple as it being a b2b transaction and the FTC has ZERO jurisdiction over it.

I'm unclear as what you mean by "the individual that owns the service trums the 'it's listed as a business so that means it's fair game' mentality". That is the law. You claim that the decisions over the last 24-36 months support your claim, but what specific cases have you seen?

Of course your information would be removed when a list was scrubbed, but that doesn't mean anything other than your phone number was listed on the DNC registry. Any business that would like to, regardless of organization size or structure, can put their number on the DNC registry, but again, that does not negate the fact that on a b2b call there is no obligation or legal standing to require the list to be scrubbed in the first place.

If it's a business to business transaction, that does trump everything. If there is new case law being set I'd be interested to see it, but it's really as simple as that.

Where have you seen the evidence and case law to support your claim that a marketer is subject to the FTC on a business to business transaction?

You apparently missed the portion that stated the phone was listed in an individual's name. As previously mentioned I had my own office number listed under my name as an individual, not a business name, as the available tax credit only equalled 30% of what the additional cost would have been.

Again, in that circumstance, the individual that is paying for the service can be removed. The b2b exemption does not apply if the line is in an individual's name.

You apparently missed the portion that stated the phone was listed in an individual's name. As previously mentioned I had my own office number listed under my name as an individual, not a business name, as the available tax credit only equalled 30% of what the additional cost would have been.

Again, in that circumstance, the individual that is paying for the service can be removed. The b2b exemption does not apply if the line is in an individual's name.

You use the phone number for business, no?
Is that the phone number you give your clients?
Is that the phone number you use in your advertising?

That's what matters. If all of those are a yes, then it's a business line.

Again, you claim that there have been some recent decisions and rulings that support your position and I'd love to see them.

What are you basing this on?

Last edited:
Frankly Josh, I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with you over this. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go back through my own records for the last two years to find the information just to prove a point. In regards to where the information is from, discussions and correspondence with the state attorney general's office, and federal officials with both the fcc and ftc.

I realize you sell lists for a living, and have to be seen as an expert by those you sell to. I on the other hand, have only been in the insurance business and cold calling for 22 years and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Frankly Josh, I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with you over this. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go back through my own records for the last two years to find the information just to prove a point. In regards to where the information is from, discussions and correspondence with the state attorney general's office, and federal officials with both the fcc and ftc.

I realize you sell lists for a living, and have to be seen as an expert by those you sell to. I on the other hand, have only been in the insurance business and cold calling for 22 years and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Oh come now, don't be shy like that. This isn't a "pissing contest", you made claims and are unable to support them.

You said:

If you look back at fcc decisions and directives for the last 24-36 months you'll find similar circumstances

All I'm asking for is to have you point those out. If I may be so bold, I believe the reason that you're not providing that is because you are unable to. You're "pot committed" (I may have been playing poker last night) and now your best play is to attempt to discredit me and play stupid. You're new here so it may surprise you that I've been a licensed (and selling) agent for almost a decade and that I've had up to 20 telemarketers at a time working directly for me. I don't "have to be seen as an expert by those you sell to", but I do happen to fit that title. For the fourth time, if you have some actual evidence supporting your position, such as the "fcc (although I presume you meant FTC) decisions and directives for the last 24-36 months". I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but it would be nice for you to support the claims your making. An ominous "state attorney general's office, and federal officials with both the fcc and ftc" is more than a little vague.

If there are some decisions the fcc (or FTC) have made that support your notion I'd be curious to see them, but I doubt such actually exist.

Here is my source:

Q&A: The National Do Not Call Registry

Look at item 14.
Can I register my business phone number or a fax number?
The National Do Not Call Registry is only for personal phone numbers. Business-to-business calls and faxes are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry.

It says personal phone numbers. If you're using it for business, the FTC has put it in black and white.

Last edited:
Hi Josh,

I see you are familiar with Mojo Sales engine.
Have you heard of GPS Mojo's partner company that is focused on the insurance sales.

They offer Teaching training and coaching on insurance telemarketing as well as custom Scripts for all kinds of prospecting unlimited leads and much more.

GPS is actually ran by 4 Licensed agents.

Brandon Johnston
248-764-5264

I have not heard of them. I will offer you some free and unsolicited advice though. When you registered here the rules were pretty clear about advertising products and services. Depending on the mood of the forum they could chew you up about that pretty well. If you're going to promote that service on here you may want to follow the rules and get enough posts to put it in your signature and then when you hit 100 posts put it up in the offer section.

I also took the opportunity to look through the site and it looks like they're hiding the pricing and details. Maybe when you get up to the 100 posts and put it in the offers section you could include some info about the pricing?

The problem that I have encountered is i cant just pick up the phone book and call, there are many rules to follow regards to the dnc list. I have also heard that i need to register for the SAN (sub act number) in order to even purchase a cold call list. Does anyone have any input on that? I have used cold call list when i was captive and it worked great. Now with the better premiums I know it would be even better!! =) Also any lead company's anyone can recommend? For personal and business..

Thank you all for your input =)

The problem that I have encountered is i cant just pick up the phone book and call, there are many rules to follow regards to the dnc list. I have also heard that i need to register for the SAN (sub act number) in order to even purchase a cold call list. Does anyone have any input on that? I have used cold call list when i was captive and it worked great. Now with the better premiums I know it would be even better!! =) Also any lead company's anyone can recommend? For personal and business..

Thank you all for your input =)

Those are easy enough problems to solve:

With businesses you don't need to scrub against the DNC, so you're good there.

I sell lists to folks without a SAN requirement.

Getting a SAN is free and easy (for up to 5 zip codes) if you visit telemarketing.donotcall.gov. I'm trying to have a scrubbing system available by the end of the month that will let folks use that to rescrub their lists.

Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email ([email protected]) if you have any questions you'd rather ask privately or if you'd like to see what's available in your area.

Back