T65 Direct Mailer

TRH

Hello Fellow Insurance Gurus!
I was considering sending out a generic letter to soon to be Medicare beneficiaries (T65s). What are your thoughts on compliance with this since I mentioned Medicare Advantage and PDP Plans. Being that I have NOT named any plan benefits, names or prices...I should not need to file this with the DOI or get it approved by CMS...correct?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

PostedForumAd.jpg

Hello Fellow Insurance Gurus!
I was considering sending out a generic letter to soon to be Medicare beneficiaries (T65s). What are your thoughts on compliance with this since I mentioned Medicare Advantage and PDP Plans. Being that I have NOT named any plan benefits, names or prices...I should not need to file this with the DOI or get it approved by CMS...correct?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

PostedForumAd.jpg

Why do you have a picture of a priest on there?

...ok...I smiled! Who doesn't trust a priest?

Some young boys? ;)

All joking aside, a few things:

-It's my understanding that as of the most recent CMS "clarifications", if it even says Medicare they want it approved, so listing Medicare Advantage in and of itself might be enough (although I know that used to be ok).
-The font looks stiff
-The gradation is really hurting it

I like the concept of what you're trying to accomplish with this piece, but the "Addressing the needs of..." line is filler material and you need that to make an impact. Someone needs to pick that up and within seconds decide you are the person to call and answer your questions. "Have Questions About Medicare? Want to Speak With an Experienced Agent? Call XXX-XXX-XXXX" would be a massive improvement because you're hitting them with a solid prospecting question and then have a call to action.

To the larger text you have, it would probably help you to cut down on the amount of text and come up with something you can put in a larger font and be more specific. Some points about the message text:
-You say "life long Medicare Insurance Broker" (which should be "Medicare insurance broker), but for the most part, these people have lived most of their lives and so it sounds odd.
-You point to the amount of mail they get, but you're just sending them more mail.
-"Allow me to educate you", while I'm sure was well-intentioned, sounds a bit condescending, it's a command, and it implies they they are uneducated. I don't think that's quite what you're going for.

There are some other things I'd change, like dropping the picture altogether, but that part might be working for you. If you do keep a picture, I'd change it to one that shows more of you as opposed to a mug shot.

Hope this was helpful!

So you put your picture, your full name, the address and phone number of the office, but you blank out one phone number? Really???

Thats some pretty good id theft protection.

None of the information on here is mine. I substituted it all for posting on here. Just sharing the layout and information to get some thoughts/ideas.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some young boys? ;)

All joking aside, a few things:

-It's my understanding that as of the most recent CMS "clarifications", if it even says Medicare they want it approved, so listing Medicare Advantage in and of itself might be enough (although I know that used to be ok).
-The font looks stiff
-The gradation is really hurting it

I like the concept of what you're trying to accomplish with this piece, but the "Addressing the needs of..." line is filler material and you need that to make an impact. Someone needs to pick that up and within seconds decide you are the person to call and answer your questions. "Have Questions About Medicare? Want to Speak With an Experienced Agent? Call XXX-XXX-XXXX" would be a massive improvement because you're hitting them with a solid prospecting question and then have a call to action.

To the larger text you have, it would probably help you to cut down on the amount of text and come up with something you can put in a larger font and be more specific. Some points about the message text:
-You say "life long Medicare Insurance Broker" (which should be "Medicare insurance broker), but for the most part, these people have lived most of their lives and so it sounds odd.
-You point to the amount of mail they get, but you're just sending them more mail.
-"Allow me to educate you", while I'm sure was well-intentioned, sounds a bit condescending, it's a command, and it implies they they are uneducated. I don't think that's quite what you're going for.

There are some other things I'd change, like dropping the picture altogether, but that part might be working for you. If you do keep a picture, I'd change it to one that shows more of you as opposed to a mug shot.

Hope this was helpful!

VERY HELPFUL!!!
Thank your for the insight and suggestions. I will take them into serious consideration.

Last edited:
I've done this kind of mailer in the past. Like others have said, make the font bigger and use less filler words.

And don't expect a big response. About a .5% response but those that respond are usually pretty easy to sell.

Back