The Basics of a WordPress Site

Only if you're really worried about having an issue with your site do I recommend it. Especially if it's your entire living - $9mo? Not worth talking about.

Beyond that, just paying the $9 flat to move an entire site with a single click? Fantastic option.

There are some "free" options for WP backup. And if your site goes down/corrupt, etc...you'll soon see why it's free. A lot of pros use Backup Buddy - costs.

Last edited:
GoDaddy is the registrar for all my domains, including those hosted with Hostgator and other ISP's.

Moving a WP site is easy. I did one this weekend. Coordinating the relocation of the site and changing the nameservers is the tricky part. You don't want the DNS server to lose your site during high traffic times.

GoDaddy is pretty good about updating your nameservers and DNS settings and it is easy to do from within their control panel.

I do daily backups of my site and have never had an issue.

4. Posts: This is where WordPress gets a little trixy. The posts are great and can really help with SEO (a discussion for later), but what these do is feed into a blog page as running updates. Think of them like journal entries. For an example of this you can visit Blog

Nice post Josh. Wanted to share my thoughts.

-Page(s) are for static content. Like if you want your WP homepage to have static content, write it under a page not post and you can set it to reside on the main index page. Also if you have any subpages, that need to be created that aren't going to be categorized like about us/contact us/quote form, these are good to use as pages vs posts.

-A lot of people talk about setting up a blog to submit posts to. As someone who has 1 site that generates over 30 health leads/day, here is my thought.

-use pages like I said for static content.
-use posts for articles based on keywords you want to rank for ex. like "blue cross health insurance" or "your city car insurance" or whatever.

Thats all you really need to do, however you can set up a "blog" on a subpage, which is nothing more than category/archive page that will list snippets of your blog posts. For posts, that would go to this blog page, I would use this for long tail kw's that don't get much traffic like less than 50 searches/mo, make it a short post like 200 words or so, or you could use it as a kind of "news" section of your site, where it pulls relevant insurance news articles from sources like rss feeds related to ur sites topic.

Not to hijack the thread, but on a FBook business page do you get to build and then go live, or is live immediately? I have some free time anb might put it to good use

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but on a FBook business page do you get to build and then go live, or is live immediately? I have some free time anb might put it to good use

You're not hijacking it at all. I started the thread to be helpful :)

It does to live right away.

What would be the bottom line price to get the site up and running for a complete rookie? I know as you said there are several variables, but a "basic" start up site that can be built onto later is what I am looking to start with.

What would be the bottom line price to get the site up and running for a complete rookie? I know as you said there are several variables, but a "basic" start up site that can be built onto later is what I am looking to start with.

Depends on how much you want to do yourself. I'll handle everything starting from scratch for 199+5/month for hosting. If you want to do it yourself you could get it done for just the hosting and domain cost.

Whatever route you go, WordPress will let you upgrade down the road without losing much ground.

Can you change your domain name on your current WP site or do you have to just start over?

You should start a new site, but you can backup your settings and content to make it a smooth process.

Back