The Basics of a WordPress Site

All you need to do to move a wordpress website is to install a plugin called duplicator. This plugin will backup and restore your entire site to any domain you choose.

I recently joined this group Atlanta Wordpress, SEO & Web Design (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup here in Atlanta. I just started my WordPress website, using blue host, and that's as far as I've gotten.

I will play around with it a little bit before the next meeting the middle of January. From what I've seen, WordPress sites are more easy to configure and reconfigure once you learn how to do it.

The guy who runs the group is in auto claims adjuster by day, and also is an eBay reseller. He runs in several WordPress sites, and runs these meetings to show people how easy it is to get a WordPress site up and running on a budget.

I will keep you updated as I progress in developing my WordPress site.

I recently joined this group Atlanta Wordpress, SEO & Web Design (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup here in Atlanta. I just started my WordPress website, using blue host, and that's as far as I've gotten.

I will play around with it a little bit before the next meeting the middle of January. From what I've seen, WordPress sites are more easy to configure and reconfigure once you learn how to do it.

The guy who runs the group is in auto claims adjuster by day, and also is an eBay reseller. He runs in several WordPress sites, and runs these meetings to show people how easy it is to get a WordPress site up and running on a budget.

I will keep you updated as I progress in developing my WordPress site.

I look forward to hearing about how the site goes for you. The right site with work can bring in good leads.

Now it's my turn to hijack the thread.

I'm going to take everyone step-by-step as I built my word press website. Thus far, I have learned how to create a "Coming Soon" page. Here it is:

My Blog

All criticism and comments are welcome.

I have about 130 Wordpress sites and, with those sites and Youtube, generate quite a bit of traffic that does great for my business.

More and more, I've been hearing that Google is penalizing slow sites.
By slow, I mean the load time from start to finish. Google search results are produced by Google to create the best user experience. When the Google bot finds a site very slow in loading, they're now penalizing those sites by marking them down in the search results.

Also on this topic, I used to use Hostgator, like Josh started his thread talking about. Hostgator was bought by a very large corporation last year and, since, has had some major system failures. I still have some sites there and have noticed at least three major outages in the last six months.

Whenever one of my sites has gone down, because of Hostgator, I always search twitter for "hostgator" and find that LOTS of other sites are down, too. Then, Hostgator apologizes and says they're working on it. This is not good for business. Most people have their shared servers. When cutting costs, services like Hostgator and Bluehost (same company) put more and more websites on a single server. This resulted in my main site for Medicare training getting as slow as 12 seconds for an initial page load.

I did lots of research into the fastest servers out there for Wordpress hosting and settled on this one. They use SSD (flash drives) on their hosting and are lightning fast. Now my page loads in 1 or 2 seconds, maximum. As the site started making money, it only made sense to create a better user experience when loading posts and serving up webinars, etc. This was a good move for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 130 Wordpress sites and, with those sites and Youtube, generate quite a bit of traffic that does great for my business. More and more, I've been hearing that Google is penalizing slow sites. By slow, I mean the load time from start to finish. Google search results are produced by Google to create the best user experience. When the Google bot finds a site very slow in loading, they're now penalizing those sites by marking them down in the search results. Also on this topic, I used to use Hostgator, like Josh started his thread talking about. Hostgator was bought by a very large corporation last year and, since, has had some major system failures. I still have some sites there and have noticed at least three major outages in the last six months. Whenever one of my sites has gone down, because of Hostgator, I always search twitter for "hostgator" and find that LOTS of other sites are down, too. Then, Hostgator apologizes and says they're working on it. This is not good for business. Most people have their shared servers. When cutting costs, services like Hostgator and Bluehost (same company) put more and more websites on a single server. This resulted in my main site for Medicare training getting as slow as 12 seconds for an initial page load. I did lots of research into the fastest servers out there for Wordpress hosting and settled on this one. They use SSD (flash drives) on their hosting and are lightning fast. Now my page loads in 1 or 2 seconds, maximum. As the site started making money, it only made sense to create a better user experience when loading posts and serving up webinars, etc. This was a good move for me. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDdQnB4WGc Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuXBMt99iKI

Chris, you are the best tech support in the biz!

Thank you...again.

Back