"The Same Page" Thread

That's because my I'll have to get back to you on that. My schedules are in my fiance's car. She's at work. I can ball park it, but I'd rather give you a definite answer

ballparking that I set 122 appointments. Actually sat down with about 35.

When you sit down with 35 you are delivering the no cost benefits through their union.

Of the 35 I sat down with I probably had interest to buy from about 14.

Of the 14 I sold 3. I would have sold 9 of those if they had bank accounts or jobs.

I don't know your script or approach that you were taught... but those numbers are clearly a result of trying to "give something away for free".

122 - 35 - 14 - 3

Let's look at those numbers:
122 appointments set. Good number. Obviously people want free stuff.

Out of 122 appts set, 35 people sat down with you... to get the free stuff. That's 29%. Not entirely in your control, but you obviously spent time, money, gas, and mileage on your car to travel to those 122 people.

Only 14 of those 35 were interested in other products to purchase. That's 40%. That's deplorable. You could blame the company... but the fact that you started your approach by giving away free stuff... has something to do with this ratio.

3 people bought. That's a 21% closing ratio. That was in your control. What happened there? You had 14 people interested, but only 3 bought?

Here's something else: This was the LOWEST scoring % out of everything.

So... what happened that 14 people were interested, but only 3 bought? What's the story there?

Did you talk them out of it?

----------

Just saw your post - bank accounts or jobs.

Which means that you suck at pre-qualifying people.

I would've adjusted the offer to say "I have this free policy, and I'd love to deliver it to you, but it's only for people who are still working with the union and banking at their credit union. Does that apply to you?"

Remember: quality assurance starts from the beginning. I doubt you'd have set 122 appointments and sat with 35 people to get 14 interested and only 3 sales... if you would've asked a question like that up front.

One problem of some of these sales companies... is that they have no problem have you spend your money on "pre-set appointments" just to waste your time.

I did a stint with a merchant card sales outfit once. Never made a sale. But they sent me all over the county... and even gave me a lead for a woman's shelter. (What the hell would a woman's shelter need with a POS system?) So some of these companies will really use you for their purposes... and then if you make a sale... GREAT! Otherwise THEY are spending YOUR money, effort, and time to pursue THEIR leads.

If you learn to generate and prospect on your own... you can do all the prequalification you want.

Well if nothing else this is a good case study for the Frugal Son where you as CEO coach people through health and financial issues?

IF that's all you can find on me, good :D

----------

I don't know your script or approach that you were taught... but those numbers are clearly a result of trying to "give something away for free".

122 - 35 - 14 - 3

Let's look at those numbers:

So... what happened that 14 people were interested, but only 3 bought? What's the story there?

Did you talk them out of it?

----------

Just saw your post - bank accounts or jobs.

Which means that you suck at pre-qualifying people.

I would've adjusted the offer to say "I have this free policy...I doubt you'd have set 122 appointments and sat with 35 people to get 14 interested and only 3 sales... if you would've asked a question like that up front.

One problem of some of these sales companies... is that they have no problem have you spend your money on "pre-set appointments" just to waste your time.

I did a stint with a merchant card sales outfit once. Never made a sale. But they sent me all over the county... and even gave me a lead for a woman's shelter. (What the hell would a woman's shelter need with a POS system?) So some of these companies will really use you for their purposes... and then if you make a sale... GREAT! Otherwise THEY are spending YOUR money, effort, and time to pursue THEIR leads.

If you learn to generate and prospect on your own... you can do all the prequalification you want.

There is a chance I talked myself out of a LOT of sales.

I was even told that by BOTH my managers the one who left (after his windows got shout out because think of the areas of Memphis we are travelling too) and my new one who has two B.S. degrees and a Masters. and is getting his Navy Pension. When two people (not only within AIL) tell me Im too smart for my own good, I tend to listen.

I will toot my own horn here and say over the past 4-5 years I've learned to slow down and listen instead of talk. Now it would seem I just need to stop parroting all the information know about why permanent is better than term, etc. So Yes, I truly believe I did and will continue to talk myself out of sales.

It's interesting you mention the bank account question, that was actually added to the script to help agents pre-qualify over the phone sets, but my second manager said he doesnt ask that because a lot of times, people will end up magically having banks after they see what you have truly want it. Now I hear you when you say I suck at pre-qualifying people, but so early in my career my (second) manager didn't care because it was about getting referrals rather than sales. Which I get, so I went. I'll take it as a learning experience and keep moving forward to bigger and better things. I tried to put the blinders on at AIL, but I just couldn't get behind it!

Dave, sorry to hear about the merchant card sales outfit... Sounds something like Federal Financial in which they offer "pre-set appointments"

You know I was setting all my appointments and My managers appointments with AIL!

IF that's all you can find on me, good :D

----------

There is a chance I talked myself out of a LOT of sales.

I was even told that by BOTH my managers the one who left (after his windows got shout out because think of the areas of Memphis we are travelling too) and my new one who has two B.S. degrees and a Masters. and is getting his Navy Pension. When two people (not only within AIL) tell me Im too smart for my own good, I tend to listen.

I will toot my own horn here and say over the past 4-5 years I've learned to slow down and listen instead of talk. Now it would seem I just need to stop parroting all the information know about why permanent is better than term, etc. So Yes, I truly believe I did and will continue to talk myself out of sales.

It's interesting you mention the bank account question, that was actually added to the script to help agents pre-qualify over the phone sets, but my second manager said he doesnt ask that because a lot of times, people will end up magically having banks after they see what you have truly want it. Now I hear you when you say I suck at pre-qualifying people, but so early in my career my (second) manager didn't care because it was about getting referrals rather than sales. Which I get, so I went. I'll take it as a learning experience and keep moving forward to bigger and better things. I tried to put the blinders on at AIL, but I just couldn't get behind it!

Dave, sorry to hear about the merchant card sales outfit... Sounds something like Federal Financial in which they offer "pre-set appointments"

You know I was setting all my appointments and My managers appointments with AIL!

You used the same username here as on LinkedIn. Once you become a registered rep expect that the home office will be doing google searches about you. You will have no first amendment rights so may wish to make yourself discreet online.

SO change my username?

I'm not too worried about being discrete online, I just view my internet self as an extension of my personality. I don't like to hide behind the screen and keyboard. Yes that may mean my full intentions and meaning doesn't translate well, but if there's any confusion they can just call me or meet me!

Last edited:
SO change my username?

I'm not too worried about being discrete online, I just view my internet self as an extension of my personality. I don't like to hide behind the screen and keyboard. Yes that may mean my full intentions and meaning doesn't translate well, but if there's any confusion they can just call me or meet me!

Once again you do not know what you do not know about being a registered rep. Granted your not one yet. Until you are and get a home office in query to a post you made or even something small like selling an item on Craigslist you have no idea what I am talking about.

SO change my username?

Trust me - people have been fired for cause and framed for things that they didn't actually say.

Anonymity is a great thing when you're a FINRA registered rep and you're posting on sites like these.

No... what we're saying is to start a new username once you become a registered rep with a B/D and FINRA.

Or you ask Sam very nicely if he'll change your username and you give him a few ideas on what to change it to.

What they're trying to tell you is...Be Careful What You Say...Think Before You Speak!

haha I've never learned to do that!

Hopefully so far though I'm good to go. Just because EJ's home office starts searching me and sees my indecision before I finish the interview process, they can understand someone having reservations before diving head first into that kind of career.

Speaking of, I hear they will be looking for type 'A' / sales personality type responses in the STAR style interview questions. Other than googling an article written by some intern somewhere, what are some pointers you guys, the actual salesmen give to me??

Back