They Only Worried About a Checked Box

URDRWHO

Guru
100+ Post Club
I just went round and round with a third party certificate management company. I kept getting a response from them that said The General Aggregate Limit must apply on a Per: Project/Location basis. Hm? It exists and I had already sent a copy of the Endorsement so just in case they didn't receive the copy of the Endorsement...I set it again.

I kept sending them a copy of the endorsement and I would get another e-mail stating "The General Aggregate Limit must apply on a Per: Project/Location basis". What the heck! Finally I get a call from the cert management company and what they said was the per project check mark was missing on the COI.

I have a SOP where I send the COI with limits of insurance illustrated and send a pdf showing all endorsements such as WOS, AI, etc. I've had two different attorney's at regional construction companies call me and thank me for such an operating procedure. Their reasoning was that far too many times they've gone to court assuming that the COI was true but then in reality the underlying endorsements didn't exist.

What I wanted to tell the third party cert management was that with a high certainty they have received a COI showing Additional Insured status exists but in reality at the time they received the COI nothing had been manuscripted to the policy. So what happens when the insurance agent forgets to send the AI request to the insurance company or the insurance company forgets to add the AI to the policy?

When COI's are handled in-house, the in-house manager can see my endorsement.pdf file and make an informed decision based upon what they see in front of them. It seems that the third party cert management company doesn't have the ability to make an informed decision. The third party is only worried about seeing a box is checked and move on to the next case.

My State has a form that I send to people that think a COI holds a great legal standing. " these certificates do not in any context amend, extend or alter coverage of the insurance policy. They simply summarize the coverages provided by that policy. "

If the third party cert management company doesn't have the ability to look at the real legal instrument, the real policy endorsement, who is the person that is watching the hen house? You would think that receiving the real deal documents would be welcomed but apparently not. They only worried about a checked box.

I have no problem checking a box but IMHO if a box is missed the endorsements that are included would / should enable a knowledgeable person to make a decision that required insurance is in force.

Maybe I'll add this to my e-mail tag line -

"Black’s Law Dictionary defines a Certificate of Insurance as a “[d]ocument evidencing fact that an insurance policy has been written and includes a statement of the coverage in the policy in general terms.” But for those wanting to be added as an additional insured, the certificate is almost always meaningless without the actual insurance policy being endorsed. And that is where many companies run into trouble.

For some reason, the business community believes Certificates of Insurance are ironclad proof that another entity either has the purported insurance coverage, or worse, has added the company as an additional insured. Many lawyers, and a number of courts, don’t believe these certificates are worth the paper they’re printed on.

As one commentator noted, “the issuance of certificates is one of the more dangerous documents that float between insureds, insurers, and a myriad of third parties.” The reason for the danger is that when there is a conflict or discrepancy between a certificate and the actual policy, the latter controls. Remember, the policy can be changed without any consent from the certificate holder.

Even more dangerous are companies that rely on these documents as proof they’ve been added as an additional insured to another’s insurance policy. The standard ACORD form states that the certificate cannot extend or alter the coverage.

The normal procedure requires the broker to submit a request to the insurer to add an entity as an additional insured, which then endorses the policy. Without the endorsement, your chances of being an additional insured are slim, regardless of what your contract may require or what the certificate may say. In short, the only safe thing is to demand to see the policy and endorsement. "

Oh well --- box is checked and everyone is happy.

So I start calling people I know that have been in the business. I I've been here since 84 and the two women I called have been in for just as long as me. One works for an agency with 125 employees and the other has over 125 ee's.

I emailed this to them.

<<Years ago I adopted a procedure that and E&O attorney suggested. What was suggested was to place as little as possible on a COI, as little as you can to get the person to accept the COI. Then what you do is to add supporting docs.
In stead of checking boxes that may be incorrectly completed due to a slip of the finger, I send a COI with limits of insurance and then include my endorsement.pdf. I rarely have an rejections but then most of the time I am dealing with in-house cert. management people and not robots. CertFocus probably works more like a robot. If all I's are not dotted and T's are not crossed, they will reject the COI. Nobody can make a rational decesion that yes indeed there is insurance in force to satisfy the contract.

From a Law Firm this holds true ----

>
> "Black’s Law Dictionary defines a Certificate of Insurance as a “[d]ocument evidencing fact that an insurance policy has been written and includes a statement of the coverage in the policy in general terms.” But for those wanting to be added as an additional insured, the certificate is almost always meaningless without the actual insurance policy being endorsed. And that is where many companies run into trouble.
>
> For some reason, the business community believes Certificates of Insurance are ironclad proof that another entity either has the purported insurance coverage, or worse, has added the company as an additional insured. Many lawyers, and a number of courts, don’t believe these certificates are worth the paper they’re printed on.
>
> As one commentator noted, “the issuance of certificates is one of the more dangerous documents that float between insureds, insurers, and a myriad of third parties.” The reason for the danger is that when there is a conflict or discrepancy between a certificate and the actual policy, the latter controls. Remember, the policy can be changed without any consent from the certificate holder.
>
> Even more dangerous are companies that rely on these documents as proof they’ve been added as an additional insured to another’s insurance policy. The standard ACORD form states that the certificate cannot extend or alter the coverage.
>
> The normal procedure requires the broker to submit a request to the insurer to add an entity as an additional insured, which then endorses the policy. Without the endorsement, your chances of being an additional insured are slim, regardless of what your contract may require or what the certificate may say. In short, the only safe thing is to demand to see the policy and endorsement.
>
> Many ways exist for a company to prevent finding out it doesn’t have coverage through proper drafting of contracts and the requisite level of follow up. First, the entity being added as an additional insured shouldn’t rely on the certificate as the sole source of evidence. As noted above, you should demand to see the endorsement issued by the insurer"

The one woman wrote this -

"I was just in a seminar where the instructor advised not to put anything on a COI - don't check any boxes. Agree with you. We are starting to see more & more cert holders asking to see copies of endorsements. Not a lot - but I can see the shift towards this. Probably 98% of my accounts have blanket AI's & WOS's. "

I think what is coming is risk transfer where agents are not going to enter the COI trap as often; agents will present hard copy endorsements and it will be up to the certificate manager of the cert holder to accept the endorsement or reject it.

Simply put, the certificate management company wants your butt in the sling if something goes wrong.

They are NOT, I repeat NOT in the business of trying to decipher endorsements and to understand what they do and don't say. They want you, as the expert, to assure them that it is taken care of.

I've been down this road many times. They take your word for it, which is good, but by word, I mean they want the box checked. It is meaningful to them.

Why fight it so hard? Are you not the expert?

Dan

You are correct about wanting them wanting to transfer the risk to my butt.

It isn't a big deal but it is annoying that nobody cares about the truth. The third party people are getting paid well and they should also be professional enough to decipher the endorsements. After all they are acting on behalf of their client.

In today's world of risk transfer, it also behooves us to try and pass on some of the risk. The woman that wrote about attending an E&O seminar and the instructor told them to not check boxes? Well, I heard the same thing in the 1980's at a CNA sponsored E&O event.

You only want to give them as little meat as possible. You ask if I am the expert? To do so is an E&O claim in the waiting. People that hold themselves out as an expert might just as well be wearing meat underwear at a dog show. Ask any attorney about the ease of suing people that hold them self out as the expert.

So what I am seeing is the third party is nothing more than a robot? You could have a machine that reads which boxes are checked on the Acord form. A guy on another insurance forum that works for a large hospital system said they once looked at a third party management company but decided against it because --

"Most third party cert management companies will have the COI come to them, vs. going directly to the actual Certificate Holder. We (a large hospital system) looked at several of these vendors and decided not to use them because of this issue"

If the in-house COI people can take the time to understand endorsements, then it is my belief that the third part management company should do the same. That is my beef with them and I have a feeling they want to pay the least they can finding the lowest common denominator to read the certs.

Personally I like to work with the attorney's that represent the companies. They understand that seeing the truth is better than hoping for unicorns and when facing the truth they are often willing to bend.

I'll check mark their boxes but I will continue my SOP and send the endorsements. If there is ever a problem I will have a trail showing that I sent the legal policy forms to them.

This is from a legal firm and I bet you are going to see more like this in the future --

"As a holder of a Certificate, you should never rely on a Certificate to define or confirm insurance coverage.

While some courts consider Certificates “worthless documents,” they are simply snapshots of the basics of insurance coverage and, on their face, do not grant any rights to the holder. Even the Texas Supreme Court made it clear to holders that, if they accept the Certificate at face value without investigating coverage exclusions and limitations, they do so at their own risk.

To protect you from phantom coverage, brokers and agents are prohibited from checking the “Additional Insured” box unless the holder is specifically endorsed as an additional insured on the insurance policy itself.

You should make sure your correct name is placed in the “Certificate Holder” section "

So in case you missed my other post on the third party people. The third party people want the cert holder address to be their address. Now if you were an attorney would you feel comfortable with not having your address as certificate holder?

IMHO farming out the work of certificate tracking is a dangerous matter.

Simply put, the certificate management company wants your butt in the sling if something goes wrong.

They are NOT, I repeat NOT in the business of trying to decipher endorsements and to understand what they do and don't say. They want you, as the expert, to assure them that it is taken care of.

I've been down this road many times. They take your word for it, which is good, but by word, I mean they want the box checked. It is meaningful to them.

Dan

----------

Ok this is no longer freak'in funny. I just received an email giving notice --

Reason for Rejection:
- The General Aggregate Limit must apply on a Per: Project/Location basis

- Workers Compensation Statutory Limits must apply"

The per project box is check marked GEN‘L AGGREGATE LIMIT APPLIES PER:

The PER STATUTE box is check marked with limits of $1 million / $1 million / $1 million in the limit lines.

What am I not seeing????????

Dan

Back