Tracking My Sucess with AFLAC

I urge you - if you are going to provide supplemental coverage - to talk to a representative with Colonial Life. They are better in how they treat their brokers, and they have a more robust product line.

Please, Please, Please talk to Colonial first.

Supplemental coverage simply fills in the gaps in Major Medical - the deductible chosen by the empoyee/employer. Colonial is a better friend to the end user and the broker.

Colonial agents are really good and seem, as independents, to understand the limitations of the product use in certain situations. I believe because most if not all of them are also setting up the major medical plan.

More and more small groups are opting for HSA compatible plans. The carriers, as least in CA, make them sign a form (commonly referred to as a "Statement of Understanding") indicating that they are expressly prohibited from any wrapping or direct reimbursement under the deductibles on HSA compatible plans.

This prohibition specifically includes 105 and 125 plans. They are not allowed and having one in conjunction with an HSA plan will do two things.....get the agent commission cut and eventually the carrier will cancel the group.

Guess which agents for which company constantly go into small businesses with HSA compatible plans and a statement on file and try to set up 125 plans?

Last edited:
Not sure where the hostility came from. I really thought this was going to be a conversation. Instead I see several rude comments without much backing them up except sarcasm. Also, I really assumed since everything mentioned here is in written, not spoken, form that it would be very difficult to be taken out of context. However, I was wrong. Several members have taken me out of context from the same post. I think it is pretty well perceived by the masses that insurance as a whole is too expensive.

Your arguments are along the same lines as me saying that most people think 95 degrees is hot, and then countering with; oh yeah well it gets 115 where I'm from, so there...

Are all of you telling me that if all your insured were polled the majority would say they are getting a great deal on their insurances?

I believe in insurance. That is why am staking my families standard of living on it. But that doesn't change the fact that most people think insurance as a whole is over priced.

It is a realistic objection that must be overcome. And I don't think sarcasm will overcome it.

Last edited:
You bring up a point that I struggled with earlier in my career as well. I kept going in to meetings (life) thinking to myself that this is sooo expensive and they would think so too. Turns out I was in the minority. Most people know ins. is a necessity and are willing to pay for something if they feel it's important. I can't tell you how many sales I probably lost by assuming people thought ins. would be too expensive.

Bob,

Why are you so sold on Colonial? Other than this and a few other forums I have never heard of them. I would think AFLAC would be easier to sell because of their brand recognition. I'm not arguing, but I am curious. I don't see Colonial get slammed like I do AFLAC on these forums. Enlighten me.

I was not being anything but what the original poster wanted. I know from personal experience, being both a rep for AFLAC and Colonial, how I was treated and supported from each company.

Cut back on the fiber, okay?

Once you are in this industry several years, the "too expensive" answer is easy to overcome.
Every prospect has a different tolerance to risk. You have to size up each prospect.
The more exposure the prospect is willing to accept, the less premium they will pay.
Making this kind of statement, "Strictly from the consumer point of view, I can't think of any type of policy (especially major med) that payouts justify premiums", makes me wonder if you even understand how health insurance works???
Disclaimer,
Health insurance is a rip off......unless you need it.:D

I was not being anything but what the original poster wanted. I know from personal experience, being both a rep for AFLAC and Colonial, how I was treated and supported from each company.

Cut back on the fiber, okay?
Fiber? I don't know what you mean. I didn't mean anything by my comments about you and Colonial. I just wondered where you came from on the colonial suggestion. I was taking the advice seriously under consideration, but wanted to know more about why you felt that way.

BTW I am the original poster.

I urge you - if you are going to provide supplemental coverage - to talk to a representative with Colonial Life. They are better in how they treat their brokers, and they have a more robust product line.

Please, Please, Please talk to Colonial first.

Supplemental coverage simply fills in the gaps in Major Medical - the deductible chosen by the empoyee/employer. Colonial is a better friend to the end user and the broker.

You sir are 100% correct, go to Colonial. I know the Colonial reps in my area and I would feel comfortable with them calling on my commercial accounts, but there is no way in **** that I am giving any of my info to an AFLAC rep.

Disclaimer- I am appointed with colonial

Back