Tracking My Sucess with AFLAC

"Not sure where the hostility came from"

Me neither? Was there really hostility there or are you calling your comment being questioned hostile?

Now you've come out with "most people think", but that seems to be missing from your original post and now looks very CYA for posting something without thinking or thinking we'd all be in agreement.

For me, I just needed to ask you if this was the right industry for you to go into since you are begining with such a negative outlook about what you will be doing.

There was nothing hostile about it, just the question of can you do something that fundamentally you feel is wrong? Because then, isn't it just about the money you can make as you essentially dismissed the consumer as stupid enough to overpay for coverage? With those feelings, how will you help a client?

"Not sure where the hostility came from"

Me neither? Was there really hostility there or are you calling your comment being questioned hostile?

Now you've come out with "most people think", but that seems to be missing from your original post and now looks very CYA for posting something without thinking or thinking we'd all be in agreement.

For me, I just needed to ask you if this was the right industry for you to go into since you are begining with such a negative outlook about what you will be doing.

There was nothing hostile about it, just the question of can you do something that fundamentally you feel is wrong? Because then, isn't it just about the money you can make as you essentially dismissed the consumer as stupid enough to overpay for coverage? With those feelings, how will you help a client?
You seriously don't think the phrase "Strictly from the consumer point of view" and "most people think" are fairly synonymous?

Do you sell for AFLAC MrMack?

I work part time. I also work in the senior market. As an Aflac agent you not captive so you have a lot of choices. I don't put all the eggs in the same basket. The major competition is other Aflac agents. I service my accounts but I don't cold call as much as I used to.

The CONs: They are a recruiting machine. Once you make your $17,500 production, they get a bonus and they move on to the new recruit. You will NOT make money enough to cover your expenses until 2-3 years.

Get used to hearing "you are the fifth Aflac rep to call me this week." The Aflac do not call list is mushrooming, but largely ignored by new agents calling from business lists. Other carriers offer similar policies and better training without all the internal competition.

Bob,

Why are you so sold on Colonial? Other than this and a few other forums I have never heard of them. I would think AFLAC would be easier to sell because of their brand recognition. I'm not arguing, but I am curious. I don't see Colonial get slammed like I do AFLAC on these forums. Enlighten me.

Look at it this way. You are now an AFLAC rep, and it's your turn to start visiting businesses in the area to sell them on AFLAC. Guess what, they already know because a majority, probably 80-90% already have AFLAC. What are you going to sell them?

Now look at it this way. You walk into the same businesses and you represent Colonial, and they have AFLAC. You now have better products in your briefcase, can talk to them about better products, and replace, or go in side by side, AFLAC.

Listen to these guys. You will be broke in 3 months selling AFLAC... That's the way it is, like it or not. You have been sold a bill of goods, and you have no idea what you are getting into. Voluntary benefits is a tough gig because hourly employees don't have an extra 5 bucks a week to give you.

You can listen to these guys, and have a great career in insurance, or you can reject the advice and go broke.

There is a business in my area that has a sign on the door that says " AFLAC agents, go away", I wonder why.

Last edited:
There is something that Paul always says, Your income is directly related to the income of your clients. Just remember, it is all relative. You may think that 10k premium is too expensive because you work months to make that much. But your prospect may think it is a perfectly reasonable life premium. Don't assume you necessarily know what is affordable for your prospect. They just might surprise you either way.

That said, I suspect you'll find all the AFLAC agents before you have already poisoned the well.

Bodevane, my two cents, from experience:

AFLAC is indeed a recruiting machine, I was a DM before I became a financial advisor a while back. Keep hiring bodies, a few will stick, most will not, then the orphan clients are split among the vets. A DM's job is essentially to keep hiring, keep training, keep replacing, because people do not make a living doing AFLAC full time. Nasty.

But not as nasty as walking into a business, introducing yourself, and the receptionist rolls her eyes. "Good God, you're the fourth AFLAC rep THIS WEEK! How many ARE there of you?" I absolutely guarantee you'll hear that one regularly.

Indeed, Colonial's products are better, benefit for benefit. If supplemental is all you're going to do (and I strongly advise against that), then you'd better give them a good look. Their gap plan is far superior to anything AFLAC has, and that's critical in a business.

I'm not being hateful or sarcastic, those just are the facts, and they are from experience. It may be that you can live on maybe $15,000 year one, $20,000 year two, and a bit more after that, but you would be in the tiny, tiny minority.

If you're interested in insurance and like working with businesses, I'd recommend applying at a local broker who has a good reputation. This would give you a much fuller slate of products to offer.

Either way, best of luck, and remember that those who actually DO THE WORK are those who make it in this business.

Last edited:
You seriously don't think the phrase "Strictly from the consumer point of view" and "most people think" are fairly synonymous?

You don't know what you don't know.

And there is a lot you have to learn, I would keep rereading this thread and other aflac threads till you get it.

This is an insurance forum not a hate aflac forum, but having said that if thats how all the aflac threads go maybe there is a reason.

Latest posts

Back