Tracking My Sucess with AFLAC

Bodevane

I hope all the negative comments here don't stop you from posting. I too am considering a position with Aflac and I'd really like to hear your story. I went to the interview, with the only research I did on the company's website. tonight I've spent an hour reading all kinds of derogatory posts and I'm starting to have my doubts. It would be nice to hear some honest, cool headed evaluation from someone who is currently undertaking the same endeavor that I may soon find myself upon.

This last round of posts is relieving. I appreciate the honesty. Is it really that dishonest of a company? I spoke with several field agents, and several offices and they have said similar things. They tell me the majority don't make it, some make decent money 40-60k, and some do very well 100k +. I asked my future DSC more about the commission structure for management and he told me that they basically take a 5% override on everything their team makes, plus bonuses for reaching goals, and their renewals. The office I am going to did $3.1M last year which puts his income before bonuses, renewals, and stock at $150K. My point is I found all the stories fairly consistent with each other (including the field agents I spoke with) but when I research online I get a different story. For example I should expect $15K my first year, and/or be broke in 3 months. The only person on this thread that sounded as if they had worked for AFLAC is the guy that made $70K his first 18 months with a lot of expenses. Are the ones sounding off in the segment that don't make it? Or are many of you right, that no one makes much money selling AFLAC alone?

A burning question (and please don't take this as argumentative) is did the ones so down on AFLAC give it all they had? Can they truly say it was all the companies fault?

Also I would like to ask the ones that WORKED for AFLAC and are now saying it is impossible to make a living how well they are doing at their current insurance careers. Are you the cream of the crop? Are you mediocre? Are you struggling?
To be sure, this is not an accusation this is just trying to collect all the facts.

Steel, I don't plan on letting the negative stop me. I really appreciate any honest fact based comments anyone has.

Last edited:
A burning question (and please don't take this as argumentative) is did the ones so down on AFLAC give it all they had? Can they truly say it was all the companies fault?

I can answer that. NO, I did not solely work for them. I was simply an independent agent, who wanted to add their product to my arsenal. They sent a very attractive blond to give me lowdown on the product line, and let me know how we will call on prospects together in the beginning, until I knew what I was doing.

Well, that didn't happen. I got a lead, tried to schedule a meeting with her to go with me, to make a presentation. THREE TIMES I had to reschedule, because she called at the last minute, with another meeting that was more important than mine.

Lost that sale.

Happened the same way with the next three leads I uncovered.

Sold one by myself, and SHE got most of the credit (commission)!
:skeptical:

Then they sent me a statement 18 months later, stating that I owed them money. Called my PPL attorney. That put a stop to that.

There are several other examples I could give, but time and the fact that I would come across as a whiner prevent that.

Totally different with Colonial.

I have to preface this by stating that I have never worked for AFLAC, nor with anyone who worked for AFLAC. I've known a couple of people who did work for AFLAC. They don't anymore. One guy sold me a vacuum cleaner at Sears last year.

My issues are centered around the mistakes poorly trained and myopic AFLAC agents make that can have catastrophic effects on small businesses.

I am not addressing the CI policies, those are stand alone and are either perceived as being of benefit or not to an employer and his/her employees.

I have dealt with several small family businesses in the last year who were put at risk of termination of their group health plan because they violated the direct reimbursement/flex plan rule. They were not my groups, they are now. In each case, the Sec. 125 FSA plan had been put in place by an AFLAC agent who was unaware that using or even having an existing 125 plan in conjunction with certain group health plans is prohibited by all of the small group carriers in CA (and I am sure other states as well).

One owner told me he showed the Statement of Understanding he had signed with Anthem BC to the AFLAC agent and the agent told him it was ok to set up a 125 account anyway, it didn't apply to AFLAC.

I only bring this up because there was an "agent" for AFLAC on here some time back who claimed that not only had AFLAC singlehandedly cured "sisacell" (whatever the heck that is), but was the largest provider of 125 FSA plans in the country. I assume that you read that thread.

Excellent post Bob. You are coming from the broker side. That does sound terrible. I asked one of the DSC's, specifically, how they handled broker relationships. The way it was explained is that basically it was good for the AFLAC agent, but bad for the broker. I think they want an AFLAC agent in with every deal. Unfortunately that leaves the broker depending on an agent that may not be very attentive. Which was your case.

However, I am still looking for more comment from AFLAC agents past and present vs. brokers who didn't get the support they need.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Right Dave. I remember that guy. If it is the same one I am thinking of, he had a real problem with grammar. He was also a BROKER who had a good AFLAC agent and a good experience with AFLAC. Unfortunate though that he couldn't articulate his points well. I think we can all recognize AFLAC does a good job with its donations to charitable causes. I think what he meant was that the AFLAC cancer center has the largest Sickle Cell treatment center in America. BTW thanks for your service to our country. I was 4 and out in the USAF.

The guy that did that to the small business should have told them he had to check before he out them in that position. Terrible and inexcusable. I wouldn't think though that those types of situations are isolated only to AFLAC agents.

Regardless, I would like to hear more honest actual experiences from former or present AFLAC agents.

Last edited:
Bodevane,

What you need to do is look around the office you are planning on joining. How long has the DSC and RSC been there? How long have the agents been there? Don't be surprised if the answer is less than 5 years, or even less than 2.

Bodevane...Sorry if I spelled your name wrong...

Your missing the point when you go into a business to sell your product which is voluntary and at best supplements existing benefits do you think the owner might ask the existing Broker the one who helped with placing the Health plan in place about your plans? What everyone here has spoken about is the way AFLAC treats Brokers and Reps....Would you rather work with a company that kills its relationship with Brokers or one that works in harmony with brokers...

When you add to the fact that yes will have a license to sell product but once you start adding in section 125 plans if you don't know the ramafications of what you are doing it can adversly affect your clients business.

The reason you are not as aware of Colonial is that unlike AFLAC they don't pitch to the consumer. They work with insurance agents (ones who can research products and realize the better value for their clients) and don't waste the money on excessive direct marketing to the consumer....Think about your health insurance plan...Did you purchase your policy from the carrier that did the most advertising or the one that had the best value for you? Do you even see carriers advertising health insurance? (I have to ask as I am in Maine and as a GI state we have very few carriers)

People are trying to give you their honest opions yes we are mostly down on the AFLAC oppurtunity but many of us have been appointed with AFLAC (I've been appointed with them as well as Colonial) I don't care about name recognition when it comes to supplemental products when I am pitching the business owner I can show them the value of one carriers products over the other and he makes the choice of which is offered to his employees....

The other thing to think about is something I hear from most of the business owners I speak to that have gone through with implementing an AFLAC program. They are just amazed at what is presented to the employees and what is pitched and what is not...The owner might take advantage of the FSA to save on taxes for what he will spend anyway (The AFLAC rep might not even mention it (As I remember no commission) The Aflac rep will pitch accident plans over disability plans.

I was like you many years ago, I was new to the industry and only had my interviews to go on. I took my first step with Healthmarkets/ Mega which pushed vastly inferior products during my month with the company in the run up till I took my exam (Pre licensing books were out of stock) they would not show us the product. Even after being licensed I didn't realize the absurdity of what they were doing. Couldn't sell a life insurance policy unless the health was placed first and could not sell more than 90K. Now after 11 years I still don't know it all but I realize how little we understand when we come into this industry.

Of the AFLAC agents that are hitting it out of the park, I would ask them if they work with brokers? the answer might be enlightening and remember what your DSC told you about the program with brokers.

One last thought it may seem like we are dumping on AFLAC and that might be because AFLAC is a recruiting machine and like most recruiting machines the oppurtunity for the agent is less than at a company that recruites less and spends more time developing its agents...Partly why Bankers is dumped on, Primarica, AIL etc...

It's a great place to cut your teeth. Take the experience, meet some business owners--then keep those contacts in your back pocket. One market that is underserved with AFLAC is the individual market. In your short term with them, hit up your neighbors, knock on doors etc.

In the long term, network with other Insurance Professionals and make a decision whether you want to work selling $20 a month accident plans, or selling $1000 a month true protection policies.

As I tell everyone in my business, you have to start somewhere--I am not giving anyone a leg up because I sure didnt have one. Happy selling

Of the AFLAC agents that are hitting it out of the park, I would ask them if they work with brokers? the answer might be enlightening and remember what your DSC told you about the program with brokers.

I know two AFLAC agents "hitting it out the park". Both market completely different than taught by the company. Both find the money on the health side, then have the employer set-up a "benefit bank" with a portion of the savings. This means they get 100% participation and then work on employee buy-ups.

I was contracted with AFLAC at one time, but prefer to work with Allstate since they pay me twice as much for the same work! I have a dedicated wholesaler who doesn't split the commissions with me, but is willing to help with enrollments.

Realize this, AFLAC has pissed in the well with most SBO's. You may think the name recognition is good, and it will be in a few cases, however, when most people hear your with AFLAC they will say something along the lines of "we looked at that and our employees didn't want it." One client of mine has a hobby of collecting cards of AFLAC agents that call on him. He showed me a stack of cards from over 15 different agents! Not one of them got the account, but I was able to implement a program because I presented it differently.

My opinion: if you are going to go B2B, pick something easier to sell and that will pay you decently. You can always pitch AFLAC after you get a new account. For B2B, I work the life insurance angle. I know commercial P&C would be good as well, because I get asked about it all the time.

Back