UHC Changes to Commission Payments

Let me get this right. Are you all saying that the true ups will not be paid until the following year? It sounds like some of you are switching people and getting a prorated amount. I just got trueups on 11/1/2015 and 12/1/2015 effective dates from Uhc. I write a lot of dual special needs and I did see that $102 commission so I'm on the lookout.

----------

Also I called PHD and they said it didn't matter how long a client was in a policy,if you are the second you get renewal only. Example ,Harry enrolls mike for 11/1 effective date and I use a SEP to switch him 12/1 ..I get the renewal rate...but the other agent gets a full charge back...........

Let me get this right. Are you all saying that the true ups will not be paid until the following year? It sounds like some of you are switching people and getting a prorated amount. I just got trueups on 11/1/2015 and 12/1/2015 effective dates from Uhc. I write a lot of dual special needs and I did see that $102 commission so I'm on the lookout. ---------- Also I called PHD and they said it didn't matter how long a client was in a policy,if you are the second you get renewal only. Example ,Harry enrolls mike for 11/1 effective date and I use a SEP to switch him 12/1 ..I get the renewal rate...but the other agent gets a full charge back...........

That's always correct on your last question.

UHC, in their own agent guide contradicts this (see further below).

According to an "agent manager" (aka, someone who has never been in the field) this change occurred 9/1..yet they didn't notify anyone (her words). Lol

I see this only happening to CIP commissions..not the UHC/AARP MAPD. And no other companies are doing this. None.

UHC f'd this up and now they are just making stuff up until they can fix it. I mean, these morons use excel spread sheets to ledger commissions and adjustments. It's like it's 1993.

Per the CURRENT agent guide (and per CMS):

Beginning with 1/1/2014 effective dates, commission will be calculated based on the number
of months the member is enrolled for the plan benefit year except any Plans, designated by
UnitedHealthcare, where the member has no plan history per CMS, as these will be paid at
the full initial rate regardless of date of enrollment. CMS guidelines state a plan year ends on
December 31 regardless of effective date of the enrollment.
o Upon notification from CMS that a member qualifies as an initial year member, the
commission for the new enrollment will be reversed and repaid at the initial year rate.
Beginning with 1/1/2014 effective dates, commission for enrollments designated as initial
year by CMS will be paid the initial rate based on the number of months the member is
enrolled during their initial plan year, except any Plans, designated by UnitedHealthcare, to
be paid at the full initial rate regardless of date of enrollment. CMS guidelines state a plan
year ends on December 31 regardless of effective date of the enrollment.

UHC screwed the pooch..and if they aren't careful they'll be sued. They owe our group nearly $75k in new business. Just is just one group.

----------

Let me get this right. Are you all saying that the true ups will not be paid until the following year? It sounds like some of you are switching people and getting a prorated amount. I just got trueups on 11/1/2015 and 12/1/2015 effective dates from Uhc. I write a lot of dual special needs and I did see that $102 commission so I'm on the lookout.

----------

Also I called PHD and they said it didn't matter how long a client was in a policy,if you are the second you get renewal only. Example ,Harry enrolls mike for 11/1 effective date and I use a SEP to switch him 12/1 ..I get the renewal rate...but the other agent gets a full charge back...........

It's CIP. After three years, these idiots are finally trying to integrate the two systems together..and always at the best time..right during AEP.

Part of the problem with these companies, is that they are run by complete morons. None of them have ever been in the field..they don't even know what a commission payment is. Check this out. This was from one agent manager in Stl trying to explain how an MAPD commission works. Brace yourself..I can't be more serious.

Commissions are outlined in the Agents Guide, which can be found on the Agent Producer Website, section 8. I will send that in a separate email.

Let me give you a breakdown with some examples.

You get full commission if they are new to Medicare, or initial year member, lump sum. Example: Person turns 65, first time enrollee and you write an MAPD plan

We pay 50% commission (of initial rate) if they are not new to Medicare, but new to UHC. That is paid in a lump sum. For example, you move them from another carrier to UHC.

When they renew with UHC, then the renewal rate is paid on a monthly basis. Example: They were new to UHC in 2014 and they renew in 2015.

Not sure how you're saying not one other company does this when every single company in Florida does this for MAPD

Not sure how you're saying not one other company does this when every single company in Florida does this for MAPD

This isn't Florida..and not one of the other companies does it, here.

Chazm, the other disturbing thing is, where is the agent communication on this? You're just not going to pay on SEP business RIGHT before AEP when nobody get's paid until January?

This isn't Florida..and not one of the other companies does it, here. Chazm, the other disturbing thing is, where is the agent communication on this? You're just not going to pay on SEP business RIGHT before AEP when nobody get's paid until January?

Maybe I'm confused on what you're referring to but I mean you get paid right away but it's been prorated for the rest of the year. I went to a meeting with one company and they explained the prorated pay so I asked if we would get shorted on T65's like I do with other companies. He didn't have an answer.

Edit: I also just went back and looked at my statements and it looks like WellCare HMO just started paying in FULL recently and UHC has been paying in full but I won't know until next week for my October pay.

The CMS guidelines point more and more to Calendar year everything... new enrollments paid on calendar year, renewals paid on calendar year, enrollments based on calendar year and so on.

If you have a T65 with an effective date of 1/1 and you take the app 11/15, because it falls in the "next" calendar year, you wouldn't get paid until the next year.

Opposite of that, if you take an application on 11/15 for a T65 effective date of 12/1, you would get paid on that, based on the carrier's commission schedule. In my area, with most of the carriers, its generally full commission in a lump sum.

I dont think that carriers are just not paying anything during AEP, but I think it falls to when the client becomes effective. That seems to be the trend I am seeing anyway.

I cant follow all the other comments. But all I know is UHC screwed up. I sold an MAPD, first timer, eff 9/1, got paid 408. Sold another one, MAPD, first timer, eff 10/1, got paid 102. UHC set an expectation and then changed their strategy without any clear communication to us, the agents.

I feel like Milton, in the movie Office Space (the weird guy with the stapler). They dont tell him he's fired, they just take him off the payroll and let him figure it out.

Honestly, I sort of want to go out and move all my UHC mapd customers to another company (as long as it's still in their best interest of course), just to express my frustration. But they wouldnt care bc I dont have many ma customers, its just out of principle.

I cant follow all the other comments. But all I know is UHC screwed up. I sold an MAPD, first timer, eff 9/1, got paid 408. Sold another one, MAPD, first timer, eff 10/1, got paid 102. UHC set an expectation and then changed their strategy without any clear communication to us, the agents.

I feel like Milton, in the movie Office Space (the weird guy with the stapler). They dont tell him he's fired, they just take him off the payroll and let him figure it out.

Honestly, I sort of want to go out and move all my UHC mapd customers to another company (as long as it's still in their best interest of course), just to express my frustration. But they wouldnt care bc I dont have many ma customers, its just out of principle.

Per our contract, they have 15 days to notify agents of any changes to the compensation..which they haven't done.

If you read the agent guide on unitedhealthproducers.com it clearly states how we are supposed to be paid, and it hasn't changed.

Heads will roll, no doubt. I just talked to the oversight board at CMS who audits and watches this stuff. I am assuming we will get paid everything we are owed next week now. Lol

Jerks.

Back