United ICA a good way for newbie to start?

20th Maine

Super Genius
My "Significant Other" got licensed a couple of years ago--she helps me plus named her successor agent

I started as an ICA back in the stone age--does UHC still do that? I got plenty of leads. I also signed with a FE agency with paid leads and YES I GET IT reduced commissions. But first year between the two worked out OK and cost really nothing to start. In couple of years went independent

Would that scenario work today? If not, is there a better way?

My "Significant Other" got licensed a couple of years ago--she helps me plus named her successor agent

I started as an ICA back in the stone age--does UHC still do that? I got plenty of leads. I also signed with a FE agency with paid leads and YES I GET IT reduced commissions. But first year between the two worked out OK and cost really nothing to start. In couple of years went independent

Would that scenario work today? If not, is there a better way?
i would only recommend going captive if you need the training.
If you have a good feel for the business go indy

i would only recommend going captive if you need the training.
If you have a good feel for the business go indy

She is FAMILIAR with the business but needs training. And unless that has changed she can go indep and keep the book--just no more leads

She is FAMILIAR with the business but needs training. And unless that has changed she can go indep and keep the book--just no more leads
she can start ICA, then go indy and keep the book she wrote? seems like a pretty sweet deal. starting ICA wouldn't be a bad idea then.

she can start ICA, then go indy and keep the book she wrote? seems like a pretty sweet deal. starting ICA wouldn't be a bad idea then.
Thats the way it WAS---not sure about today. and the UHC folks in my city are all buncha HS kids so trying to get the real story

I started with UHC under the ICA contract in 2019, I terminated that contract in 2022 in favor for a EDC contract (independent). I still receive leads and kept BOB from ICA time.

Last edited:
I started with UHC under the ICA contract in 2019, I terminated that contract in 2022 in favor for a EDC contract (independent). I still receive leads.

Dang--I havent gotten lead 1 since I left ICA. UHC lured in a couple of huge agencies and had to promise leads to get them---it was at that point even for ICA the leads went to zero. Then they were pissed I went indy. I was like REALLY?

Dang--I havent gotten lead 1 since I left ICA. UHC lured in a couple of huge agencies and had to promise leads to get them---it was at that point even for ICA the leads went to zero. Then they were pissed I went indy. I was like REALLY?

The number of leads have been less and less each year, even under ICA, so I was not worried to change contracts and risking lead volume. During enrollment periods, I get invited to participate in call blitzes, and I make sure to participate in those to show my willingness to be a "team player", same with meetings to discuss this, that and the other. I have a good relationship with the local broker management team, not sure if that's why I still get fed some leads.

What states do you work? I have 13 agents under me and we all sit at diff. doctor offices and write business for whatever company we want, point being, stay indi so you are not a one trick pony and market yourself and get going making relationships

What states do you work? I have 13 agents under me and we all sit at diff. doctor offices and write business for whatever company we want, point being, stay indi so you are not a one trick pony and market yourself and get going making relationships

How do you sit at drs offices and write business ? Are you approaching these patients ? Hard for me to believe yiu just sit there and an a patient walks up to you . Are you writing them right there ? Will you keep your agents in 2025 when overrides go away ?

Back