Web Design, Why Does It Matter ?

I dont think John is going to replicate the lead form/quote engine posting job in addition to a similar site design deal for $400, not that he isn't capable, I dont know- just any programmer/designer is not going to slash their rates like that.

I dont think John is going to replicate the lead form/quote engine job in addition to a similar site design deal for $400, not that he isn't capable, I dont know- just any programmer/designer is not going to slash their rates like that.

That's why I hopped on it fast. I don't believe I can get it replicated for $400 yet alone on wordpress since others have quoted me wayyyy higher or wont even touch it. i dont think he really looked the sites over but if he can I'm on definitely buying one. I need a test tube site.

One thing I want to make very clear is that the sites he referenced are great site - top notch design and functionality. I didn't want anyone here to think I was taking a swipe at the sites.

Personally, I'm not a fan of recurring fees for websites - $30, $50, $100 a month. At some point the price exceeds the value. Keep a site for 5 years at $50/mo and it's a $3,000 site. Get tired of that method and now you have to pay for a new one. Services justify recurring fees - like a Norvax, Quotit engine. It's a service and behind the lines it's a lot of work to update the maintain. Websites are not a service - they're a product. Most agents don't need a lot of service work on their sites. When they do, most of it is simple text changes.

Most of the cost associated with a websites that make a site expensive is the design element. True web designers don't use cookie cutter templates. They rightfully charge for the design element. So to pay a lot for a template? Not really seeing it. The work is done once they develop the template - but only once. Imagine buying a top of the line Wordpress theme and they want $800. Sales? Zero. Because once it's been designed, at that point it's just volume - hence $20 to $50.

As an example, I have a new client who's a DJ. He's been quoted $3,000 to $10,000 for a site. Why? Because the design is where the expense come in - and he'll have to pay that if he wants his own custom design.

Now, if he wants to choose a design that's already been created (template) then:

http://themeforest.net/item/stylico-wordpress-dj-theme/full_screen_preview/706938
http://themes.rascals.eu/switcher/?theme=pendulum

Savings? A few grand. Now you just need someone to set it up and put in the info - same as if you bought an insurance template site. There's no design aspect so you're paying someone for their time to format the text and media. How much is that worth? Whatever you think it's worth. To me? Not all that much.

Last edited:
One thing I want to make very clear is that the sites he referenced are great site - top notch design and functionality. I didn't want anyone here to think I was taking a swipe at the sites.

Personally, I'm not a fan of recurring fees for websites - $30, $50, $100 a month. At some point the price exceeds the value. Keep a site for 5 years at $50/mo and it's a $3,000 site. Get tired of that method and now you have to pay for a new one. Services justify recurring fees - like a Norvax, Quotit engine. It's a service and behind the lines it's a lot of work to update the maintain. Websites are not a service - they're a product. Most agents don't need a lot of service work on their sites. When they do, most of it is simple text changes.

Most of the cost associated with a websites that make a site expensive is the design element. True web designers don't use cookie cutter templates. They rightfully charge for the design element. So to pay a lot for a template? Not really seeing it. The work is done once they develop the template - but only once. Imagine buying a top of the line Wordpress theme and they want $800. Sales? Zero. Because once it's been designed, at that point it's just volume - hence $20 to $50.

As an example, I have a new client who's a DJ. He's been quoted $3,000 to $10,000 for a site. Why? Because the design is where the expense come in - and he'll have to pay that if he wants his own custom design.

Now, if he wants to choose a design that's already been created (template) then:

Stylico - Wordpress Dj Theme Preview - ThemeForest
Rascals Labs | Theme: Pendulum

Savings? A few grand. Now you just need someone to set it up and put in the info - same as if you bought an insurance template site. There's no design aspect so you're paying someone for their time to format the text and media. How much is that worth? Whatever you think it's worth. To me? Not all that much.

are you doing this on wordpress? The thing about the platform I current use is its a CMS hence why I pay a monthly fee. My current template has been modified beyond recognition and I was able to do most of the changes myself. I don't know html, java, or any other coding but I make changes daily. I actually make money of my current site and that's because I'm able to constantly update the site and make changes to anything and everything at will. I've thought about it more last night and realized if you are doing this on wordpress I'm familiar with the platform and its just not going to work. Are you using a more complex platform like drupal or is it just a fancy looking wordpress. And what happened to just $400 you advertised not $400 + $50 / hour?

are you doing this on wordpress? The thing about the platform I current use is its a CMS hence why I pay a monthly fee. My current template has been modified beyond recognition and I was able to do most of the changes myself. I don't know html, java, or any other coding but I make changes daily. I actually make money of my current site and that's because I'm able to constantly update the site and make changes to anything and everything at will. I've thought about it more last night and realized if you are doing this on wordpress I'm familiar with the platform and its just not going to work. Are you using a more complex platform like drupal or is it just a fancy looking wordpress. And what happened to just $400 you advertised not $400 + $50 / hour?

Good discussion. I use Wordpress since it allows my clients to log in and take care of simple edits and even layout changes.

This leads us to a discussion of monthly fees. How odd is it to have to take care of your own updates AND pay a fee? Very. Typically you'd pay a fee if the webmaster did all of the updates.

But I see monthly website systems all over the place where it's "$50 per month" you take care of your own updates. It's a bit like Jiffy Lube charging you $50 a month and you have to do your own oil changes at home.

My fee is $400 flat. I just mentally break it down to $50/hr. There is no fee past the $400. I'm not sure how I'd charge more than that since the design (theme) is already done. Layout changes - as in content area changes? Takes minutes.

I won't even charge $400 if my client is going to format their own text: http://yourmedicareagent.com - charged a flat $100 to just set up the theme including menu pages, contact form, etc...

It's this theme: http://demo.studiopress.com/metric/

Last edited:
Assuming John sticks to his pay me if you're happy guarantee, which I have no reason to believe he won't, it sounds like a can't lose. Give him the content you want with placeholder graphics if necessary and see what you get.

I hesitate to involve myself again here, but in defense of Alex; very few web designers know anything about insurance marketing regulations. Nor should they. Furthermore, it is the solely the agents responsibility to ensure that their marketing material follows regs.

Would you blame the printing or graphic design company if the agent left off their license number on a postcard? I doubt it.

Insurance marketing regs go far beyond just having having your license number on marketing material. I highly doubt there is a single professional web designer out there who has any significant knowledge when it comes to insurance marketing regulations. Sure, if you have experience with a few insurance websites you might have picked up a thing or two. But until you can summarize the NAIC Guidelines on Annuity Marketing, your not impressing anyone. And if the agent doesnt know their marketing regs then they really have no business building a website in the first place.

As a client, I want a web designer who knows web design and web marketing, not insurance regulations.

If you have experience with insurance sites, what I want to hear about are your conversion ratios for those sites!

Sorry, I've been a bit busy yesterday.

I really can't tell you anything exact about the conversion rates if I make your insurance website.

I can guarantee you though that the conversion rates will be higher than with your current design.

I hesitate to involve myself again here, but in defense of Alex; very few web designers know anything about insurance marketing regulations. Nor should they. Furthermore, it is the solely the agents responsibility to ensure that their marketing material follows regs.

Would you blame the printing or graphic design company if the agent left off their license number on a postcard? I doubt it.

Insurance marketing regs go far beyond just having having your license number on marketing material. I highly doubt there is a single professional web designer out there who has any significant knowledge when it comes to insurance marketing regulations. Sure, if you have experience with a few insurance websites you might have picked up a thing or two. But until you can summarize the NAIC Guidelines on Annuity Marketing, your not impressing anyone. And if the agent doesnt know their marketing regs then they really have no business building a website in the first place.

As a client, I want a web designer who knows web design and web marketing, not insurance regulations.

If you have experience with insurance sites, what I want to hear about are your conversion ratios for those sites!

If you get a web designer who knows web design and web marketing, you're going to end up with a jack of two trades, master of neither. Just because web designers and web marketers both use computers and the Internet does not mean that one automatically begets the other. Web designers often know just enough about web marketing to hurt themselves and, of course, clients.

Website conversion analytics is a whole separate area of expertise that involves, amongst other things, split testing and multivariate testing.

Last edited:
Back