What do you use for your own health insurance? & What would you recommend for my situation?

multipledigits

I am married (spouse is unemployed, going back to university) and we're now both at a point of needing to get our own health insurance. We're both in our 20s, non-smokers, fairly healthy, no kids. Live in the Chicago area. Since I'm self-employed as an insurance agent (Medicare only) and cannot get any nice subsidized plans, what would be your recommendation for health insurance?

I liked the idea of getting an HSA because safety-wise I'd rather get all the deductibles/premiums out of the way sooner (and it's something I can save for) and then have the plan cover everything else. When I got some quotes from eHealth it looked like everything else was still pretty expensive and co-insurance/co-pays were insane ($1,000-$2,000 ER co-pay after deductible!).

I ask in this forum just because I work with MS/MAPD agents exclusively and when I searched the other forums I didn't really find what I was looking for.

Your use of the phrase "going back to University" makes me wonder if you are a citizen or not. Mist citizens of the US would say "my wife is going back to school" and there may be options for you which are different for citizens.

If your AGI is too high for ACA tax credits (I did a quick search and a Cook County couple in their 20s loses tax credits at about $85K AGI), then it looks like you can get an HSA eligible bronze plan for about $600/mo combined premium.

If you have assets to pay the $7000-$7500 max out of pocket person, then don't bother with the more expensive plans and just focus on getting an acceptable network. It's not easy to filter through networks on the ACA using just a plan finder/doctor finder tool, so a local broker could be helpful and a good resource for you anyway. Don't assume that just because your plan says UHC or AETNA that you are getting some broad national network like your Medicare clients. ACA is very different.

I'd still do the application on healthcare.gov and just request no upfront credits, in case AGI falls under that number (and with new deductions for self employed health insurance and maxing out your HSA, maybe it would if you had down year).

Paying full price for crappy ACA insurance like the rest of us will make you an even better Medicare agent with all the great options for 65+ people. And don't hesitate to turn your personal experience buying ACA coverage into a new part of your business for future clients.

If you have assets to pay the $7000-$7500 max out of pocket person, then don't bother with the more expensive plans and just focus on getting an acceptable network. It's not easy to

Or if you believe your health is generally good and you just want to gamble on only having to pay some portion of that deductible each year ......

(Just have a backup plan to cover the full deductible for some year in which you have to meet it due to the law of averages.)

I have a Fl blue ppo pre-ACA plan. If that ever was canceled, I would probably purchase Medishare.

My wife doesn’t work (takes care of our baby) and we don’t qualify for a subsidy.

Back