What Would You Say on a Med Supp Lead?

Thanks Mike, thats the plan anyway. I forgot to mention that the return time will be much less, around a week. This should help in the "I don't remember sending it in" responders.

How is it going to cost you less by doing it yourself?
Yes the wording definitely effects the return but not necessarily the amount of sales you get.

quite a bit less to do it yourself.... envelopes are about 2.5c each, 1.7 cents per name (which you don't have to rebuy every time), 3 mailers per page at 1.2cents each, about 1c per page for toner, and then .26 to mail standard without barcodes, comes in at about $325/thousand.

Then 1.18 per BR that comes back, and .44 per bad address if you don't do "or current resident". Where it wins doing it yourself in my opinion, is I get responses 4 days after I drop off at the bulk mail center, instead of 3 weeks with a mail house.

If you use company specific mailers supplied, lots of times they are free, so then you are only talking $260/ thousand!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My cost will be around .31 each @ first. If it works, then I will also get the bulk rate permit, that will drop it down to around .26 each. I wont be dropping a 1000 a week, prob. 400 each week to start. I will have to play with it until it is perfected.

I forgot to mention that I will also be using slave labor (my kids) to cut/fold/seal the mailers.

I am doing this because I can, I have everything I need. I did a drop from Prospect Pro's in March, it worked well w/4.5% return. However, it was the same old tired lead. I recieved a lot of t-65's, MA's, Tricare, so the return was really around 3%. My thinking has always been for years that if a honest lead piece was mailed, the return would be less, but a much higher quality of prospects. I guess I will see soon enough, first mailing will go out end of week.

do yourself a favor and get a folder/inserter. It's the only professional piece that I've got, but it will fold, stuff, and seal 3000 an hour, and I only paid $1000 for it on ebay. Well worth the money, pays for itself after only a few mailings

Last edited:
I've never put my toll free number on there, but have put my cell phone on since it's local. Usually average 1-4 calls per thousand mailers, depending on time of year and county I mail. Those that call know what they are looking for, and are usually quick sales....

Never tried 888 number. Figured I had a better chance at them calling if they saw I was local. Probably should run it both ways to see

I'd also hire an answering service for night time calls.

I am looking to do the same thing. I have been sending postcards for MA products and want to start getting into more Supps. I have averaged 3 appointments per thousand, not a huge ROI but it has been a good way to build my book of business and of course... referrals are gravy.

I'm thinking about testing some folded/tabbed business reply cards, just tear off and return. Has anybody ever utilized this format, or is it just SOP to throw a reply card in an envelope.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, thought it might be relevant to the OP.
I'd also hire an answering service for night time calls.

Apparently the PO had a clogged drain over the last few weeks. My last 3 mailings all landed yesterday and I have been taking calls from sun up to sun down. I almost wish I had an answering service for this fiasco, never thought I would want the calls to slow down. My cell phone has brought my left ear to about medium well.

Last edited:
I am looking to do the same thing. I have been sending postcards for MA products and want to start getting into more Supps. I have averaged 3 appointments per thousand, not a huge ROI but it has been a good way to build my book of business and of course... referrals are gravy.

I'm thinking about testing some folded/tabbed business reply cards, just tear off and return. Has anybody ever utilized this format, or is it just SOP to throw a reply card in an envelope.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, thought it might be relevant to the OP.

Apparently the PO had a clogged drain over the last few weeks. My last 3 mailings all landed yesterday and I have been taking calls from sun up to sun down. I almost wish I had an answering service for this fiasco, never thought I would want the calls to slow down. My cell phone has brought my left ear to about medium well.

you'll get a lot more back with a reply card than just a phone number, but i like when they call

Back