Would this Be a Bad Place to Prospect?

I am seriously considering prospecting on college campuses. Not during the day, but during the late afternoons or early evenings. My reasoning is that mornings are usually inundated by students still living with the rents or have mo money at all whatsoever-except for beer, pizza and ramen noodles. Evening students are generally those who are a little more mature (may not live with the rents) have jobs or families, and may very well be more receptive to getting insurance before they graduate.

As an instructor leaving my current field, this has been my observation at my tiny technical school campus. Mornings are for the recent high school graduates-no money, no maturity level, still live with the rents, afternoons and evenings are attended by the more mature folks-less drama, with jobs and families.

Has anybody taken this approach? Your thoughts, please. Thanks!

Jen

I think it would be a waste of time. Not for any reasons concerning money, but that kids that age think they will live forever. Very few think past their next party, and the ones that you may sell today will think up a better use for the money in a month or two.

That is exactly why I wouldn't want to operate at the crack of dawn, but more rather at the crack of dusk. Based on my own experience, when I was in grad school, most classes were in the late afternoon or later. I saw most of my classmates as the 9-5ers and over age 30. Those would be my primary target. If anybody younger is interested, fine, I'll fact find them. Granted, I was an oddball with insurance by having a policy at 25.

There is only one way to find out.

Also it depends on what you are selling. Based on your comment about having insurance at 25, I am thinking life insurance. Odds are, your evening students are flat broke.

At best, I think you are going to get small term deals and hopefully clients whose income and needs will grow. At worst, you'll waste some time.

You are placing relevance in an area that has no relevance. What time of the day you talk to these kids in not the issue. What is in their mind is. Insurance is simply not a priority with them. If Daddy or Mommy are paying all their bills they more than likely have life insurance through them. If not then it is near the bottom of what they consider important. Trust me.... drinking, pizza, cigarettes, weed, getting laid (or spending money trying to), gas for their car, are all things they will spend their money on before they pay for insurance. Yes, you will find one or two that will buy, people like you were at that age. But your time would be much better spent on older people or ones with kids of their own.

You are placing relevance in an area that has no relevance. What time of the day you talk to these kids in not the issue. What is in their mind is. Insurance is simply not a priority with them. If Daddy or Mommy are paying all their bills they more than likely have life insurance through them. If not then it is near the bottom of what they consider important. Trust me.... drinking, pizza, cigarettes, weed, getting laid (or spending money trying to), gas for their car, are all things they will spend their money on before they pay for insurance. Yes, you will find one or two that will buy, people like you were at that age. But your time would be much better spent on older people or ones with kids of their own.

You are completely missing the point.

Evening students are not kids. They tend to be older people who have entered the work force and are going back to school. They may be married and even have kids already.

You are completely missing the point.

Evening students are not kids. They tend to be older people who have entered the work force and are going back to school. They may be married and even have kids already.

I was addressing my points only to the on campus kids, the younger and single ones. Older ones that are married, have kids, and with their own apartments may be have a better ratio of success, but I wasn't talking about them.

I was addressing my points only to the on campus kids, the younger and single ones. Older ones that are married, have kids, and with their own apartments may be have a better ratio of success, but I wasn't talking about them.

That's great!

Except, he didn't ask about apples, he asked about oranges. So why are you so busy telling us the apples are no good? Particularly since he already acknowledged the apples suck.

It probably isn't the best way to spend your time. However, if you do one could always sell enough insurance to cover student loans should anything happen to them so their parents or significant other won't be stuck with the bill.

Back