Door Knocking Delima.

profithuner

Expert
I'm curious?

When you're door knocking and they tell you "now is not a good time." How many of you schedule appointment? How many of us push forward and say, "it will only take me 10 minutes (to see if you qualify or something of that sort) to get in the door. Which works better?

I'm curious?

When you're door knocking and they tell you "now is not a good time." How many of you schedule appointment? How many of us push forward and say, "it will only take me 10 minutes (to see if you qualify or something of that sort) to get in the door. Which works better?

Here is what works for me. "Mrs. Martha, see this card...yea you sent this in to me, I am only here for today and since I was in the area helping other people with appointments I had and since I can never get you on the phone I thought I should stop by and see if I could help, Im kind of old fashion like that...if you got 10 mins Ill see if I can help, if not I will leave I promise, I can only help you...if you are all set I will tell you."

Now sometimes if they try to engage me at the door about insurance pricing etc I have made the mistake of talking a little too much but not anymore, if they start asking about pricing just tell them you have no idea, you know nothing about their health or affordability. If they say they just wanted to know how much it was ask them how much they want to pay, then pivot off the number and adjust to get them to let you in the door, once in sit at the table and proceed with a regular presentation.

Ill admit it is very easy to want to joust them at the door on price but Ive learned to just ask them what they want to pay.

In the end if you dont get in the door and its a lost cause and your gut tells you it is dead then have a little fun, pull a columbo and as you are walking off turn around and say, ya know I forgot we got plans starting at $5 month, if you want Ill grab the info from the car, as they say sure....then drive off:D

I'm curious?

It will take at most 5 minutes. Objection 1 complete.

"Mame I drove 100 miles to see you today so all in asking for is 5 minutes of your time".You obviously took the time to fill this card out so can't you take 1/2 that time to let me present the info you obviously wanted. Voice inflection is obviously so important when you literally have 30 seconds to make an impression and get in that door. Give them a reason to let you in. The easy part of door knocking is getting in the door.The hard part is :
1.Catching them at home
2.Many times they're at home and refuse
to answer the door. Remember many of these
People are street smart and have been running
from creditors all there life. I do a few different things to try to overcome this. I put the lead in my pocket to pique there curiosity as 90% look out the window before answering the door. And I do different types of door knocks like knock knock slow then 5 fast ones.
3.In.the country many times finding the place is a huge challenge.Addresses seem to jump all over the place and have you real order at times
4. In the country dogs that roam unattended can be a big problem .
In the end sellng is the easy part. The great agents must first and foremost access what a client can afford are you're looking at a fast lapse. Whenever you establish what they say they can afford knock $5-$10 off. Also many of these people will give you clues like "I was paying $70 and just couldn't afford it". Offer them something at $50. Over selling somebody is death in the Fe business..

I'm curious?

When I'm door knocking and I get the objection "Now isn't a good time." They better have a damn good reason that they can't see me then, such as their keys are in their hand because they are heading out the door themselves.

If I knock and their is a husband and wife listed on the card but the person at the door says the other isn't home, then yes, I will ask them what would be a better time to sit with both of them.

If the person does give me the "now isn't a good time," and I then ask them why they sent the card in, "What were your thoughts, what is your concern?"

If they can't give me a reason, I give them my business card and tell them to call me when I can help them. I leave and the lead goes in the floorboard of my car as soon as I get in it. I will never go back to see that person. They are just wasting your time.

Petey and Crane's "5 minutes" is right on. One of the first things I learned when getting resistance at the door was "5 minutes buys you the next 5 minutes". Just get in and start earning those minutes. Another line I learned early and still use today is to tell them that if they don't have much time that I will give them the "Reader's Digest" version. Older folks get this analogy and this line works like a charm.:yes:

I understand the temptation to set an appointment right away (to a door knocker like myself, a set appointment can feel like a luxury). But if they are blowing smoke, they will continue to do so and lead you on.:arghh: Obviously, you want to set an appointment if the objection is real. Just press a little to make sure before setting the appointment.

Petey and Crane's "5 minutes" is right on. One of the first things I learned when getting resistance at the door was "5 minutes buys you the next 5 minutes". Just get in and start earning those minutes. Another line I learned early and still use today is to tell them that if they don't have much time that I will give them the "Reader's Digest" version. Older folks get this analogy and this line works like a charm.:yes:

I understand the temptation to set an appointment right away (to a door knocker like myself, a set appointment can feel like a luxury). But if they are blowing smoke, they will continue to do so and lead you on.:arghh: Obviously, you want to set an appointment if the objection is real. Just press a little to make sure before setting the appointment.
How much pressing do you like? I've had people not let me in after I tell them 5 minutes like 13 times. I'm like a repeating robot with the 5 minutes when anything comes out of their mouth. Haha.

Good stuff, PA -- I can tell you'd make a great agent trainer.

How much pressing do you like? I've had people not let me in after I tell them 5 minutes like 13 times. I'm like a repeating robot with the 5 minutes when anything comes out of their mouth. Haha.

That is a hard question to answer. You have to read each person on a case by case by case basis. You don't want to tick them off as it is game over then. I sincerely admire your tenacity and persistence but getting in should be the least of your worries. Getting these stubborn procrastinators to cut a check is the hard part, imho. Maybe you need to relax and not seem so eager and robotic? I don't know, as I haven't seen you in action. But you seem to have a killer instinct that can't be taught. But save that for the close. At the door just act like it's no big deal and you're just a regular Joe merely doing his job and getting the info out.

Does your IMO offer "ride alongs"? If not, maybe get with someone on here like Bennie or Agentguy (aggressive producers and field managers)? I am not recommending any particular IMO. But they stand out to me as guys who are aggressive and motivated field managers, as well as producers. You have the talent and instincts. Are you coachable?

Back